Rockhopper gone bad/missing?
Sep 4, 2009 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ttol

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone been in contact with Rockhopper/Stephen lately?

I ordered a B22 from him last year, it was supposed to be ready in February but after I emailed him back then, he said he had to rebuild something and that it would be delayed. I emailed him in May again and after couple tries he replied that the amp would be done by the end of the month. That's the last I have heard from him.

Edit: Thanks everyone, this is now resolved & we're done here.

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 22
Wow, that sounds so unlike Stephen. He's a busy man with a job and a family, but that is ridiculous. See if you can get paypal to intervene, or you could always figure out his home phone number. That does look suspiciously like yours. Why does crap like this happen?

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 22
What the shat, he unfriended me on Facebook. Looks like he's gone into hiding.

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 22
Plus, he pulled his website! Next stop, Me-hi-co!

Edit: his site's back?? Disappeared for a few minutes, it did.

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 22
If you check on AMB Laboratories DIY Audio Site, you will find that there is another approved builder besides Rockhopper -- only one other -- and that is Ying at YBMAudio.

YBMaudio

I have had problems with all kinds of builders, but never Ying. He is 100% the best. Always in full communication, makes all his dates as promised, always answers email and phone.

Highest quality and full of clever ideas. He built for me a fully balanced Beta 22 which is superb, and other stuff.

I have no connection with him -- just pulled his name off the amb site.

Lucky I did! If you want someone to build you a Beta 22, look no further!

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #9 of 22
That's all well and good, but the OP is out $1500+ so we need to help him get the money back. People think they can take $1500 from someone then pretend like it never happened, and sadly they often get away with it due to the weak laws.

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 22
Yeah, amb will find this thread, he always does...I was thinking just that. At least he's blatantly flown the coop (deleting online profiles and his site) vs. Mikhail which is hidden in plain view (still operating his site and will still gladly sell you an "amp")

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, his name is Stephen Katsaounis and he lives in Greensboro, NC and works as an Applications Analyst at UNC Greensboro. Go find his number then yell at him in Scandinavian tongues. I can't find his number yet, at least not without paying money. The hell if we're going to have another Singlepower here.

I'd hardly think it's time to invoke the SP name here. Is he way behind, yes, is he remiss in not responding to emails, absolutely, but last I checked every amp that he's ever built is pretty much still up and running. I will try and contact him and see what's going on but I hold no power over him to get him to do anything, I just happen to know him. I will also talk with Ti (amb) about removing Rockhopper from his website (not just the beta22 portion).

For now I'm going to suggest that if anyone has or had business with Stephen/Rockhopper has something to say about it that they use his feedback thread. Please don't turn this thread into something that needs to be locked.

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 22
Thanks everyone..

Paypal automatically closed the case since it's been more than 45 days... doh. I'll be calling them again to see if there's anything else they can do.

In the mean while, I sent another email this time through Rockhopper Dad Blog - Rockhopper Dad Blog contact form since he seems to have been rather active there.

Rockhopper Dad (RockhopperDad) on Twitter

Looks like he's about to become a daddy any day now so I guess I give him some more time before escalating this further.

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #15 of 22
Both sites are up and running for me. As I said, I'll reach out to him and post anything relevant. Until then I don't think there's much to be done unfortunately. Also, the posting of personal information (address, phone number) will not be permitted. The information is out there, people are free to find it on their own but please don't post it. I've also contacted amb so he doesn't need a flood of emails/PM's about this either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back