Rockbox Xduoo X3
Oct 25, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #834 of 2,617
Apologies for my stupidity, but when i try to Rockbox it says "No Firmware file"?

Done, i did the classic name update.zip (.zip) mistake

For those not experts just name it update (i think im right in saying the system will already know its a zip?

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #835 of 2,617
  To anybody considering buying the XDuoo X3, or for anybody who already owns one and is not sure whether installing an alternate OS on the device is worth the effort: Rockbox turns this already cool player into an amazing piece of gear.  Shout out to Roman who did the Rockbox port for this device...you did an awesome job.  We should all be hitting the donate button on his website!!!  http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/ Seriously, thanks, dude.

I can't explain how happy I am to have Rockbox running on my X3.  I was starting to think that Rockbox was going the way of the dinosaur (seriously, aren't there enough Clip users still around to justify at least one update since 2013?)  If you check out the original Rockbox site, you'll see a bunch of near-extinct supported devices.  I have been running Rockbox for several years on an iPod Video 5.5 Gen (yes, the one with the Wolfson DAC...which is hugely overrated, in my opinion).  It was an upgrade from my ancient Rio Karma, but never really sounded very good -- it couldn't come close to any decent CD player in SQ, but I used it because Rockbox gave it support for every music file format in a slick interface.

Now, thanks to Roman, I have a new, cutting-edge device with killer SQ that runs Rockbox like a champ.  This thing sounds amazing, y'all.  I am surprised that the X3 has only made a small splash on Head-Fi thus far.  For the budget-minded audiophile, it's the cat's meow.  It sounds better than any CD player I have tested it against so far...clean, neutral, fast, and super-detailed.  My iPod sounds downright slow and muddy in comparison.  The X3's only real fault is that pesky timestretching glitch in the stock OS, and Rockbox eliminates it entirely.  Rockbox also gives me awesome EQ, which I've just begun exploring.  And to me, it is just a very intuitive and attractive interface.

I guess I'm a fanboy.  Go X3.  Go Rockbox.  Yeah.

I just got me a brand new XDUOO® X3 about a week ago, after my faithful old iRiver H340 started showing signs it may be on its last legs. I cannot speak highly enough about the XDUOO® X3 and am so thrilled that I got it, because I was immensely confused by the wide array of choices available to anyone currently in the market for a new digital mp3 player.

Thank Heavens for Roman's Rockbox port for the X3 - I absolutely cannot live without EQ (gotta have my deep, low-end Bass!!!). It was the biggest factor for me deciding to buy a XDUOO® X3, as soon as I learned that you could Rock this Box
wink_face.gif
, I jumped all over it! 
Yaaay X3!
L3000.gif

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #836 of 2,617
Hi guys

I'm having trouble installing Rockbox on the X3.I follow the instructions in http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/manual.htm but every time I click 'upgrade' I get the message 'no firmware file'.

My SD card is correctly formatted. And I'm pretty sure I'm following all the steps accurately.

Can anyone help?

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #837 of 2,617
Have you tried just naming the "rockbox full" file to "update" without the extension ".zip" ?
If you rename it "update.zip" , the OS also add another ".zip" becuase it recognizes it as a zip file. So you end with the systen seeing "update.zip.zip".
That is invisible to you, but that's what the system reads.

Thank you for solving a problem that has consumed half of my Saturday afternoon!

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #840 of 2,617
Sorry if I bring up a question that may have been asked before, just could not read through 56 pages. Only read page 1,2, and 56 of this Thread.

I just bought an XDUOO X3 after my rockboxed Sansa Clip died. 

It looks like in the first 2 pages there were a lot of issues with Rockbox on XDUOO X3 

Just wanted to see if all the issues have been dealt with and if XDUOO X3 runs 'perfect' with Rockbox.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back