ROCK Zircon + Mula IEM Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #706 of 1,258
To those that are having bass issues, are you playing them with flat EQ? I don't find them excessive or boomy at all running flat. Could just be my basshead ears though.

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #707 of 1,258
To those that are having bass issues, are you playing them with flat EQ? I don't find them excessive or boomy at all running flat. Could just be my basshead ears though.

Yes, no EQ at all on both Nexus 5 and desktop PC. If these sounds flat to you you either have leaky isolation or you really have some serious hearing damage in the low end. There's no way these can be characterised as not bass heavy.

I am quite allergic to overly flat and neutral in-ears as I prefer warm and smooth with plenty of low end, but I have to say these really sound bassy as hell straight out of the box.

They're quite fun to listen to but I really hope burn-in will tone it down a little bit. It's just too much. It sound like I'm trapped in a sub woofer at times, especially with Hip-Hop and Electronic music. Rock is fine, but even some Soul and R&B songs with strong bass guitars or bassline synths the low end becomes quite overwhelming.

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #708 of 1,258
Yes, no EQ at all on both Nexus 5 and desktop PC. If these sounds flat to you you either have leaky isolation or you really have some serious hearing damage in the low end. There's no way these can be characterised as not bass heavy.

I am quite allergic to overly flat and neutral in-ears as I prefer warm and smooth with plenty of low end, but I have to say these really sound bassy as hell straight out of the box.

They're quite fun to listen to but I really hope burn-in will tone it down a little bit. It's just too much. It sound like I'm trapped in a sub woofer at times, especially with Hip-Hop and Electronic music. Rock is fine, but even some Soul and R&B songs with strong bass guitars or bassline synths the low end becomes quite overwhelming.

No, didn't mean to imply that they sound neutral running flat EQ. Just not boomy or excessive. My wife complains all the time that I don't listen to her so maybe I do have hearing damage :wink:.

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #709 of 1,258
No, didn't mean to imply that they sound neutral running flat EQ. Just not boomy or excessive. My wife complains all the time that I don't listen to her so maybe I do have hearing damage
wink.gif

Haha. No insult was meant by that by the way.

I too suffer from slight loss of hearing. I have a light form of tinnitus. It's a son of a bitch but it's manageable for now. A few too many raves and buzzing ears the day after gave me the gift of 'the eternal beep'. If you have hearing loss it usually begins at the top end of the hearing spectrum. I guess this is why I'm quite sensitive to sibilance too.

Back on topic. I tried some narrow bore silicon tips I had kicking around and it does seem to help a little bit, although it seems to bring down the highs a bit too. Might digging for some double or triple flanges be a good idea?

Aren't the Zircons very sensitive to in ear placement too? Even the slightest adjustment can drastically chance the sound sometimes.

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #710 of 1,258
Haha. No insult was meant by that by the way.

I too suffer from slight loss of hearing. I have a light form of tinnitus. It's a son of a bitch but it's manageable for now. A few too many raves and buzzing ears the day after gave me the gift of 'the eternal beep'. If you have hearing loss it usually begins at the top end of the hearing spectrum. I guess this is why I'm quite sensitive to sibilance too.

Back on topic. I tried some narrow bore silicon tips I had kicking around and it does seem to help a little bit, although it seems to bring down the highs a bit too. Might digging for some double or triple flanges be a good idea?

Aren't the Zircons very sensitive to in ear placement too? Even the slightest adjustment can drastically chance the sound sometimes.

No insult taken. Do play around with tips. Never have tried doubles or triples on them but they could be for you.

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #712 of 1,258

I'm using it straight from my iPhone 5s 
have not even saw EQ (does iPhone has adjustable EQ?)

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #713 of 1,258
Nov 20, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #714 of 1,258
Go into Settings/Music/EQ

Thanks, but I was not missing it for 1,5 years, so why bother now? :D
I do think if I have to play around with EQ there might be something wrong with eighter the recording or the iem itself.

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #715 of 1,258
@slowpickr found them boomy and excessive with stock tips and no EQ(never EQ) .......burn-in and narrow bore sorted that out - currently just running straight out an Asus phone and Macbook Air till my used HRT microStreamer DAC arrives..

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #716 of 1,258
@slowpickr
found them boomy and excessive with stock tips and no EQ(never EQ) .......burn-in and narrow bore sorted that out - currently just running straight out an Asus phone and Macbook Air till my used HRT microStreamer DAC arrives..

I actually wondered about that after posting above. Seems like I recall them being boomy OOTB. After having them a while I don't consider them that much more bassy than my KC06As or Deltas with gunmetal filters.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #717 of 1,258
Gona have to tip roll then, my Zircons and Mulas are still in flight. Perhaps I should try the Mulas first?

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #718 of 1,258
Gona have to tip roll then, my Zircons and Mulas are still in flight. Perhaps I should try the Mulas first?

Mulas???? All the best with the lifeless/dry/weak sound.
Frankly speaking I'm terribly disappointed with Mulas. Especially when I know KZ ED9 gave me so much pleasure in the same price.
I think over the period of time some bad quality earphones brought down everyone's taste of music. So when a normal sounding iem comes, people start appreciating them as if there was no better sound before. I just understand there is GOOD sound and BAD sound. Just because something is available for cheap price doesn't make them good. A good example can be Koss KSC75, they are affordable and does very good job for the price.

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #719 of 1,258
Mulas???? All the best with the lifeless/dry/weak sound.
Frankly speaking I'm terribly disappointed with Mulas. Especially when I know KZ ED9 gave me so much pleasure in the same price.
I think over the period of time some bad quality earphones brought down everyone's taste of music. So when a normal sounding iem comes, people start appreciating them as if there was no better sound before. I just understand there is GOOD sound and BAD sound. Just because something is available for cheap price doesn't make them good. A good example can be Koss KSC75, they are affordable and does very good job for the price.

Okay so I should have skipped buying them all together then?

Also someone said using the Mulas tips on Zircons is a must, is that true?

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #720 of 1,258
I hate the Mula's tips. They're just downright awful.
If you change them to ANYTHING they sound better. However they still not good enough to justify even the 9 usd I paid them for.
Rather buy some random KZ instead.

The Zircon's ROCK! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back