rockbox on ipod is here
Jan 31, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #32 of 124
If this had been released a week and a half ago, I would currently be the proud owner of an iPod Photo. I just hope that someone starts hammering out Rockbox firmware for the X5.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #33 of 124
ok, a day after installing rockbox on my photo iPod, it is totally useable (with a few glitches) but hell, ipod ease of navigation, drag and drop, file tree browsing and gapless are more than functional. this should get interesting, i think im gonna keep my photo now! so glad this happened. cant wait for iy to be more tweeked.
current issues with rockbox on ipod photo.
battery meter not indicating in the slightest how much battery there is
occasionaly, tracks will skip, usually as i walk (buffer issue?)
no volume control (not an issue for me, lineout works with no issues)
disk noise on startup, you can hear the ipods internals working
occasional loss of control of the scroll wheel
battery life? been going for 3 hours now, will report back.
most of the sound options not working, ok for me, i dont wanna change anything just yet.

but yeah, looks promising!
hooray!

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #34 of 124
Anyone knows if there will be rockbox for 3rd generation ipods?
confused.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #35 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yotam
Anyone knows if there will be rockbox for 3rd generation ipods?
confused.gif

Yes, i'm in the same boat as you. slimx over at rockbox is working on the lcd drivers and when he's done with that and other little things, we will have it.

I can't wait!

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #36 of 124
This could end up as a very nice project indeed. Rockbox has transformed iriver players, so, with the superb hardware of the ipod, the end result could be breathtaking (I'm sure many people will want to test, and will have the hardware to do so
tongue.gif
)

IIRC, Rockbox for the karma is near to impossible. First of all, the standard firmware update method is encrypted. The second problem, is something to do with the flash memory chip, and it being too hard to get too. I mean, I'm sure if portalplayer and/or rio emplyees worked on it it would be possible, but it's really not worth getting your hopes up.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #38 of 124
Sweet. That means I can load wma, and ogg into ipod. Also finally some nice EQ. Yah, iPod kicks ass.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #39 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet
ok, a day after installing rockbox on my photo iPod, it is totally useable (with a few glitches) but hell, ipod ease of navigation, drag and drop, file tree browsing and gapless are more than functional. this should get interesting, i think im gonna keep my photo now! so glad this happened. cant wait for iy to be more tweeked.
current issues with rockbox on ipod photo.
battery meter not indicating in the slightest how much battery there is
occasionaly, tracks will skip, usually as i walk (buffer issue?)
no volume control (not an issue for me, lineout works with no issues)
disk noise on startup, you can hear the ipods internals working
occasional loss of control of the scroll wheel
battery life? been going for 3 hours now, will report back.
most of the sound options not working, ok for me, i dont wanna change anything just yet.

but yeah, looks promising!
hooray!

through what I could get from my attempt at using rockbox on my ipod photo, you can change the buffer size in one of the settings menus, that might help your skipping problem(the default is actually only like 5 seconds of antiskip so you'll have to crank that up).

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #40 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigmatic
through what I could get from my attempt at using rockbox on my ipod photo, you can change the buffer size in one of the settings menus, that might help your skipping problem(the default is actually only like 5 seconds of antiskip so you'll have to crank that up).

Holy ****! You can set the buffer size with Rockbox! Now I want an iPod!!!
eek.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #42 of 124
update,
battery life currently over 6 hours (with use) on my 60gb photo. still going too!
skipping not really helped by increasing buffer size, and higher bitrate songs tend to get stuck at the beginning of the track (have to ffw to 5 secs in to get it to work)

btw, i am using mp3's lame 192/320 and some vbr's
cant wait to have all the bugs worked out! revived my ipod from nearly offing to ebay, now it looks like the gmini is going to get dumped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back