ROCK Zircon + Mula IEM Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #872 of 1,258
Dec 27, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #873 of 1,258

Rock Mula-US $5.56

for the next few hours

What do you think?
Is it a must have if you already have zircon?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Rock-Mula-Stereo-Deep-Bass-Earphone-Headset-Headphone-Earphones-Aluminum-In-Ear-Earphone-3-5mm-For/1909710_32519192144.html?sdom=101.646.676.0_32519192144

quick replies pls

tnx

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #874 of 1,258

Rock Mula-US $5.56

for the next few hours

What do you think?
Is it a must have if you already have zircon?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Rock-Mula-Stereo-Deep-Bass-Earphone-Headset-Headphone-Earphones-Aluminum-In-Ear-Earphone-3-5mm-For/1909710_32519192144.html?sdom=101.646.676.0_32519192144

quick replies pls

tnx

No. Mula are a disappointment. If you wanna try a new design, try getting Zircon Sport, it has the same driver the Zircon has, just a sport-oriented fit. If you have a perfect fit with Zircon anyway, then no point in getting new budget earphones anyway, Zircon are among the best around here. The only competitors it has are boarseman CX98 (maybe CX98S also, didn't get it yet) and Xiaomi Hybrid.

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #875 of 1,258

No. Mula are a disappointment. If you wanna try a new design, try getting Zircon Sport, it has the same driver the Zircon has, just a sport-oriented fit. If you have a perfect fit with Zircon anyway, then no point in getting new budget earphones anyway, Zircon are among the best around here. The only competitors it has are boarseman CX98 (maybe CX98S also, didn't get it yet) and Xiaomi Hybrid.

OK Igor,
Clear spot on comment. I will follow it and pass on mulas.
Thnx a lot

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #876 of 1,258

Hey Igor, did you try the sports version?? How does it sound? Any other iem on your list that gives tough to Zircon?

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #877 of 1,258

Hey Igor, did you try the sports version?? How does it sound? Any other iem on your list that gives tough to Zircon?

I just ordered it a few days back, I'll see when it reaches me.
By the way, one of my Zircon's housings just unglued when I tried to take the tip off. To be fair I take the tips off quite often so I can't really blame them.
Luckily I didn't pull out the wires, so gluing it back should do the trick...

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #879 of 1,258
  @Igor Eisberg I am waiting for Zircon in audiobudget.

Yeah sorry about that, I'm redesigning a few things there to make the review more detailed and graphic, and shorter and less time consuming.
And I also have this bunch on my hands to take pics of and review (and now that I have Vibro Veritas, I need to re-review all of the products with a proper graph attached).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/20760#post_12199802

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #880 of 1,258
It may not have been said often enough that Rock Zircon is a basshead IEM.  I knew they had some bass, but after getting them, yeah, they have bass.  That sub-bass that lingers around and muddies things up.  I need more time with them to be sure where it comes from, but it's either the bass, or possibly the mids, that are excessive and give the sound an echo reverb effect.  EQ'ing it down cleans it up pretty nicely.  

Some people may like the "musicality" from the reverb effect.  It can be enjoyable for a smooth listen, but it smears the details and kind of sounds like you're in a cave.

People have said it has a good soundstage, and it does, and is the main reason I bought them.  Plenty of things have good left-right narrow soundstage, but Zircon also has good height that helps with that out-of-head feeling above your ears.  They're no AKG 701, but if these weren't an object sticking in my ears, they could pass for some decent closed headphones.  

Even with the low end and some mids EQ'd down, there's a naturalness to the tonality, some might call it dark.  

I'm still confused on the Mulas.  Some opinions were they are the Zircon with less bass and more detail, which sounds exactly what I want.  But other, more common opinions are "they're not good, don't get them."  And I think some even said the Mula soundstage isn't even all that good.

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #881 of 1,258
It may not have been said often enough that Rock Zircon is a basshead IEM.  I knew they had some bass, but after getting them, yeah, they have bass.  That sub-bass that lingers around and muddies things up.  I need more time with them to be sure where it comes from, but it's either the bass, or possibly the mids, that are excessive and give the sound an echo reverb effect.  EQ'ing it down cleans it up pretty nicely.  

Some people may like the "musicality" from the reverb effect.  It can be enjoyable for a smooth listen, but it smears the details and kind of sounds like you're in a cave.

People have said it has a good soundstage, and it does, and is the main reason I bought them.  Plenty of things have good left-right narrow soundstage, but Zircon also has good height that helps with that out-of-head feeling above your ears.  They're no AKG 701, but if these weren't an object sticking in my ears, they could pass for some decent closed headphones.  

Even with the low end and some mids EQ'd down, there's a naturalness to the tonality, some might call it dark.  

I'm still confused on the Mulas.  Some opinions were they are the Zircon with less bass and more detail, which sounds exactly what I want.  But other, more common opinions are "they're not good, don't get them."  And I think some even said the Mula soundstage isn't even all that good.

:grinning: I loved the excitement of the Zircons from the git go. Not so much the Mulas. They're not bad just... Meh sounding. A lot like the earmax er580 or the Moaol mp850.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #882 of 1,258

Like TwinACStacks I think the Mulas is not bad sounding but is nothing special compared to the Zircons,.. and I have yet to see anyone say otherwise here. As said before Zircons are fun sounding and not reference level. skip the mula. changing the tips, or source will do nothing worth  

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #883 of 1,258

Did you roll in some narrower tips, that gets a grip on the low-end bloatedness for sure. I found the sound-stage kind of arrow-tipped.... tall and it kinds of narrows in front if that makes sense.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #884 of 1,258

Did you roll in some narrower tips, that gets a grip on the low-end bloatedness for sure. I found the sound-stage kind of arrow-tipped.... tall and it kinds of narrows in front if that makes sense.

I only have so many IEMs and tips to choose from and have only played with them for so long, but so far the best tip swapping has been to put the Zircon tips on the KZ EDR1 (lacks low end), and put the EDR1 tips on the Zircon (too much low end).  Though they're still bloaty.  

Listening some more, while they still have overly strong bass, I think the main bloat problem is actually around 150hz.  It's that bloaty, in a cave, echo sound.  

Maybe tip rolling knocked out some low bass but added more 150hz bloat.  More testing will be needed.  
L3000.gif

Regardless, I do enjoy the Zircon, and can eq most of the bloat away while still retaining that tonality and fullness it has.     

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #885 of 1,258

cool.gif
Wow Lohb, your ears are better than mine. I can barely tell IF there is a sound stage.
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back