Rockbox Xduoo X3
Sep 30, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #1,906 of 2,617
I got the Cayin N3 in the pipeline..and i have the X3 as my main player right now.Please let me know what you think SOUNDWICE is the biggest diffrence between the two..ONLY the sound.

Thanks for reading..
I would say they are closely matched soundwise and any differences you perceive will depend on a lot of things that I won't be able to duplicate such as which iems or headphones you use, preferred sound settings (each player having a wide variety of settings) etc. Having said that and keeping in mind that my subjective impression cannot really be a definitive statement for you, I would say that the sub-base of the N3 is more focused, whereas in the X3 it tends to become more a part of the soundstage, but this is with single-driver iems. It may change with dual or triple drivers. There's nothing wrong with either presentation and any preference will be subjective. I think it's safe to say that if you like one you will not be disappointed in the other, but you also won't be blown away by the difference.

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #1,907 of 2,617
I got Rockbox on my X3 and it works very well! A nice alternative to my aging Sansa Clip+ seeing as the new clips probably will never have Rockbox running on them!

I ran into some difficulties so I figured I'd share my experience;

I first downloaded everything mentioned on the http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/manual.htm page and started with the "first time installation" instructions. I got through steps 1-5 but whenever I'd click "upgrade" in the settings it would always say: firmware not found. I tried reformatting the MicroSD several times and tried slightly different folder structures from the instructions with no luck. I eventually set the files back in as the instructions said and looked further down the page to "first time manual installation"

Steps 1-9 went perfectly fine but I wasnt seeing progress on the Ingeinc burn tool. I figured initially that it must have been because I ran the BAT file before I installed the JZ4760 USB drivers so I closed the burn tool and ran the BAT file as an administrator and got a "Windows cannot find 'USBBurnTool.exe" error and the command promp window simply said "'inifile.exe' is not recognized as an interal or external command, operable program or batch file". Okay, so I dont want to run this administrator! So, I unplugged the X3 and started again from step 6. Once I reconnected the X3 in the fashion the instructions say, I started to get a progress bar on device 2 only in the Ingeinc burn tool window. After about 30 seconds it stopped at around 40% and gave an error saying "unable to write INI". When I clicked OK everything closed.

The scary part is that my device was acting like it was bricked after this. The power button did nothing. Plugging it into USB or a power adapter had no observable effect. Holding down options as I plugged it into a USB slot had windows pop up with: Unrecognized device. Not good! I tried disconnecting the battery and letting the device sit for a while with no luck. I removed the micro SD card; no difference. Finally I tried pressing the reset switch with a pin on the X3 and held it for around 5 seconds and suddenly it popped up with rockbox! Okay, not an ideal process but I'll run with it!

Been using it for just today so far and it works just as well as my Clip+ although it sounds a bit better. They may want to recheck the english instructions and perhaps the usb burn tool!

Oct 15, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #1,910 of 2,617
I can not get my pny 128gb micro sd to work at all. I have formatted it FAT32 4K in quick format and full format. It will see the card in ofw but not in rockbox fw.
What am I missing here?

Here is the card I have.
https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-Microsdxc-UHS-I-P-SDU128U185EL-GE/dp/B01G26R7LA

I'd try reformatting the sd in 64k cluster size. All of my micro SDs in 16GB or larger seem to be formatted with that by default and they all work. 4K seems awfully small for that microsd size.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #1,912 of 2,617
- Have you got a spare uSD card? Test the installation of the RB firmware on that card...
- Use a different computer for the installation
- Read over and over the installation 'How To' (there are quite a few very explicit guides in this thread)

Still failing? Try to be very explicit describing the installation procedure you've being doing (step-by-step) with the errors encountered...

There is no 'magic' in the RB installation; failures are caused by:
- user's mistakes (most cases)
- hardware failure

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #1,913 of 2,617
I have tried multiple micro sd cards that worked in installing rockbox and playing music in rockbox on my brand new xduoo x3 with absolutely no errors.

All the cards I have tested were 16gb or less. The one and only 128gb micro sd card I own (bought at walmart) will not install rockbox or get recognized in rockbox.
I believe I have tried every possible fat32 format with two different format apps (including the one in the guide on post #1).
I have also gone over a few guides that I have found on loading rockbox on the x3 and nothing seems to work. I’ve gone step by step, carefully reading in case I have missed something.

This isn’t my first rockbox install so I do know my way around. However, this one issue with my 128gb has got my head spinning backwards.

I do appreciate the help.

Oct 16, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #1,914 of 2,617
Recent postings regarding formatting of larger than 32gb cards for the X3 might not have been necessary had the posters taken some time to see what was posted in the past... a common symptom of the quick fix info age we live in, as it applies to hep forums, I guess.

Quoted below is a first page posting by Bob A (SD) On August 3, 2016 about the special formatting needs of large cards. 'Worked for me. Mac users might have no trouble or different trouble. Good Luckhttps://www.head-fi.org/members/bob-a-sd.5791/

>>> Well to start off the "pearls of wisdom" repository here, a helpful hint about formating mSD cards larger than 32Gb in FAT32.

Windows will not allow formatting in FAT32 of storage devices greater than 32Gb. EmPathWalker posted about Ridgecrop Consultant's free guiformat.exe which allows devices like mSD's with capacities greater than 32Gb to be properly formatted in FAT32 with 4096 bytes per sector. It's what I personally used too and is highly recommended.

And as an aside if you format in FAT32 and it is NOT 4096 bytes per sector you will get a "Update Files Not Found" warning when you try to Rockbox your xDuoo X3.
<<<

Oct 16, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #1,915 of 2,617
I just tried formating fat32 64k and didnt working. Rockbox doesnt see it at all.

What program are you using to format the card?

I have (2) of those exact cards and they both work fine in the Rockboxed X3.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #1,918 of 2,617
I have used
guiformat-x64.exe
EaseUS Partition Master 12.5
and I think i even used rufus.

After it's formatted, do you have a proper .rockbox folder (with the appropriate Rockbox files in said folder) on the root of the memory card?

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,920 of 2,617
I do copy the .rockbox folder over yes. I hope its not faulty. Very odd that it works in everything else.

Not sure then. Mine work fine. From everything that you've described so far, yours should too.

You can verify that the card is not defective by using the h2testw utility. The download site and utility is in german, but there is a option to change the language to english.

In fact, any time I buy ANY flash memory (USB, memory cards, etc), before I format and use it in anything I verify it with h2testw. Not only does it identify the fake memory cards, it also reveals defects. I've saved myself countless headaches and lost data over the years by following that 1 simple rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back