Rockbox Xduoo X3
Oct 23, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #2,446 of 2,617
Just bought a X3II, put XVortex's dual-boot with Rockbox on there.

In HIBY player:
  • Weird skin
  • All functionality (USB DAC, Bluetooth)
  • Sleep mode
  • XVortex's tweak allows 30000 max songs rather than 15000....I am only using 1500 at the moment :p
In Rockbox:
  • Sound seems to pop every time a track is started from nothing (especially from poweron), not between
  • Battery life seems to be shocking in comparison, need to try and work out a proper way to compare
  • Ok theme, further themes can be added via Android ADB (I used qtADB) but most break...few rockbox themes have had to operate at this resolution I guess
    Would really like it to display bitrate/format on the now playing screen.
  • Unsure how to lock keys
  • Last.fm logging (this means so much to me, but the battery life is a big problem that may make me only use HIBY)

Welcome friend!

You should probably check over here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-xduoo-x-serie-dap-x20-x10-x3-xduoo-are-on-fire.867522/

This thread is for the original X3 (not the X3ii).

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #2,447 of 2,617
Has anyone else noticed this?

I noticed this since the first tests I did when my X3 arrived, but I never said anything because some people commented it was not true... I use it in a combo with Fiio E07K to power my Havi B3 Pro I. Only the X3 with stock firmware can deliver the right output signal to make them properly sing, and the combination is truly amazing. Sometimes I use the X3 with KZ ZS6 or Tin Audio T2, and the difference between Stock firm and Rockbox is easy to notice on both, but the bigger difference is when I plug the Grado SR80. Stock firm sounds more clean and full than Rockbox, I dont know why either.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #2,448 of 2,617
So it's been so long since I've listened to music on the X3's stock firmware. I hate to admit, but it seems to sound better on the stock firmware vs Rockbox. I am not sure why.

It is not the +6dB gain default on the stock firmware, because that XVortex built that into his Rockbox port. And it's not the slightly faster timing. It's the actual sound. It just sounds cleaner and clearer, with a bit more clarity and resolution. A/Bing the exact same songs in Rockbox sound slightly darker and slightly lower resolution.

I've tinkered with all of the Rockbox settings I can think of - I just can't get it to sound as good as the stock firmware sounds.

I have the same experience.
Special with the 24bits recordings. Rockbox sample them down to 16bits. So there must be some loss in the signal.
It's to bad the stock firmware doesn't do gappless playback...
Therefore I'm happy dualboot is working again :)

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #2,449 of 2,617
I have the same experience.
Special with the 24bits recordings. Rockbox sample them down to 16bits. So there must be some loss in the signal.
It's to bad the stock firmware doesn't do gappless playback...
Therefore I'm happy dualboot is working again :)

Ah, so is that what the sound difference is?

I think I can live with the lack of gapless as a trade-off for the obviously superior sound of the stock firmware. It is painful to give up the EQ and many other nice features of Rockbox though :frowning2:

I just don’t seem to remember this big of a difference between the stock firmware and Rockbox on my Sansa Clip+ and iPod Classic. But then again, I am not able to directly A/B the stock vs Rockboxed version back to back like I can with the X3.

It’s very possible those have the same sound differences too, and I just don’t realize it because it’s been so long since I’ve had the stock firmware on those devices that Ibdint even remember.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #2,450 of 2,617
Ah, so is that what the sound difference is?

I think I can live with the lack of gapless as a trade-off for the obviously superior sound of the stock firmware. It is painful to give up the EQ and many other nice features of Rockbox though :frowning2:

I just don’t seem to remember this big of a difference between the stock firmware and Rockbox on my Sansa Clip+ and iPod Classic. But then again, I am not able to directly A/B the stock vs Rockboxed version back to back like I can with the X3.

It’s very possible those have the same sound differences too, and I just don’t realize it because it’s been so long since I’ve had the stock firmware on those devices that Ibdint even remember.

fyi ... Clip+ also have dual boot feature with Rockbox, hold down Prev button then power on to boot to stock firmware.

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #2,451 of 2,617
So it's been so long since I've listened to music on the X3's stock firmware. I hate to admit, but it seems to sound better on the stock firmware vs Rockbox. I am not sure why.

