Rockbox: My ***186*** custom EQ presets you can download and easily use...
Mar 26, 2015 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

DiscoProJoe

100+ Head-Fier
Mar 27, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #2 of 21
I've just added an additional category and 7 EQ presets to this database, which now brings the total to 15 categories and 193 presets.  You can click the updated big link in the main post above to download and install it.

The new category I've added is called "Optimized Lite," which further reduces the upper midbass and lower midrange, and keeps 64 Hz at a lower level as well while only boosting the 32 Hz band with each increment until it's maxed out. In this category, song recordings with way too much midbass and lower midrange can sound good, such as Janet Jackson's "Let's Wait Awhile" and One Republic's "Counting Stars." More "magic" is applied here to do the trick....

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 21
  Great work and thanks. I will try them on my Sansa Fuze+ ..

Awesome! Let us know how well the presets work on your Sansa player. On a Rockboxed iPod Classic, the EQ gain, attenuation, and precut limit is 24 dB. Hopefully it's the same on a Rockboxed Sansa player.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #5 of 21
I figured out an "EQ fix" for the bass boost switch on the Cayin C5 portable amp, and made it sound better than the one on the E12A! The C5's bass boost switch colors the upper midbass / lower midrange too much, so I calibrated and implemented this "EQ fix" by creating a second set of 193 EQ presets, and modified each preset with the following adjustment:

125 Hz:  -1.5 dB
250 Hz:  -1.5 dB
500 Hz:  -0.3 dB

(I took the existing values of these three frequency bands in my original 193 EQ presets, and adjusted each one by those extents. For example, if 125 Hz was originally set to +1.0 dB in that particular preset, then it was changed to -0.5 dB, etc., etc.)

Anyway, if you have a Rockboxed music player, if you use the Cayin C5, and if you feel like the bass boost switch on it colors the sound too much, then you're in for a real treat! I've uploaded this second set of 193 EQ presets to Dropbox that you can download.

Just click the following link:  https://www.dropbox.com/l/vm9Wgp9ArsAepPdOgxqZgr

It should say, "DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Pr…yin C5.zip" (The filename has been truncated, which was meant to read, "DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets for Cayin C5.")

Just download it to your PC desktop, pull out the folder inside of it that says, "EQ presets Cayin C5," and drag and drop it onto the root directory of your Rockboxed music player.

I'd also strongly recommend downloading the original set of 193 presets if you haven't already (by following the big link in the first post on this topic thread), and renaming that folder "EQ presets 1." It's important to also have the original set, because you'll need the original preset named "0 Flat 0" to turn off your EQ and set everything to flat.

(In contrast, the "0 Flat 0" in this second set doesn't do that, since it applies those "EQ fix" adjustments to the "0 Flat 0," instead.)

Now...you can make your C5 amp sound even better than the E12A by using this second set of presets, which I hope will make you smile.  Woohoo! 
atsmile.gif

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 21
Apr 11, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 21
  can i use those presets with jriver windows media player

I really don't know. You could try dragging and dropping some of these configuration (.cfg) files into the Windows Media Player folder that contains other .cfg files and see what happens.

Whether Rockbox uses the same .cfg file coding format for the EQ as Windows Media Player uses is anyone's guess. You can open these .cfg files with Notepad and compare the formats.

(You also can use Notepad to modify these presets and create your own, which is exactly what I've done here with all of mine. Just be sure and save them as .cfg files, and not as .txt.)

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #9 of 21
  I just installed Rockbox firmware on my 80GB iPod Classic (6th Generation) late last week, and didn't go out of my apartment for the next 4 days! I was so mesmerized and obsessed with getting the exact sound I wanted to suit most of the songs in my collection...that I couldn't stop this personal project until it was finished.

And when it was all said and done, I had a well-organized set of 186 personalized EQ presets that I could quickly and easily change on the fly -- without distortion -- while playing my tunes -- without iTunes!

***Note: I have since added an additional 7 EQ presets to this database, which now brings the total to 193.***

Now,...I just can't stop enjoying my music. In fact, this has made a bigger difference in sound quality for me than two months ago when I replaced my old pair of fake Beats Pro headphones with a genuine pair of V-Moda M-100s.

And here's the really good news: if you have Rockbox on your music player (or if you're going to install it), then *you* also can use these custom EQ presets as well. They work splendidly well on an iPod Classic, and hopefully should work on most other Rockboxed players, too. Just follow these steps:

1. Click this link:  https://www.dropbox.com/l/SGd2RZoxQBmtIiUZJ6Fnlp

(The page should say "DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets.zip")

2. Click the blue "Download" button.

3. If any sign-in box pops up, just click "No thanks, continue to download."

4. Save the file to your desktop.

5. Open the .zip file, and drag and drop the "EQ presets" folder onto your desktop.

6. Connect your Rockboxed music player to your computer.

7. Drag and drop the "EQ presets" folder onto the root directory of your music player.

8. Disconnect your music player from the computer, and reboot the music player.

9. On the main menu of Rockbox on your music player, go to "Files."

10. The "EQ presets" folder should be there. You can now open it, and can choose from 15 categories and 193 presets!

Some notes about the presets:

-- After choosing a preset and hitting the "select" button on your iPod, it may take a few seconds for the sound to change.

