Rockbox for iPOD Video 5th 5.5th mSATA SSD MOD
Jan 7, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #156 of 227
But the card will not work in the iPod if you format it via USB. At least it never worked for me.

Yeah, I think I'm giving up on that.  I went through the linux restore process several times to make sure I did everything right and never got the drive to work again. Kicking myself for not just being patient and letting it get a full charge in disk mode before doing anything further. I don't understand why that is though. If you're rewriting the original MBR and firmware why would it make a difference whether the drive is being accessed via USB or SATA?

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #157 of 227
Sea Monkey

If you have a notebook that has multiple drive bays, then you should be able to use this. It's what I used. Then you will have to go into Disk Management and probably assign a drive letter to the msata drive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G8772CS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #158 of 227
@Sea Monkey

If you have a notebook that has multiple drive bays, then you should be able to use this. It's what I used. Then you will have to go into Disk Management and probably assign a drive letter to the msata drive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G8772CS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Walkthrough would be awesome xD

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #159 of 227
I purchased a similar product, but I'm just going to chuck it into a desktop.  I wouldn't think using Disk Management to format would work since it won't allow you to format as FAT32.  My plan was to just go through the same manual restore process I was attempting with the USB adapter via Linux.

On the plus side, just for kicks I reinstalled my 'dead' hard drive in my iPod and it seems to be working without issue, so I at least have a working iPod until that part arrives. I must have knocked the ZIF connection loose at some point. I've been without a working iPod for several months and all I had to do was reseat a damned connector.  Oh well.  I was planning on upgrading to an SSD eventually anyhow.

I considered buying a firewire/usb y-cable and a firewire AC adapter too, but I'm going to wait and see if I'll actually need it, as I've been spending quite a bit of money on PC components and electronics lately as it is.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #160 of 227
I received my new adapter, reformatted, and ran the restore process in iTunes.  It appeared to complete and said the iPod was going to reset, but it's just been sitting there at the 'Do Not Disconnect' screen for about ten minutes with the little refresh icon in the upper left hand corner.  Is it locked up or just taking a long time?

*edit* Reset the iPod and it went back to sad face.  Discovered that as long as I am using the mSATA to SATA adapter, getting it back into disk mode doesn't require the full manual restore - just
Code:
 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1024K count=1024

*edit2* Think I locked it up the first time trying to go into Disk Management while it was trying to restart the iPod. Second time successful. "Welcome to your new iPod"! Now on to Rockbox and the mSATA patch.

*edit3* Installed the Rockbox firmware and thought I should restart in Rockbox mode before copying the mSATA patch files over.  ATA error -11.  Sad face again when I reset. Running another restore now.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #161 of 227
  I received my new adapter, reformatted, and ran the restore process in iTunes.  It appeared to complete and said the iPod was going to reset, but it's just been sitting there at the 'Do Not Disconnect' screen for about ten minutes with the little refresh icon in the upper left hand corner.  Is it locked up or just taking a long time?

Disconnect the iPod and reset it.

• Slide the iPod's Hold switch to the "Hold" position and then toggle it back again to turn it off. ...
  • Press the Menu and Center buttons simultaneously for six to eight seconds, until the Apple logo appears. ...
  • Connect the iPod Classic to a power supply if it did not successfully reset.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #162 of 227
Success! Ran the mSATA patch *before* rebooting and that did it.  Now to copying files... Unfortunately I don't have the firewire/usb y-cable.  Hoping I'll get lucky and not need it.

*edit* Got about 30GB transferred on a full charge before the battery died and I had to restore again. Ordered a y-cable and firewire ac adapter.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #163 of 227
Hi Team,

I have my 6G at this point, however, my i try to load my files using Media Monkey after the completion, the database shows empty.

Help help help.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #164 of 227
  Hi Team,

I have my 6G at this point, however, my i try to load my files using Media Monkey after the completion, the database shows empty.

Help help help.

What is happening is that you are loading the music like you would do with Apple OF firmware.

Just dump the files in a folder on the root of your iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back