It is not the +6dB gain default on the stock firmware, because that XVortex built that into his Rockbox port. And it's not the slightly faster timing. It's the actual sound. It just sounds cleaner and clearer, with a bit more clarity and resolution. A/Bing the exact same songs in Rockbox sound slightly darker and slightly lower resolution.

I've tinkered with all of the Rockbox settings I can think of - I just can't get it to sound as good as the stock firmware sounds.

Yes, I like the stock sound better. I can't use it much tho' because most of my files are 44k and I cannot stand the slow playing of them.

I've pretty much written off XDuoo ( and cheap chinese brands in general ) as not having the right mind set for customer responsibility. The way they handled the faulty speed thing is unforgivable. Not the slightest hint of partnership with the paying customers.

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #2,452 of 2,617
Yes, I like the stock sound better. I can't use it much tho' because most of my files are 44k and I cannot stand the slow playing of them.

I've pretty much written off XDuoo ( and cheap chinese brands in general ) as not having the right mind set for customer responsibility. The way they handled the faulty speed thing is unforgivable. Not the slightest hint of partnership with the paying customers.

The lack of gapless with stock is a deal breaker for me. Too many albums require it. No problem for those who listen to albums consisting of individual songs and/or shuffle play. Yes I know that gapless albums can be ripped into one long file but I don't want to have to do that. So with that and the pitch error it is rockbox or nothing for me. Never listened stock... rockboxed mine the day it arrived.

Oct 27, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #2,453 of 2,617
The lack of gapless with stock is a deal breaker for me. Too many albums require it. No problem for those who listen to albums consisting of individual songs and/or shuffle play. Yes I know that gapless albums can be ripped into one long file but I don't want to have to do that. So with that and the pitch error it is rockbox or nothing for me. Never listened stock... rockboxed mine the day it arrived.

That’s basically what I did too, as soon as I saw the lack of EQ. I wish now I had given it more of a chance.

I almost always listen to shuffle mode, so the lack of gapless wasn’t a total deal breaker for me like it is for others.

I do agree with @EmPathWalker though - my next DAP will be a step up from the bottom feeder Chinese budget players. They have their place, but they each have their own flaky little quirks.

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #2,454 of 2,617
Slater,
I highly recommend theBit OPUS#1 (original, not the newest one). they're fairly inexpensive now and punch way above their cost.
what i really appreciated was that there were a few 'glitches' identified to theBit, they released new firmware. I like having a
company that respects and responds to their customers. As much as I liked my X3 I won't be doing any further business with Xduoo.

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #2,456 of 2,617
600$ player inexpensive... in which part of the world do you live?
My X3 costed me 66€. Recommending us a 600$ player seems like a joke if I'm being honest here...

I have the X3 and I also have the Opus #1. I do NOT consider my Opus to be inexpensive. Far from it. I only use it at home. It is too big and bulky for me to consider pocketable. Very nice dap though.

Oct 30, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #2,457 of 2,617
The original Opus#1 is now selling for $299 without case.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwjAjuWOpq7eAhVikeAKHWtxAA4Q9A4IuwE&adurl=
The prices listed above are more in line with the Opus#1s or the #3.
given the prices of some daps (AK, Sony etc.) the 299 is inexpensive.
for me personally the support for the Opus and the fact I've gotten responses from theBit makes it worth it,
can't say how many emails to Xduoo went unanswered, but it's not the type of company I want to give my money to.

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #2,459 of 2,617
It's a nice DAP for this price, but it also depends on your taste / ears / what device you had earlier.

I owned X2 before I got X3. I never liked my X3 and got rid of it soon, despite the fact that I got even cheaper (50 USD).

Then I got X10 and stopped (thinking about X20 but not sure if I really need it, lol).

So now I am with X2 when I move and on X10 when I am at my PC.

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #2,460 of 2,617
It's a nice DAP for this price, but it also depends on your taste / ears / what device you had earlier.

I owned X2 before I got X3. I never liked my X3 and got rid of it soon, despite the fact that I got even cheaper (50 USD).

Then I got X10 and stopped (thinking about X20 but not sure if I really need it, lol).

So now I am with X2 when I move and on X10 when I am at my PC.
I had n3 than got myself m3s thinking of that may be dual 4490 makes somewhat difference but then again back to n3 and recently had r3 with me and now wanted to try x20 but got this great offer around me and suddenly thought of try xduoo with x3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back