Rockbox Xduoo X3
Mar 5, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #2,191 of 2,617
Hello,

am suspecting I have soft bricked it, I say soft brick because the Ingenic USB boot option shows up when I plug the drive in to the windows 10 machine.

My questions are how can I undo this and get rockbox going?

Second question, would it be easier to do this in Linux the recovering and then flashing rockbox? I do have two Linux virtual machines, both 64 bit, one Debian8 the other Ubuntu 17.10.

ok. So you left it there and you got no error message it just appeared to hang on the burn tool during the flash?

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #2,192 of 2,617
Yes, it worked perfectly with my two 32gb sd card but when i removed my 32 gb sd card in the second slot and inserted 64 gb card, my xduoo x3 didn't recognize it even it had been formatted to FAT32

You could try....update database, in settings/general/database. "Update now". It will force the unit to self reflect. After update is done.. power down the unit. Wait about 5 seconds power up again. In the memu you should see <microsd x> if not. Try and format the csrd again with default cluster size.

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #2,194 of 2,617
Anyone having issues sd cards not being recognised, @bsoplinger posted links to the direct sd formatting tool a few pages back [145?] i can't quote at the moment ... i think this tablet wants to have an afterlife as a frisbee.

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #2,196 of 2,617
@Drumkrunk Thanks for your reply. Yes it appeared to hang during the burn now I don't get anything out of it. I press and hold power and get nothing on the screen at all.

In reading this thread I now know where I went wrong, older instructions, and how to get rockbox going, I just need now to get stock firmware back so I can do so.

I am using windows 10 x64 but also have access to two Linux virtual machines if that would make this easier.

As I said the Inegenic device is showing up so I'm assuming I'm soft bricked.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
Dave.

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #2,197 of 2,617
Seriously.... I am struggling. Sorry for the question. Ive been searching the forum for the last 2 hrs and have seen topics on this but STILL cannot get it working.
Im getting the message "error: File not found"
Whats wrong here?
When i restart it quickly flashes to the Rockbox startup screen but then straight to the "error: File not found" screen?
My SD card is FAT32 32gb?
How do i fix this?

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #2,198 of 2,617
Seriously.... I am struggling. Sorry for the question. Ive been searching the forum for the last 2 hrs and have seen topics on this but STILL cannot get it working.
Im getting the message "error: File not found"
Whats wrong here?
When i restart it quickly flashes to the Rockbox startup screen but then straight to the "error: File not found" screen?
My SD card is FAT32 32gb?
How do i fix this?
Did you copy all the files to the root folder of the SD card?

Mar 7, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #2,199 of 2,617
I've been having issues with my X3, it seems to keep crashing with a kernel (?) panic. I cant get the error message now but the database has to be re-initialised every time and its rather often.

Are there any instructions for reinstalling or removing rockbox? Google gives me mixed messages and I'm unsure what to follow as I dont want to brick.

I'd like to remove so I can re-install again.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #2,200 of 2,617
I've been having issues with my X3, it seems to keep crashing with a kernel (?) panic. I cant get the error message now but the database has to be re-initialised every time and its rather often.

Are there any instructions for reinstalling or removing rockbox? Google gives me mixed messages and I'm unsure what to follow as I dont want to brick.

Any changes to any settings get stored in the .rockbox folder. The idea being that you copy that folder to a new SD card and you'll retain all the changes you've made to any setting. The good thing about that is you can reset back to the original settings by just deleting the existing folder and copying a new version taken from the RockBox zip. I'd suggest that as a good first step to make sure that you didn't change something in a really bad way (although I have no idea how you actually could do that) and don't have a corrupted file or song info database or anything like that. So give that a try as a simple fix. Might not help but at least you know that you're now working with a known good set of RockBox files.

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #2,201 of 2,617
Did you copy all the files to the root folder of the SD card?

When you say "root" folder... What do you mean?

Ive downloaded the 2 files

ie 1) X3-Rockbox.rar - which i open and the folder "update.zip" is in. I drag this "update.zip" folder across to the FAT32 micro sd card ive inserted into my Macbook.
2) rockbox-full-d898b8c-170609.zip - I unzip and it is labelled rockbox-full-d898b8c-170609. I add .rockbox to this folder so it reads rockbox-full-d898b8c-170609.rockbox and I drag this folder across to the FAT32 micro sd card ive inserted into my Macbook.

I then remove the Micro SD card and put in the "MicroSD slot 1" and run update.
It runs the update and looks like its working but then nothing happens and the message appears ""error: File not found"
argh.....
Thanks for the response and help
Much appreciated

Mar 8, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #2,202 of 2,617
When you say "root" folder... What do you mean?

Ive downloaded the 2 files

ie 1) X3-Rockbox.rar - which i open and the folder "update.zip" is in. I drag this "update.zip" folder across to the FAT32 micro sd card ive inserted into my Macbook.
2) rockbox-full-d898b8c-170609.zip - I unzip and it is labelled rockbox-full-d898b8c-170609. I add .rockbox to this folder so it reads rockbox-full-d898b8c-170609.rockbox and I drag this folder across to the FAT32 micro sd card ive inserted into my Macbook.

I then remove the Micro SD card and put in the "MicroSD slot 1" and run update.
It runs the update and looks like its working but then nothing happens and the message appears ""error: File not found"
argh.....
Thanks for the response and help
Much appreciated
You had the right general idea but got the specifics wrong.
1) unrar this to get update.zip and drag the zip file to the SD card.
2) unzip this to get a .rockbox folder and that also gets copied to the SD card. If you are getting a folder with the name of the archive then look inside that folder and you should see a .rockbox folder there and that's what you drag to the SD card.

When I say root folder I just mean not inside any folder. Since you're using a Mac the root level is what you see when you double click on the disk icon (or floppy or CD DVD or Flash drive, etc)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #2,203 of 2,617

What is the exact error message you get? There’s different error messages, with different causes/solutions.

Mar 8, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #2,204 of 2,617
Any changes to any settings get stored in the .rockbox folder. The idea being that you copy that folder to a new SD card and you'll retain all the changes you've made to any setting. The good thing about that is you can reset back to the original settings by just deleting the existing folder and copying a new version taken from the RockBox zip. I'd suggest that as a good first step to make sure that you didn't change something in a really bad way (although I have no idea how you actually could do that) and don't have a corrupted file or song info database or anything like that. So give that a try as a simple fix. Might not help but at least you know that you're now working with a known good set of RockBox files.

What is the exact error message you get? There’s different error messages, with different causes/solutions.

I've done what bsoplinger said, and I will report back when I find/get the error messages again.

I used http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/download.htm -> rockbox-full-d898b8c-170609.zip .rockbox folder and copied it into the root of both SD cards, removing the previous .rockbox folder first.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #2,205 of 2,617
Hello,

First step, got it working. Does anyone know why a win10 pc wouldn't charge the x3? I had it plugged in and it wouldn't charge, plugged it in to the wall and it took the juice.

Second item I put the update.zip file on the micro sd card booted the original firmware I either ran update or upgrade can't remember which one of those has a lib update and another that didn't sound right, I think I picked upgrade.

I downloaded the files X3-Rockbox.rar and rockbox-full-d898b8c-170609.zip

I unrared both of these files. Icopied the update.zip and the .rockbox to the root of the micro sd card. It's formatted fat32 and is 32GB in size. So the root of the sd card has the .rockbox folder and the update.zip.

Am I good so far?

Thanks.
Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back