Rockbox Xduoo X3
Apr 5, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #1,636 of 2,617
my x3 is stuck on a screen after trying to roll back from rockbox to the stock firmware. 
just saying 'mounting disk' loading firmware. error file not found. cant get out of this screen. can anyone help?
kind regards

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #1,637 of 2,617
  To uninstall Rockbox and install Stock firmware please:

1) Download update-back-to-stock.zip to the root of the micro SD-card and rename it to update.zip;
2) Switch to original firmware and run firmware update;
3) Good luck with Stock firmware!

From http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/manual.htm

Did not work. When I upgrade it resets back to rockbox.

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #1,638 of 2,617
  Did not work. When I upgrade it resets back to rockbox.

Here's some troubleshooting tips to try:

1. Did you put upgrade.zip onto the root of the sd card? It must be located on the root of the sd card.

2. Are you using Windows? It's possible that the upgrade isn't working because the update.zip file isn't named upgrade.zip, but rather it's named upgrade.zip.zip

This happens because by default Windows hides extensions. To check this, enable the display of file extensions:

Windows XP, Vista, 7: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/865219/how-to-show-or-hide-file-name-extensions-in-windows-explorer
Windows 8, 8.1: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/show-file-extensions
Windows 10: https://www.file-extensions.org/article/show-and-hide-file-extensions-in-windows-10

Now put the sd card in a usb reader and look at the root of the card. You should see upgrade.zip

If the upgrade file is named upgrade.zip.zip, rename it and remove 1 of the ".zip" so it only says upgrade.zip

Then try the upgrade again.

Let us know how it goes.

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #1,639 of 2,617
HELP PLEASE
I sold mine and need to unnistal dropbox ASAP so I can ship it tomorrow.
How do I do it? I know there is a reset to stock.zip file but what do ai do with it?

99.7% chance the new owner will want Rockbox installed on the X3.

In fact, it's a selling point that it's already installed for them, because they won't have to fart with upgrading to Rockbox. Plus it's dual-boot, so they can boot to the stock firmware or Rockbox with the flip of a switch.

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #1,640 of 2,617
Is there anything I can do to get out of this screen? The unit wont switch off. It is just stuck on this screen with no responses to any kind of input. When I plug into my pc it is not recognised. Hope I havent bricked it :frowning2:

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #1,641 of 2,617
  Is there anything I can do to get out of this screen? The unit wont switch off. It is just stuck on this screen with no responses to any kind of input. When I plug into my pc it is not recognised. Hope I havent bricked it :frowning2:

I have managed to get past this via the reset button the device, I also have the issue though when I try to roll the firmware back the rockbox app still starts. I have put the roll back zipped file in the root of the micro sd card. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #1,642 of 2,617
In my experience the 'update.zip' method only works when you initially install the Rockbox bootloader. Once it's on there the stock firmware updating system will refuse to modify it, and will neither reinstall the bootloader code nor flash back to stock.

The only solution I found that works is to use the manual method outlined on xvortex' page. Unfortunately this means you need to setup a virtual machine running Windows XP, as Ingenic's USBBurnTool (even the latest 2014 version) still refuses to work on Windows 10.

As an aside, I found that the problems I'd reported here earlier were indeed caused by some corruption in the bootloader code. Rolling back to a previous version would work for some time, but then the boot-time panics would reappear. I eventually managed to dig out an old XP disc and spun up a VM for it. Manually flashing the rockbox bootloader again seems to have fixed everything, and I can now run the latest version without problems. This might be something to consider for those experiencing obscure crashes - if every other fix has failed, consider reflashing the bootloader, though it's annoying that you have to setup an entire VM just to perform one task.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #1,644 of 2,617
In my experience the 'update.zip' method only works when you initially install the Rockbox bootloader. Once it's on there the stock firmware updating system will refuse to modify it, and will neither reinstall the bootloader code nor flash back to stock.

The only solution I found that works is to use the manual method outlined on xvortex' page. Unfortunately this means you need to setup a virtual machine running Windows XP, as Ingenic's USBBurnTool (even the latest 2014 version) still refuses to work on Windows 10.

As an aside, I found that the problems I'd reported here earlier were indeed caused by some corruption in the bootloader code. Rolling back to a previous version would work for some time, but then the boot-time panics would reappear. I eventually managed to dig out an old XP disc and spun up a VM for it. Manually flashing the rockbox bootloader again seems to have fixed everything, and I can now run the latest version without problems. This might be something to consider for those experiencing obscure crashes - if every other fix has failed, consider reflashing the bootloader, though it's annoying that you have to setup an entire VM just to perform one task.

Good to know! Thanks for sharing.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #1,646 of 2,617
I'm getting an issue with Rockbox.  It will play perfectly for a while, today it was great for about 90 minutes and then I thought the battery had run out as it stopped suddenly.  It was still on, but the player was back in the root folder of the album I was listening to, played the track again and the same thing happened at the same point in the track.  

Booted into the "normal" mode and the player's stock software played the track perfectly.  Back to Rockbox and the same thing happened at the same place in the track.   This happened on a few tracks from a few albums, but not every track.

Came home tested it again and the track played through in Rockbox.

The only difference I can see is that the player had been off for about 10 mins before I tested it again.  Anyone else getting a similar issue?

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #1,648 of 2,617
  I think that I have 2000 mAh. I have info that only some amount of first DAPs had smaller.

Easy enough to find out - just 2 screws and you're golden:

Even if you don't have the tiny Torx screwdriver, a small flathead (like the kind from eyeglass repair kits and cheapy mini-screwdriver kits from the dollar store):

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #1,650 of 2,617
  Slaterloverspam, BEWARE when closing the unit, the volume buttons are EASY TO BREAK !!!

Luckily, I've had my board out 5-6 times and never had an issue. But others have broken off the buttons. I found replacement buttons, so we're waiting to hear back as to how easily they can be switched out. Here's the discussion if you're interested (with links to the replacement buttons): http://www.head-fi.org/t/803844/rockbox-xduoo-x3/1545

Users who are viewing this thread

Back