Rockbox Xduoo X3
Jun 8, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #1,711 of 2,617
Dear XVortex,

not sure whether my question is dumb...
Is it possible to modify the content of update.zip (especially rockbox.bin/u-boot-nand.bin) using your branch of rockbox?
As you probably read already, I have some interest in a modified dual-boot procedure...

And my naive assumption would have been, that there must be some way to change the button-combination used for dual-boot. :p
Is this in principle possible or not at all easy to reach? (In the latter case, I'd finally give up. :p)
(I didn't mess with the rockbox booting before, just used the official sources to change some button-functions when I used a partially broken Sansa Fuze v2, and for convenience also changed some buttons in the x3-rockbox...)

Best,
Raving

Jun 8, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #1,712 of 2,617
I spy with my little eye... AUTOMATIC setting for frequency in settings, playback, frequency. Am i right to assume that if set to auto, the player will load a file, will then check to see if it's 44.1(or multiple of 44.1) or 48(or multiple of 48)khz and will set the DAC to this respective frequency BEFORE the playback of each file begins? So we can mix 44.1 and 48khz files in the same folder and they will playback correctly now? Without resampling? This is huge. And i don't see this on any other rockbox player even with the latest 3.14 version, and i have ipod classic, ipod mini, ipod nano, samsung yh920, iriver H120, sony nwz-e383, creative zen, creative mozaic, creative xfi2 all with rockbox and none of them has this AUTO setting. Maybe Xvortex can shine some light on this one :)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #1,715 of 2,617
I am using my Rockboxed X3 (infinite kudos for XVortex btw!) in the car, where it is always plugged in, but it doesn't work as flawlessly as my old SansaClip+.

It doesn't always pauses when I leave the car and, a bit more annoying, it auto-pauses quite often, both on the line out as on the headphone out.

I noticed it is more prone to auto-pause on hot days and on line out. Unplugging the USB charger seems to solve it, so I get the feeling that it's a power or battery issue.

Anyone has any ideas?

Jun 9, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #1,716 of 2,617
I am using my Rockboxed X3 (infinite kudos for XVortex btw!) in the car, where it is always plugged in, but it doesn't work as flawlessly as my old SansaClip+.

It doesn't always pauses when I leave the car and, a bit more annoying, it auto-pauses quite often, both on the line out as on the headphone out.

I noticed it is more prone to auto-pause on hot days and on line out. Unplugging the USB charger seems to solve it, so I get the feeling that it's a power or battery issue.

Anyone has any ideas?

I seem to remember mention of problems with auto-pause on the line out. It was a while ago, so I don't remember the specifics. It could have even been something along the lines of auto-pause not even working at all on line out. You'd have to search around in this thread - it was 20-30 pages ago.

All I know is I tried auto-pause myself, and it was nothing but an unreliable headache. So I stopped using it, and have had no problems since.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #1,718 of 2,617
Today's d898b8c-170609:
- Two battery types are now supported (Coke/Graphite anode). If You unsatisfied with your battery percentage curve, you may switch to another type.
- (Auto) changing playback frequency (44100/48000) is more smoother now.
XVortex - you're a genius. Is there any chance you might be able to include a change-log on your website, so that people can keep up with the changes you make at each update?
Many thanks.

Jun 11, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,719 of 2,617
I seem to remember mention of problems with auto-pause on the line out. It was a while ago, so I don't remember the specifics. It could have even been something along the lines of auto-pause not even working at all on line out. You'd have to search around in this thread - it was 20-30 pages ago.

All I know is I tried auto-pause myself, and it was nothing but an unreliable headache. So I stopped using it, and have had no problems since.

I found those messages indeed, but the fix was a clean Rockbox install, which didn't do the trick for me.
I can live without the function as well, but I got used to it working flawlessly on my Clip+

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #1,720 of 2,617
Hi, first post but I joined specifically to ask a question here.

Is the Resume Play function working right for other people? I bought the X3 just recently specifically for the RockBox alternative. I use my player mainly in the car as I drive a lot while I work. Simple setup with a cassette adapter to the original GM stereo in my old Buick, and through an FM radio transmitter in my other vehicle. Resume play function is pretty important in this application as I drive 10-120 minutes typically between multiple stops in my day. I make some very long m3u playlists.

