Rockbox worth it
Aug 18, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you turned the theme on inside Rockbox? It should be in the options menu; sorry I can't be more specific, again I don't have Rockbox on my iPod anymore and I don't remember the exact menu tree. Perhaps someone else can be of more help.
smile.gif

Solved the problem. Turns out I simply needed to update my Rockbox version to the latest.

Thanks again!

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse what I'm about to say but THAT IS FRIGGIN' NICE!!!! Progress, info, time, settings - NICE!!!

Yes, when you let a community play with open source software, nice things happen!.

Aug 19, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #21 of 38
As fjf said, getting away from itunes and being able to transfer music directly is reason alone to go with rockbox.

Also codec support, folder browsing, customization, playlists...
Just a few of the reasons why rockbox is totally worth it.

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #22 of 38
Ive switched my ipod well not switched but installed the rockbox I love the sound seeing that i find that my ipod deafault firmware eq takes aways from my atrios so the customizable eq makes it amazing but im have problems with the themes i love my original simple ipod theme but thats okay but when i load themes from the site most of them there WPS ( while playing screen) usally gives me this ugly looking black and white theme

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanjaygolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the sound quality of a rockboxed iPod compare to that of a Cowon D2?

I have the D2 and a RB'd 4G iPod (whose chipset is the same as the 5.5G, I believe). After a battery of very subjective tests with several headphones, I feel that the D2 comes out on top. My RB'd Gigabeat sounds better that the 4G, also. It's not bad, however - much better than my old Sansa E200, for example.

And to add to the "should I do it?" question - again, it all depends on your needs. If your collection is already filled with AAC's and some are DRM'd, it's not worth it to transcode and suffer quality loss. But for the MP3 crowd, and especially those with Vorbis / FLAC files, it's a no brainer. My 4G is VERY stable - I think my D2 firmware has crashed more times that Rockbox.

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #26 of 38
Try Rockbox as there is nothing to loose in doing so.
I love it!
Installed it with the Iphonelike theme as it looks really good, has all the information I need in just the right place and it's colorful!

Only one point I find annoying is that I cant get video to work in rockbox, though this is probably down to me not understanding how to convert video to work with it! (Any Tips?)

Rockbox ROCKS!!!
L3000.gif

Aug 20, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny that, my D2 has never crashed on me. Was yours the latest firmware?

3.57 - I've had it freeze on occasion, and the database getting corrupted also occurs on occasion (I have a 16GB SDHC card). In Cowon's defense, it's probably more my fault than theirs - using other's themes on top of their firmware. But I really can't stand the default theme, so I've learned to deal with it. It's actually been pretty stable for the last few weeks, since I upgraded the theme.

The first time the database got corrupted was when I was visiting co-workers out of state, and I was showing it off. Didn't make a very good impression for Cowon, I'm afarid!

Aug 20, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by edart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only one point I find annoying is that I cant get video to work in rockbox, though this is probably down to me not understanding how to convert video to work with it! (Any Tips?)

I use WinFF Free Video Converter. It's cross-platform and has presets for Rockbox. You also need to know what your DAP's hardware limits are, as far as fps. The Rockbox site has a good deal of information here. (Rockbox site is down right now, but this link should be good when it's back up).

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by wap32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As fjf said, getting away from itunes and being able to transfer music directly is reason alone to go with rockbox.

Unless you're someone who happens to like iTunes, and there are quite a lot of them/us.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back