Rockbox worth it
Aug 16, 2008 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Goodfella

New Head-Fier
confused_face(1).gif

I have an 30gb 5.5 ipod but i dont have any music encoded with flac so is it worth the installtion of rockbox?

Is the sound better using rockbox ? I find the eq custom with customizable setting alot better than ipod presets... but is it still worth it?

why does rockbox lag and sometimes freezes up ?

preety much for me i like the ipod simplistic theme but is that asking too much from rockbox but if someone can tell me why most of the themes dont work & why does it lag
popcorn.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 38
RockBox lowers the volume slightly BUT the EQ settings alone are MORE than worth it. So I guess the answer would be HELL YES!!!

Aug 17, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 38
why are the eq settings worth it? isn't is like other players with normal equalizers?

Aug 17, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 38
^i don't think they distort as much. like ipod stock eq distorts for me, but rockbox is nice...

Aug 17, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodfella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face(1).gif

I have an 30gb 5.5 ipod but i dont have any music encoded with flac so is it worth the installtion of rockbox?

Is the sound better using rockbox ? I find the eq custom with customizable setting alot better than ipod presets... but is it still worth it?

why does rockbox lag and sometimes freezes up ?

preety much for me i like the ipod simplistic theme but is that asking too much from rockbox but if someone can tell me why most of the themes dont work & why does it lag
popcorn.gif

Rockbox isn't really designed to be easy to use or intuitive; and it's an in-development third-party project with no officially stable release whatsoever so glitches are to be expected. There aren't really any other alternatives for iPod if you want parametric EQ, FLAC/OGG support, replaygain etc. (along with other really cool features); whether or not it's worth putting up with a fussy database system, tagging issues, reduced battery life, lag, glitches etc. (some of the things I found) is entirely up to you. I tried using Rockbox on my iPod for a bit to play my FLAC library but I very much preferred the stock UI.

Regarding sound, Rockbox does not directly improve SQ in any way.

Aug 17, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 38
I don't think its worth it.
Unless you, for some reason, need to stick with an audio codec not supported by the Apple firmware.

Aug 17, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 38
-You avoid itunes
-You drag-and-drop folders to the hard drive
-You can play them from the folders, NO TAGGING needed

Just because of that it is worth it to me!.

In addition, you have many codecs available, have a full customizable equalizer, crossfeed (and some other sound features)...

And MANY themes available (i.e. for the ipod 5G: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/pub/Mai...idgets_wps.png). I'll show you the one I'm using now:
arboxWidgets_wps.png

Aug 17, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
arboxWidgets_wps.png

Excuse what I'm about to say but THAT IS FRIGGIN' NICE!!!! Progress, info, time, settings - NICE!!!

Aug 17, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-You avoid itunes
-You drag-and-drop folders to the hard drive
-You can play them from the folders, NO TAGGING needed

Just because of that it is worth it to me!.

In addition, you have many codecs available, have a full customizable equalizer, crossfeed (and some other sound features)...

And MANY themes available (i.e. for the ipod 5G: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/pub/Mai...idgets_wps.png). I'll show you the one I'm using now:
arboxWidgets_wps.png

I want it!!! Where can I download it from?

Aug 17, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Rockbox site has a themes gallery, you can get that one here.
smile.gif

Also check out this one, which is my favorite and the one I used.

Thanks heaps!

On to the installation issue now; I have downloaded and extracted the contents to their respective folders in my iPod .Rockbox folder (theme, WPS, etc) but I cannot get the WPS screen to show. What am I doing wrong here?

Cheers!

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #12 of 38
For me, Rockbox would be worth it for all of the playlisting features, m3u support, nice databasing (and gapless playback although that doesn't apply to iPods I guess) etc. The EQ and all is nice (a lot more comprehensive than most on stock firmwares) although I don't use it.

I've never used it on an iPod but it ran pretty well on my old X5 and I think the joystick on that helped with Rockbox's layout whereas a wheel might be a bit awkward if not implemented well.

Aug 17, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 38
Rockbox allows your ipod, or whatever device supported, to become a large portable hard drive. This is a huge feature, I can grab things off of computers anywhere, or take things off of this and onto them.

And I don't have to muck around with using itunes at all - this is the biggest relief. No iTunes, no converting your stuff, no havinga library of converted music that is so restricted...

The interface is simple - I've gone with the default one and don't really have much a need to change it now.. may bother with making it cute later on

I would never go back to apple software. i swear by rockbox

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks heaps!

On to the installation issue now; I have downloaded and extracted the contents to their respective folders in my iPod .Rockbox folder (theme, WPS, etc) but I cannot get the WPS screen to show. What am I doing wrong here?

Cheers!

Have you turned the theme on inside Rockbox? It should be in the options menu; sorry I can't be more specific, again I don't have Rockbox on my iPod anymore and I don't remember the exact menu tree. Perhaps someone else can be of more help.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back