ROCK Zircon + Mula IEM Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #1,217 of 1,258
My Rock Zircons survived the rain yesterday. A lot of rain. I'm pretty happy with them.

There's a reason why they're shaped like swans, they're made for the rain! 
ksc75smile.gif
  But, seriously I think the housing, which is a ceramic-like structure has a lot to do with it.

Glad they worked out for you.
etysmile.gif

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #1,218 of 1,258
Got my Zircon a few weeks now and got mixed feelings about it.

Reached my expections:
- Stunning deep, contured and adult growling lows for many electronical stuff gives me a feeling of a way more expensive IEM
- Same for the soundimage seperation and transparancy, especially with EQ-reduced bass
- Soundstage feels pretty natural and sounds just right to me
- Comfort. I forget wearing them after a few minutes

Missed my expections:
- Hard up to impossible to use the remote blindly. Actually I'm scared to destroy the button if not looking
- Tonaly there's just something wrong with the trebles, that reminds me continiously I'm listening to a 10$ toy
- This treble tone also tends to a plastictoy like, squawking harshness
- Cable quality/noise, especially the upper part

Overall these are definitely fun when listening to electronical stuff, Rap or other synthesizer beats. The mid overlaying bass by default is too much for my ears and needs to be equalized. As far as I do that, the trebles harshness (if appearing) is even more problematic, so I equalize the trebles down a bit too. Yes, this way they sound really stunning overall for what they are. As long as listening to the generes above. The whole image reproduction gets suprisingly clear and easy to listen through.With the vocals on a compareable pleasing level with the bass. As long as as there's no subbass paired with fast basskicks, what can make the soundimage pretty muddy. Trebles are crisp and textured in one way. (At least it got some) But from time to time also here, they remind me on what they are. As like as they do nearly to continously, when listen to music with real instruments. Like Rock and Classic. Mainly because of the tonaly wrongness I talked above, which sounds just a bit too unauthentic. And unequalized, often harsh.

There's a decent static noise too. But seemingly I'm the only one who notices, lol. At least I've never read about it and also none of the test persons I gave the Zircons to, was able to confirm that noise, that I clearly can hear, as far as the IEM is plugged to a powered source. Well, its very decent, so I actually don't complain about this. Background noise in most music is way heavier. But it needs to be told.

For 10$ I would say, just get them if you mainly listen to that modern stuff. Using a set of those T500/400 eartips even improves the wear and listening experience a little to me. So I recommend to get a pair, if you want to keep using the Zircon. If you listen to 'real' music you will probably find a more pleasing solution for even less. I got a 4$ Piston Colorfull that actually is. At least in terms of being tonal authentic.

Well, thats my impression for the late 2016 version. While looking to many reviews, I'm seriously asking my self if the 2015 version had the treble issues too.
confused.gif

But maybe my ears are just to sensible because they are used to listen to way more expensive solutions. If you come from one of those stock Smartphone Headsets, the Zircon will propably blow you out of your sneakers. But alot of others too. Damn...this got longer than I'd want it to... oh and... the plug design should be a kind of industrial standard IMO.
tongue.gif

cheers

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #1,220 of 1,258
  Got my Zircon a few weeks now and got mixed feelings about it.

Reached my expections:
- Stunning deep, contured and adult growling lows for many electronical stuff gives me a feeling of a way more expensive IEM
- Same for the soundimage seperation and transparancy, especially with EQ-reduced bass
- Soundstage feels pretty natural and sounds just right to me
- Comfort. I forget wearing them after a few minutes

Missed my expections:
- Hard up to impossible to use the remote blindly. Actually I'm scared to destroy the button if not looking
- Tonaly there's just something wrong with the trebles, that reminds me continiously I'm listening to a 10$ toy
- This treble tone also tends to a plastictoy like, squawking harshness
- Cable quality/noise, especially the upper part

Overall these are definitely fun when listening to electronical stuff, Rap or other synthesizer beats. The mid overlaying bass by default is too much for my ears and needs to be equalized. As far as I do that, the trebles harshness (if appearing) is even more problematic, so I equalize the trebles down a bit too. Yes, this way they sound really stunning overall for what they are. As long as listening to the generes above. The whole image reproduction gets suprisingly clear and easy to listen through.With the vocals on a compareable pleasing level with the bass. As long as as there's no subbass paired with fast basskicks, what can make the soundimage pretty muddy. Trebles are crisp and textured in one way. (At least it got some) But from time to time also here, they remind me on what they are. As like as they do nearly to continously, when listen to music with real instruments. Like Rock and Classic. Mainly because of the tonaly wrongness I talked above, which sounds just a bit too unauthentic. And unequalized, often harsh.

There's a decent static noise too. But seemingly I'm the only one who notices, lol. At least I've never read about it and also none of the test persons I gave the Zircons to, was able to confirm that noise, that I clearly can hear, as far as the IEM is plugged to a powered source. Well, its very decent, so I actually don't complain about this. Background noise in most music is way heavier. But it needs to be told.

For 10$ I would say, just get them if you mainly listen to that modern stuff. Using a set of those T500/400 eartips even improves the wear and listening experience a little to me. So I recommend to get a pair, if you want to keep using the Zircon. If you listen to 'real' music you will probably find a more pleasing solution for even less. I got a 4$ Piston Colorfull that actually is. At least in terms of being tonal authentic.