-- After choosing a preset, you can press the "play" button on your iPod to instantly return to the "Now Playing" screen to adjust the volume, change the track, etc.

-- While in the "Now Playing" screen, you can press the "select" button on the iPod to return to the "EQ preset" folder you were in to try a different preset, etc.

-- In the main preset list, the "0 Flat" category appears at the top of the list. (I put a numeral 0 in front of it so it would show up at the top.) The first preset in that category is "0 Flat 0." This preset will turn off your EQ and set everything to flat.

-- The categories "Acoustic," "Bass Booster," "Bass Reducer," "Electronic," "Jazz," "Rock," "Small Speakers," "Treble Booster," and "Treble Reducer" are all based upon the iPod Classic's original EQ values -- but with an added precut that doesn't distort the sound. Many thanks to Hayden Pearce for this!

-- All other categories are based upon my own tweaking and tuning.

-- The first preset in each category has a numeral 0 behind it. This is the "original" preset without any bass increments or other tweaks added.

-- In all categories except "Bass Reducer," "Bass Super Reducer," "Optimized," and "Optimized Lite," all the presets after the original have "Bass" and "Sub-Bass" increments.

-- Each "Bass" increment boosts the 32 Hz and 64 Hz bands by 3 dB (per step) from the original or previous step. The list ends when one or both of those bands are maxed out at 24 dB. These "Bass" increments give the sound a hard-hitting thump with a bit of a "dry" feeling to the bass.

-- In the "Sub-Bass" increments, the first step boosts the 32 Hz band by 6 dB -- and the 64 Hz band by 1.2 dB -- from the original. Each step thereafter boosts 32 Hz by an additional 3 dB, and 64 Hz by an additional 0.6 dB -- until the 32 Hz band is maxed out at 24 dB. These "Sub-Bass" increments give the sound a deep throb with a "smooth" feeling to the bass.

-- Generally, a "Bass" increment will be as strong as the "Sub-Bass" one that's 3 steps above it. In other words, "Acoustic 3 Bass" will have about the same strength as "Acoustic 6 Sub-Bass."

-- Since most presets use an EQ precut (to prevent distortion), the volume level will get quieter with each bass increment, so you'll need to turn up the volume to make up the difference.

-- It's a good idea to temporarily turn down the volume while changing presets -- especially when moving from a higher bass increment to a lower one -- as the EQ precut will be applied less, and the resulting louder volume will come blaring in.

-- The "Optimized" category is a special one. This one reduces the upper midbass and lower midrange, and is especially useful on many songs and albums with too much sound in this range -- such as Mariah Carey's Music Box album. This category "optimizes" the sound for the V-Moda M-100 headphones, which have a weakness for coloring the upper midbass and lower midrange too much on some music. Basically, this "Optimized" category uses the "Bass Reducer" signature for all frequency bands from 125 Hz and up -- while boosting the 32 Hz band by a large amount and the 64 Hz by a much smaller amount. Each increment adds sub-bass until the 32 Hz band is maxed out at 24 dB. To sum it up, this "Optimized" category puts its magic hands on your pair of V-Moda headphones and chants, "V-Moda weakness,...BE GONE!" It works like magic and sounds beautiful.

-- The "Optimized Lite" category further reduces the upper midbass and lower midrange, and keeps 64 Hz at a lower level as well while only boosting the 32 Hz band with each increment until it's maxed out. In this category, song recordings with way too much midbass and lower midrange can sound good, such as Janet Jackson's "Let's Wait Awhile" and One Republic's "Counting Stars." More magic is applied here to do the trick.

-- Most of these 193 presets were tweaked and tuned while using my FiiO E12A portable amp with the bass boost switch turned on.  This switch boosts the 10 - 40 Hz range by 6 dB while boosting the upper midbass only a little. (You can see a response curve of this bass-boost switch by clicking here.)

-- While you certainly can enjoy many of these EQ presets without an external amp, it is strongly recommended that you get a portable headphone amp that is non-DAC and has a good bass-boost switch, such as the E12A or Cayin C5. (A Rockboxed music player might not work well -- if at all -- with an external DAC/amp.) Without an amp, and without an external bass boost switch, you'll easily run out of volume gain on the higher bass increments.

Anyway, that's it for now. I truly hope you can thoroughly enjoy these amazing, awesome EQ presets to happily brighten your days from now on. Wow,...what a difference! 
beyersmile.png

When are you going to make it so that you can download the Rockbox firmware onto the Sony E 384?

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 21
May 11, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 21
i am so impressed by ur presets that i was wondering if u can share ur settings of the bands so we can replicate those settings on non rockbox devices

please consider this a favor to us who have no rockbox

May 12, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #13 of 21
  @DiscoProJoe The Download button is greyed out on the dropbox page for me. There is no "No Thanks" option. Is it possible to post this on MediaFire or somewhere that is accessible to us?

