Rockbox Xduoo X3
Apr 24, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #166 of 2,617
  Because the line-out @ not 100% volume sometimes provides a better sound quality.

I'll second that.

I found the Line Out to be very high level and was pushing the input of my hi-fi amp over it's limit a little, making the sound a bit less than perfect. This was using files with maxed out loudness. It's not a problem with others.

Here's the track I use for testing the headroom limits of various bits of kit. It's very challenging for anything less than bang-on power delivery and healthy working ranges in op amps etc.

https://altar.bandcamp.com/track/human-navigations-feat-euerpi-24-48khz-bonus-track

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #167 of 2,617

o.0 Never knew that!
What volume do you recommend we use for line out? 70% 

Just got my new X3 up and running yesterday.  Copying my track library over to it now.  I'm used to the Fiio X1 where you have to use line out with an amp.  Curious now to see how the X3 performs using LO direct with headphones.  Going to make sure the volume is turned way down though.  Also, going to search for some good resources on getting the full potential out of Rockbox.

I love curiosity, and the sheer delight it is to try something different.

A line output is not designed to deliver much curent. A high demand for current, from such an output, will quickly distort the signal.

The voltage peaks at a line output are maxed out for the available circuit headroom. There are industry standards for that. It's usually around 1volt ( peak to peak ) in consumer devices. That's "VERY LOUD", in relation to an equivalent voltage measurement in a heaphone powering output.

The distortion you'll hear in headphones when accidentally plugged into a line out is mainly due to a lack of available current. It just 'sounds' like the phones are getting far too much power, they're actually not getting enough, but because the form of the power is  high volt/low current,  the effect is that the recieving device ( headphone ) is impacted by a highly dynamic shock and almost instant tail-off. Not unlike a lightening strike during a thunderstorm.

Both the Line-Out heaphones and the lightening bolts have a similar power  creation/dissipation characteristic.

I sometimes find people better understand output impedance if they think of it as a sink cold water tap. The voltage is the pressure at the tap and the current is the amount of water flowing through it.

Imagine the tap suddenly exploding due to a pressure shock. It will explode almost identically to many other kinetic explosions, and the decay time almost as quickly too.

That's the extemis of the dynamic involved. a power dynamic.

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #168 of 2,617

Because the line-out @ not 100% volume sometimes provides a better sound quality.

I'll second that.

I found the Line Out to be very high level and was pushing the input of my hi-fi amp over it's limit a little, making the sound a bit less than perfect. This was using files with maxed out loudness. It's not a problem with others.

Here's the track I use for testing the headroom limits of various bits of kit. It's very challenging for anything less than bang-on power delivery and healthy working ranges in op amps etc.

https://altar.bandcamp.com/track/human-navigations-feat-euerpi-24-48khz-bonus-track

what level did you find worked best?

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #172 of 2,617
  wait, so now the line out volume increases/decreases linearly with the headphone out volume?

There is no any "MAGIC" with Line-Out.
LO it is just output before final power (headphone) amplifier.
sound path:
CPU ---> DAC ---> LPF  ---> PREAMP ---> HEADAMP ---> Phone_OUT
                                                       \--> Line_OUT.
Volume adjusts in DAC.

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #173 of 2,617

wait, so now the line out volume increases/decreases linearly with the headphone out volume?

There is no any "MAGIC" with Line-Out.
LO it is just output before final power (headphone) amplifier.
sound path:
CPU ---> DAC ---> LPF  ---> PREAMP ---> HEADAMP ---> Phone_OUT
                                                       \--> Line_OUT.
Volume adjusts in DAC.

This was needed for the convo, thank you sir

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #177 of 2,617

So, generally speaking, if I can help it, it is BETTER to cut LO volume below 100% correct?

In the case of the Xduoo X3, yes.

What level do you find best?

It's more about what the device the signal is going into can handle.

I found that the line out of the X3 ( when using the factory firmware ) is unusually high in voltage. I was using the 6db boost so that may have been the reason, or perhaps not.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the signal quality at full power, but it might be a bit high for the input stages of other devices, causing a degradation of eventual quality to the ear.

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #178 of 2,617
  In the case of the Xduoo X3, yes.

Thanks for the info mate!
   It's more about what the device the signal is going into can handle.

I found that the line out of the X3 ( when using the factory firmware ) is unusually high in voltage. I was using the 6db boost so that may have been the reason, or perhaps not.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the signal quality at full power, but it might be a bit high for the input stages of other devices, causing a degradation of eventual quality to the ear.

That may be a very good point. It may also be that why, using stock fw LO, I would experience clipping with some amplifiers. Is what you have mentioned the cause?

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #180 of 2,617
  XVortex is not a developer of Rockbox. He has just ported RB on our device (thanx a lot!). RB was developed by a huge community of experts from different countries. All the questiones should be addressed to them:)

Huge community?
I'm not sure about that...
The rockbox firmware seems to be an EOL project.
The last version of RB is 3 years old and not to much seems to happen: I don't see many official new ports of RB on new devices, no development on new feature, non new ideas (where is RB for Android?).
XVortex has released its code and made it known to the community of developers of Rockbox, but it seems that no one helped him, and his X3 porting has is still not an official porting.
I don't know if there is much work "in the background" (I really hope so!), but several times when I visit the RB page I wonder if the project is still alive or not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back