Well, thats my impression for the late 2016 version. While looking to many reviews, I'm seriously asking my self if the 2015 version had the treble issues too.
confused.gif

But maybe my ears are just to sensible because they are used to listen to way more expensive solutions. If you come from one of those stock Smartphone Headsets, the Zircon will propably blow you out of your sneakers. But alot of others too. Damn...this got longer than I'd want it to... oh and... the plug design should be a kind of industrial standard IMO.
tongue.gif

cheers

Hey? ....Try my MOD!
They definitely work!  
etysmile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780859/rock-zircon-mula-iem-impressions-thread/1185#post_12923569

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #1,221 of 1,258
@Viber
I already read about that on Amazon. But to be fair, you can read the same about the Beyerdynamic DTxxx series. I had a bunch of Beyers that failed on one side after a few hours too. So, depending on problems like this, I would have to call Beyer-Headphones bad quality as well. But I also have to say... 158h speaker lifetime @ 38mW, seems kinda low to me:

I will see...

@1clearhead
The cavity part of your mod is described as decoration part. I didn't expect to hear any difference, to be honest. But it's indeed, huge. I can confirm it's an overall more balanced listening experience, from a view of its frequency response. Trebles realy seem a bit smoother, What?! Still to much bass and tending harshness for me overall, but way easier to equalizer now. But as like always, there are disadvantages too. And in this case it also shrinks the soundstage and makes it sounding less airy. It also decreases the deep, surrounding, adult bass experience a whole lot. And in general, single sounds don't seem to fade out so smooth and relaxed anymore, especially on higher volumes. It's maybe a good mod to get things under control on unamplified sources, like a smartphone. A proper equalzing on these devices is kinda hard, without losing too much volume. But I prefer a softmod overall. It looks this way:

For those want to try the hardmod, I recommend you to get a toothpick, cut off its ends and stick them into the holes. This way you can easily pull them out while listening, to get a good impress of the changes. A chewinggum or some play dough propably does it as well.

Try this track to hear what I've ment with the decreased soundstage: https://soundcloud.com/kygo/the-xx-angels-kygo-edit
Try this one for the same about the bass experience: https://soundcloud.com/kygo/the-wilhelm-scream-kygo-remix

The mod made me rethink about this headphone. While I thought the strange tonality is caused by the driver itself, I think now they could get its harshness under control by using a more massiv, zircon 'dekoration part' (Not closed). And not that cheap, strange resonance causing plastic. Paired with a more balanced frequency response, it really could become the outstanding buget IEM that the people praise it to be, out of the box.

Did you guys actually tried to wear them with sides swapped? - I must say, they stay way better in my ear this way, lol.
I also got Remax 610D a few days now. And its eartips.... hell... the Zircon should be deleviered with those for sure. Perfect, just perfect eartips for the Zircon. Unluckily I don't know the exact model of those tips. I instantly would buy a bunch. But you also won't do anything wrong with the 610D. A more balanced, harmonic out of the box experience. It can't reach the amazing image seperation and deep bass of the Zircon, but it's getting close and doesn't need much equalizing, if any. At least I easily prefer it over the KZ-ATE in sound and comfort. I just don't know why they picked that cheap noodle cable. -_-

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,222 of 1,258
  Right channel died after 3 months, happened to a lot of other people too.
At least GearBest were cool and refunded me 50% of the price so i can maybe buy earphones from a better company now.

Resurrected!

Turns out the cable (maybe even the mic?) was the problem.
Changing the jack didn't help so i had to ruin another old pair and cut off the mic as well, too bad i didn't have a black cable so it would look nicer.

Sound is kinda better now from some reason... more bass.

Does it look horrible now? 

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #1,224 of 1,258
Can anyone who uses Comply eartips suggest me the best nozzle size (T-100,T200,T400,T500) for this Rock Zircon?
I'm planning to buy some from Aliexpress since it's way cheaper than Comply official store.

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,228 of 1,258
    Received these babies and... really impressed!! Amazing bass, nice mids (not too recessed), Ok trebles, not sibilants. Nice soundstage and good fit. I'm very happy with them!

Nice. I look forward to hearing mine. An ex-member recently said that despite hearing dozens of headphones (and reviewing them for his website), he mainly listens to the Zircons on a daily basis. That's pretty exciting news! (And, a huge bank account saver for most of us.)

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #1,229 of 1,258
Guys I'm new to the thread. I own KZ ED9, SoundMagic E10S and Xiaomi Hybrid. I'm looking to buy this earphones but how's the buid quality? Thanks

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #1,230 of 1,258
Guys I'm new to the thread. I own KZ ED9, SoundMagic E10S and Xiaomi Hybrid. I'm looking to buy this earphones but how's the buid quality? Thanks

See the many posts before: to quote, "Right channel died after 3 months, happened to a lot of other people too".
I've also seen cases where the mic side fell apart, or the wiring came out of the jack. Compared with the almost bulletproof Soundmagic, and indeed the sound of the Soundmagic, I think you might be disappointed. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back