The Download button looks like it's grayed out, but it actually isn't. Just click on it with your mouse pointer and it should work. I just now tried both Zip files in both my web browsers (IE and Firefox) without being signed in to Dropbox, and they downloaded just fine without any problems.

i am so impressed by ur presets that i was wondering if u can share ur settings of the bands so we can replicate those settings on non rockbox devices

please consider this a favor to us who have no rockbox

Glad to hear you like 'em! 
wink_face.gif

As for your request, well,...................this would mean I'd have to manually copy & paste the filenames and text content of each of the 386 (193 + 193) .cfg files, along with the foldernames of each of the 30 (15 + 15) categories...onto a topic post here. Then, each user would have to manually create 2 sets of 193 .cfg files (and 2 sets of 15 folders) on his/her own computer, and then copy & paste the text from the topic post into each one.

Here's an idea: if someone is interested, he/she can download these Zip files, can open the .cfg files to view the text, and can try replicating these settings on their own non-Rockbox devices.

(Within the .cfg files on the far right side of each line of text, you'll see a numeric value. If it says "30," for example, it means "+3.0 dB." If it says "-5," it means "-0.5 dB.")

Hope this helps!

May 12, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #14 of 21

The Download button looks like it's grayed out, but it actually isn't. Just click on it with your mouse pointer and it should work. I just now tried both Zip files in both my web browsers (IE and Firefox) without being signed in to Dropbox, and they downloaded just fine without any problems.

Glad to hear you like 'em! 
wink_face.gif

As for your request, well,...................this would mean I'd have to manually copy & paste the filenames and text content of each of the 386 (193 + 193) .cfg files, along with the foldernames of each of the 30 (15 + 15) categories...onto a topic post here. Then, each user would have to manually create 2 sets of 193 .cfg files (and 2 sets of 15 folders) on his/her own computer, and then copy & paste the text from the topic post into each one.

Here's an idea: if someone is interested, he/she can download these Zip files, can open the .cfg files to view the text, and can try replicating these settings on their own non-Rockbox devices.

(Within the .cfg files on the far right side of each line of text, you'll see a numeric value. If it says "30," for example, it means "+3.0 dB." If it says "-5," it means "-0.5 dB.")

Hope this helps!

can u help with one example which is the acoustic : acoustic 1

eq enabled: on
eq precut: 80
eq low shelf filter: 32, 7, 80
eq peak filter 1: 64, 10, 75
eq peak filter 2: 125, 10, 40
eq peak filter 3: 250, 10, 5
eq peak filter 4: 500, 10, 20
eq peak filter 5: 1000, 10, 15
eq peak filter 6: 2000, 10, 35
eq peak filter 7: 4000, 10, 40
eq peak filter 8: 8000, 10, 35
eq high shelf filter: 16000, 7, 20

what are those settings so I can then follow that example

May 12, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #15 of 21

can u help with one example which is the acoustic : acoustic 1

eq enabled: on
eq precut: 80
eq low shelf filter: 32, 7, 80
eq peak filter 1: 64, 10, 75
eq peak filter 2: 125, 10, 40
eq peak filter 3: 250, 10, 5
eq peak filter 4: 500, 10, 20
eq peak filter 5: 1000, 10, 15
eq peak filter 6: 2000, 10, 35
eq peak filter 7: 4000, 10, 40
eq peak filter 8: 8000, 10, 35
eq high shelf filter: 16000, 7, 20

what are those settings so I can then follow that example

Sure thing. This one is "Acoustic 1 Bass" in the original set of presets.

It has a precut of 8.0 dB. (This means it attenuates the volume by 8.0 dB.) The reason for this is to prevent distortion, because in this particular preset, the frequency band with the largest boost is boosted by 8.0 dB.

"eq low shelf filter" means it's the lowest adjustable frequency band on the list, "eq high shelf filter" means it's the highest adjustable one on the list, and "eq peak filter" means it's neither the lowest nor highest adjustable band.

On each line, the third numeral from the right is the frequency (Hz) that's being adjusted.

The second one from the right is the "Q factor" (or something like that), times 10. In these presets, a numeric listing of "7" for this actually means "0.7 Q," and "10" means "1.0 Q." I can't remember exactly what this does, but I think it's related to the "rolloff" rate near each frequency band, or something like that. I personally have no expertise on this Q factor stuff, so I just left all of these settings at their defaults. The highest and lowest bands use 0.7 Q, and all the others have 1.0 Q.

Finally, the numeral on the far right of each line is the number of decibels (dB) that that frequency band is boosted or attenuated, times 10. If it says "30," for example, it means "+3.0 dB." If it says "-5," it means "-0.5 dB." So in this particular preset, 32 Hz gets boosted by 8.0 dB, 64 Hz by 7.5 dB, etc.

Bear in mind that the maximum possible precut, boost, and attenuation amount in Rockbox (on the iPod Classic) is 24.0 dB (or -24.0 dB), and the smallest possible dB increment is 0.1 dB. If you attempt to use anything more than 24.0 dB, you'll get a very bad and very noisy error! You may also have to reboot your iPod if this error causes it to freeze up.

Anyway, other devices might have different dB maximum limits for their EQs, so this is important to keep in mind.

Fire away if you have any more questions. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back