For me, Rockbox goes back to the first file in my playlist every time I pause/power off. Pause/play with no power off resumes as expected. Can't seem to find the magic combination that activates the feature. Or else I'm doing something wrong with the playlist creation. I'm not a total newb to Rockbox, but it has been a long time since I experimented with it on an iRiver H10 about 8 years ago. I've been using an original Zune player for the past 9 years.

So yes, I've basically had the player just over 2 days now, installed Rockbox new on Friday night, added my entire music collection of 8000+ mp3 files, thought I initialized the DB right, then started trying to learn the system. Using a Samsung 128GB card properly formatted as this thread instructed with FAT32/4096 bytes. I do have another 32GB card that I can experiment with a 2nd RB installation with about half the of the music collection available to check things.

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #1,721 of 2,617
Hi, first post but I joined specifically to ask a question here.

Is the Resume Play function working right for other people? I bought the X3 just recently specifically for the RockBox alternative. I use my player mainly in the car as I drive a lot while I work. Simple setup with a cassette adapter to the original GM stereo in my old Buick, and through an FM radio transmitter in my other vehicle. Resume play function is pretty important in this application as I drive 10-120 minutes typically between multiple stops in my day. I make some very long m3u playlists.

For me, Rockbox goes back to the first file in my playlist every time I pause/power off. Pause/play with no power off resumes as expected. Can't seem to find the magic combination that activates the feature. Or else I'm doing something wrong with the playlist creation. I'm not a total newb to Rockbox, but it has been a long time since I experimented with it on an iRiver H10 about 8 years ago. I've been using an original Zune player for the past 9 years.

So yes, I've basically had the player just over 2 days now, installed Rockbox new on Friday night, added my entire music collection of 8000+ mp3 files, thought I initialized the DB right, then started trying to learn the system. Using a Samsung 128GB card properly formatted as this thread instructed with FAT32/4096 bytes. I do have another 32GB card that I can experiment with a 2nd RB installation with about half the of the music collection available to check things.

The setting is under Settings -> General Settings -> Startup/Shutdown -> Resume Playback

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #1,722 of 2,617
Thank you Slater, however I did find that setting early on. It is currently on.

Update: I reflected on things a bit and realized I only was testing this on the m3u playlists I had created on my PC. I built a dynamic playlist directly selecting 1 album from the database, then directly selecting the folder of another album in files mode. So I have a dynamic playlist made adding songs in 2 different ways. This list (all created within RockBox) is saving it's place and does resume play. However my m3u playlists do not allow this. Neither does adding the m3u playlist to a dynamic list already started allow the resume to work. Am I looking at some kind of R/W permissions here?

Jun 18, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,723 of 2,617
Thank you Slater, however I did find that setting early on. It is currently on.

Update: I reflected on things a bit and realized I only was testing this on the m3u playlists I had created on my PC. I built a dynamic playlist directly selecting 1 album from the database, then directly selecting the folder of another album in files mode. So I have a dynamic playlist made adding songs in 2 different ways. This list (all created within RockBox) is saving it's place and does resume play. However my m3u playlists do not allow this. Neither does adding the m3u playlist to a dynamic list already started allow the resume to work. Am I looking at some kind of R/W permissions here?

Where are your .m3u playlist files? The .m3u playlist files need to be located in the /playlists directory in the root directory of the microsd disk.

You may also want to read this article over, as it explains the playlists very well: http://hopefulhacker.blogspot.com/2010/12/really-simple-directions-for-making.html

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #1,724 of 2,617
Where are your .m3u playlist files? The .m3u playlist files need to be located in the /playlists directory in the root directory of the microsd disk.

You may also want to read this article over, as it explains the playlists very well: http://hopefulhacker.blogspot.com/2010/12/really-simple-directions-for-making.html
Before turning in last night I think I had the problem traced to the m3u files. They were created using a program I downloaded recently to convert Zune playlists to m3u. When I opened up files in a text editor I could see all the unneeded code in the file. I manually edited one down to just /path/filenames as the article said (found that in my own Google search). However the behavior of resume play is not changed after that. I will work the problem more after work tonight.

Yes the playlist are in /playlists and MP3 files organized by artist and album under /music. I followed Rockbox guidelines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back