Rockhopper Audio
Apr 15, 2005 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tbonner1

Headphoneus Supremus
I have looked through the archives and have not read much feedback about Rockhopper Audio so I thought I would report on my experience.

Stephen Katsaounis is the “Head Penguin” (how can you not like anyone who loves Penguins) and he has just started his own business building headphone amplifiers. On his website: http://homepage.mac.com/skatsaounis/...udio/index.htm he lists his products and services. Currently he sells variations of the most popular amps: The Mint, Pimeta, PPA and the new M3, which I recently purchased from him. What is unique is that he offers a three year parts and labor warranty. Most other builders have up to 1 year or no mention of a warranty at all. If you don’t think this is important you haven’t had to take you prized component to the audio repair doctor lately. The cost of repair frequently exceeds the value of an item such as a headphone amp and many do not use the high end components (i.e. Alps, Black Gates, Elna Cerafine) that differentiates the sound of these amps and is their reason for being.

We are a very hard to please group here. Armed with enough technical information to be dangerous and ask technical questions about individual components such as opamps and buffers, but without the underlying electronics knowledge to know how what we are really asking about folds into the big picture. For example, I have found that merely upgrading to modern opamps on 2 different vintage FM tuners of similar design does not result in the same signature sound of that opamp you would expect. Seasoned amp builders such as JMT (who I have done business with in the past) have set the competitive bar very high. Thankfully, Tangent has provided well engineered and supported standard reference PCB platforms from which we can build on.

I was originally going to buy a PPA from Stephen a few months back. I had many questions about the Glassman buffers vs. the Intersil buffers. Then I was confused about the Larocco buffers, the V.2 version of the PPA and the new M3. Stephen took the time and answered every inane question with patience, fortitude and knowledge. If he didn’t know the answer to one of my questions he would tell me he didn’t and get back to me after he researched it. He always kept his agreements, which is extremely important to me. My amp was built on time with website updates on the build status and delivered with obvious care.

Stephen worked very hard to earn my business before and during the sale. I will submit a separate review of the M3 but the quality of his build and the components he uses shows the same high level of detail and integrity as the way he deals with people. I have read others say he a great guy(as is JMT) and I can tell you he is also a great guy to do business with. I also like the fact that he is active within our forum(username:Thrice) and attends various headphone meets.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Rockhopper Audio and have bought my amp for the same internet price as anyone else with no discounts or incentives. Be careful as many Internet based audio companies now offer rebates, T-shirts and other incentives in exchange for (positive) reviews.

Apr 15, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 13
I am currently in the process of purchasing an MMM amplifier from Stephen (Rockhopper Audio). He is a model of professionalism and a true gentleman in every way. I have learnt a few things observing him.

Brilliant...love the penguins
cool.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 13
While I build my own amps I have dealt with Stephen in the past and he's helped me out even though I wasn't buying anything, that's service! An all around great guy for sure and it's nice to see a customer take the time to post their experience outside the feedback forum (provided that's within the rules
smily_headphones1.gif
).

And I think you'll both love the M3, I've jamming to mine right now! It makes my Etys sing.

Nate

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1
I also like the fact that he is active within our forum(username:Thrice) and attends various headphone meets.

Not only has Thrice attended meets but he has hosted two of them at his home. Look for pictures and praise for his M3 amplifier on the latest DC meet thread.

Apr 15, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 13
Stephen demoed his prototype M-cubed amp for me. I voted with my checkbook, and bought it
smily_headphones1.gif
It's in the process of being tweaked right now. I'll post a review when I receive the finalized amp and have some listening time in on it.

Apr 15, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiniti029
My portable Rockhopper PIMETA just arrived today. Do amps sound any better with burn in, or is it more just a placebo effect?

This is a bit off-topic but I've found with every amp that I've owned that there has been a general trend towards gettting just a bit "better" with some burn in. As to whether or not that's a result of me getting used to the amp or an actually physical change I do not know. It's never been a radical change though.

N

Apr 16, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 13
Looks interesting... like many others, I'm sure, I am monitoring the PPA v2.0 vs. M3 vs. Gilmore Lite/Dynalo at the moment. Let us know if you are happy with the M-cubed performance.

Apr 16, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 13
The M3 review will be posted soon. I wanted to wait to burn it in before comparison to other amps.

I think this amp has sounded better with burn in. I would like to do a comparison of a burned in M3 with an identical one that is not burned in to tell for sure. I also think that part of the "improvment" many hear may be just getting acclaimaited to the different sounding amp and partially wanting to like your new purchase.

Some offer as a reason amps and other electrical components sound better after burn in is due to the caps reforming after a while along with other passive components.

Apr 16, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1
I also think that part of the "improvment" many hear may be just getting acclaimaited to the different sounding amp and partially wanting to like your new purchase..

Yes, I think this may have something to do with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 13
Stephen is a great guy to deal with, and to hang out with...just don't drink his apple juice (private joke)
eek.gif
. If I needed an amp right now, or had some extra income, his M cubed, would definitely be on my shelf.

Apr 16, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #13 of 13
m3 = great amp. i love mine. my dynalo is out of action atm, but the m3 seems to be better then the dynalo was. it sounds more "complete"

if you have some time, it might be worth reading some of the ppa2 and m3 threads in the diy forum, there's some info there that might help you get an angle on the two. the ppa2 still maintains the ability to be powered by a battery pack, whereas the m3 is purely mains powered. the heatsinks on my m3 run at 45c with an ambient room temp of about 25c. thats a lot of power being dissipated that would be a waste of battery power if it was run off batteries, so i guess thats where some concessions may have been made in the ppa2's output stage.

i'm sure the ppa2 carries on the tradition of the first version, a fine amp with or without the m3 as a competitor!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back