Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Feb 3, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,141 of 1,205

What source are you using?  Do the new cables have silver as a component?

I find them fatiguing with any source at medium to high volume. I have used them with N4, C3 and DX50. On classical tracks they are great, but with rock I can't stand much time without having to lower the volume. Maybe it's my recordings or because I can't get a deep insertion.

And our perception of what it's neutral and what's not depends on which is our reference. My neutral bass reference is the R-50 for now. Maybe when I try a really neutral headphone I'll adapt myself and see that the R-50 bass isn't that neutral as I thought.

So for now I find them a little bass light and bright, but that's just my opinion.

I don't know if I made myself clear xD

Sure!  You made yourself clear.  Which IEMs do you have with the same amount of treble that you don't find fatiguing?  With some recordings, the very upper mids where female vocals stand, sound somewhat harsh.  But, with most recordings everything sounds smooth.  However, I never listen at high volume for long.  At high volume, there might be more recordings where the female vocals would sound shouty.

Which instruments or voices sound fatiguing to you? 

My neutral bass reference are also the R-50.  I also find them bass light with a few recordings.  However, when I am in basshead mode, the R-50 bass is obviously insufficient.  I have a grateful soul, which makes me appreciate variety in life.

Feb 3, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #1,142 of 1,205
  Or Shure Black Olives. I tried Etymotic tri flanges, because many users recommend them, but to me they are uncomfortable. 

Those did not work for me either.  Even though, I have medium size ears, my ear canals are very large and those triple flange tips where not big enough to provide a seal.  The large stock tips work well with my ears.

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,143 of 1,205
Need some advice, my R-50s broke (where the cable terminates to the 3.5 adapter).  I absolutely love them and think they are perfect in every way except maybe build quality.  So I'm considering whether I should stick with R-50s or if you guys have any recommendations for similar sounding IEMs that have detachable cables.  Thanks in advance

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #1,145 of 1,205
I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but i do find these to be slightly warm in the low end yet slightly bight in the high end.

Im using comply tips, i have used them with the ety tri flange tips but after a while i found them a bit restricting on sound stage for me.

there also seems to be a lot of complaints about the cable breaking at the connector, I find wrapping the connector area with electrical tape really adds to the stress relief. do recommend

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #1,146 of 1,205
  Need some advice, my R-50s broke (where the cable terminates to the 3.5 adapter).  I absolutely love them and think they are perfect in every way except maybe build quality.  So I'm considering whether I should stick with R-50s or if you guys have any recommendations for similar sounding IEMs that have detachable cables.  Thanks in advance

Exact same thing happened to me, but I love them to much to let them go (plus I voided my warranty by removing the ear guides). 

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #1,147 of 1,205

Exact same thing happened to me, but I love them to much to let them go (plus I voided my warranty by removing the ear guides). 

Yah I'm getting the feeling there is nothing in this price range that can match the sound with a detachable cable.  SE215s would be a downgrade sound wise from what I hear and higher end Westone's with detachables are a lot more.  I might have to with the route of getting them repaired about once a year at this rate.  Let me know if anybody else has some suggestions.

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #1,149 of 1,205
GORE WARNING:

I washered and dryered them. The left ear was already intermittent and they had been approved for an RMA but I was planning on shipping them today. Wish me luck with this explanation.

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #1,152 of 1,205
Just bought these 2 weeks back, r50 certainly has more punchier bass, warmer mid than most single BA. The treble is a bright too. It's really good for rock especially modern rock that utilizes more overdrive and distortion. And, I too cannot stand using it for rock music too long.

The soundstage is very good for this price, a more impactful might give it better live like sound stage.

I love my r50. Just that sometimes, I find the bass a lacking in some rock & pop songs and vocal not warm enough for some male vocals, making the manly thick vocal sounds thin and less touching.

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #1,153 of 1,205
Hi All,

I have been using the R-50(reshelled) on and off for the past year and half. Well its a long story and the build quality was horrendous.

STORY >> I had a GH-ERC-DMS TWFK iem( B2 clones) which were the best earphones under $100.00 that I got used from another headfier (were replaced under warranty from Japan)... and they were pretty analytical with next to no bass...
I tried to get them reshelled by Rob at In ear custom( old name) .... the shipment was stolen and by chance - ever generous Rob bought me an R-50. It had an absolute top-class sound with adequate bass and was a much refined version of the GH-ERC-DMS, however the build quality broke it for me .... and the left channel had an internal disconnection.

Rob offered to reshell it for me and put on shure SE-535 MMCX connectors FOR FREE!! ... I have been using the reshelled R-50s for over a year and I am very happy.. Though his custom IEM finishing has gotten way better today ... I am proud to have done business with a gentleman like Rob.

Eitherway to answer some of your questions I read about the previous few pages...

1. On amping - I do not think Amping will do a TWFK any good, especially one with with such high sensitivity ... and I think its about the VFM on purchasing an amp if R-50(reshelled or otherwise) is your main music driver ... I just can't do anything but laugh at anyone using a CMOY tube for driving an armature!! oh the impedance mis-match ! oh the horror ...!! thinking further about it .. I can only be scared of the BA drivers in your respective R-50s!

2. Source/DAC - this on the other hand is where I would ask any of you to concentrate - an ODAC will do you great wonders ...

3. File quality and treble - I think if the file quality is good enough, the R-50 will in turn be good and some of the sibilance and brightness will go away, perhaps even resolve it brilliantly like an RE-272 does! after all this is what 'neutral' means .......just a reflection of your audio chain!  If you still decide to use horribly compressed or poorly mastered files - try to get yourself some shure yellow foams - they make the treble way less bright!

happy listening!!

All the best guys ... .

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #1,154 of 1,205
I purchased the R-50's over a year ago as my first set of IEMs and absolutely loved the sound.  I had a couple of gripes with the earbud and replaced them with some better fitting etymotic flanges which made wearing the R-50's extremely comfortable.  Sadly after all this time the left ear bud has died and I'm guessing it maybe due to the wire being damaged at the junction between the ear piece and memory wire as it seems to be under quite a bit of torque. 

I'm not sure whether the price justifies the poor build quality as I was really hoping for these to last me more than just a year (A trend I hated with 20$ headphones) and I was especially careful in handling these IEMs since as a poor student these are quite an investment, so I am torn on recommending it. 

That being said, I'm not sure if this is the place to ask but with so many users here who have experience with the R-50's, I am looking to find an upgrade to the r-50 or at least something similar to it without downgrading to a cheaper sounding IEM.  From my research it seems like I've been spoiled with the amazing sound and price point of the R-50's but if anyone has some suggestions I'd love to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back