Rockbox Xduoo X3
Apr 5, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #16 of 2,617
I wonder if this above comment is relevant.  I didn't see anyone with this issue.  I Rockboxed my x3 last night.  Got onto the bus today and fired up my device.  Played a song and OMG that is so loud.  Volume was at max.  Hard keys woudn't lower it.  I had to lower it manually via the software settings.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #17 of 2,617
  I wonder if this above comment is relevant.  I didn't see anyone with this issue.  I Rockboxed my x3 last night.  Got onto the bus today and fired up my device.  Played a song and OMG that is so loud.  Volume was at max.  Hard keys woudn't lower it.  I had to lower it manually via the software settings.

I have pointed this out earlier as an issue that could do with resolving as it doesn't occur on any of my Rock Boxed Sansa devices; the volume can only be controlled whilst you are in the 'Whilst Playing Screen' ... on my unit and possibly yours by the sounds of things at least !

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #18 of 2,617
Here is a dumb question that I was just thinking about. I know that the rockbox software has to be installed using a card that is formatted to Fat 16 or Fat 32. But can the card in the second slot of the X3 be formatted in Exfat and be read by rockbox?

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #19 of 2,617
Quick note for anyone who intends to Rockbox their X3:

IT IS NOT RISK-FREE. I REPEAT, IT IS NOT RISK-FREE. @invisio and I both bricked our X3s flashing RB through the manual method (I suspect that it's related to the flashing process terminating itself for unknown reasons and therefore corrupted the system firmware). Although X3 will kindly reflash firmware for you AFAIK, do exercise care in flashing the firmware. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #21 of 2,617
Just wondering, did your X3 actually brick? When the rockbox port first came out, the only way to install it was the manual method. My X3 got a black screen during the update and wouldn't turn on. However, simply using the reset button fixed it.

The manual method is a lot more complicated than just using the xDuoo update option. Use the first method XVortex listed on his website.

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #22 of 2,617
I'm asking this in the most non-rude possible. But how did you brick this thing? I simply drag and dropped the .Rockbox folder on the root of both SD cards and that was it. It loaded up just fine. (after the firmware upgrade of course).

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #23 of 2,617
double posted

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #24 of 2,617

I'm asking this in the most non-rude possible. But how did you brick this thing? I simply drag and dropped the .Rockbox folder on the root of both SD cards and that was it. It loaded up just fine. (after the firmware upgrade of course).

It was back in the days when you had to use a Win7 computer and manually flash the firmware with a tool. I was using an emulator on my Mac; the tool quit itself in the middle of flashing and so RB wasn't flashed completely, and the whole system firmware ended up corrupted and therefore the X3 wouldn't boot. @invisio might have a different story. With the new method I believe it's near impossible to brick it.

Just wondering, did your X3 actually brick? When the rockbox port first came out, the only way to install it was the manual method. My X3 got a black screen during the update and wouldn't turn on. However, simply using the reset button fixed it.

The manual method is a lot more complicated than just using the xDuoo update option. Use the first method XVortex listed on his website.

I flashed RB very early on, and only the manual method was available at that time. The reset button did not do anything. I agree with you that people should stick to the update option - it's a lot less risk. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #25 of 2,617

It was back in the days when you had to use a Win7 computer and manually flash the firmware with a tool. I was using an emulator on my Mac; the tool quit itself in the middle of flashing and so RB wasn't flashed completely, and the whole system firmware ended up corrupted and therefore the X3 wouldn't boot. @invisio might have a different story. With the new method I believe it's near impossible to brick it.

I flashed RB very early on, and only the manual method was available at that time. The reset button did not do anything. I agree with you that people should stick to the update option - it's a lot less risk. 

Dang man, I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe you can get a new one? This is probably the best DAP on the market now with it getting rockbox. (Under $150 USD).

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #27 of 2,617
Sorry if I ask this.
In the manual on Vortex site there is 2 mthods to install rockbox.
The first is named "first time installation" or "Initial setup" and the pc is only used to transfer files on microSD: installation (bootloader) is done on the X3 itself.
The second one is named "first time manual installation" or "Manual install": here the installation process is done from the PC (if I'm not worng).
So the question is: the safest way to install rockbox is the first one, is right?

Other questions.
The first method can be used with all version of stock firmware?
After installation of the rockbox bootloader is possibile to update the stock firmware? The bootloader is still there or it must be re-installed?

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #28 of 2,617
  Sorry if I ask this.
In the manual on Vortex site there is 2 mthods to install rockbox.
So the question is: the safest way to install rockbox is the first one, is right?

Other questions.
The first method can be used with all version of stock firmware?
After installation of the rockbox bootloader is possibile to update the stock firmware? The bootloader is still there or it must be re-installed?

The easiest and safest method is this:

For first time installation follow this steps:
1) Download bootloader (update-to-rockbox-xxx.zip) and rockbox system’s archives (rockbox-full-xxx.zip);
2) Rename update-to-rockbox-xxx.zip to update.zip and write to the root of the micro SD-card without unpacking.
3) Unpack rockbox-full-xxx.zip to the root of the micro SD-card. System folder .rockbox must be placed at the root of this memory card. Card must be formatted to FAT16 or FAT32. Filesystems ExFAT, NTFS, EXT3/4 does not supported!
4) Install this SD- card to the X3 slot number 1;
5) Be sured that your X3 is totally charged. Normally update your player. To do this, in the menu "Setting" select "Upgrade";
6) The process of flashing must to begin. After successful installation Rockbox will start automatically

Rockboxing is independent of which version of the factory firmware you have installed.

Since this is a dual boot set up, you can simply use the slide lock switch to revert to xDuoo O/I and update the factory firmware. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #29 of 2,617
I have Rockboxed with 770857a-160405 version and everything is working perfectly, except for all my OGG files. These files played well with Rockbox on Iriver h140 and with VLC. Everyone else got this problem? @XVortex thanks for your work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back