Rock Must-Have albums
Dec 9, 2006 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

itay

100+ Head-Fier
what albums are must have in rock history ? ( lets start from the 60's .. )

For Example : Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon ( i think everyone uses that album as an example )

give no more then 10 and try to write details about it and the reason you chose it .

Dec 9, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 76
60's
Beatles: Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, White Album, Abbey Road
Jimi Hendrix: Are you Experienced
70's
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin IV
Black Sabbath: Paranoid
Frank Zappa: Apostrophe, One Size Fits All, Joe's Garage

I guess thats 10. The reason I chose these are because I can't find much if any faults in them.

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 76
My 3 all-time favorite albums, the end.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moooon
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV

Dec 9, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 76
Clash self-titled, London Calling

Led Zepplin I , II, III

Pearl Jam Ten

Creedence Clearwater Revival Green River, Willy and the Poorboys

Beattles RubberSoul

Van Halen self-titled

Dire Straits Brothers in Arms

Dec 9, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 76
60s:

Kinks "Kinda Kinks"
Beach Boys "Pet Sounds"
Beatles "Revolver"
Procol Harum "A Salty Dog"
Led Zeppelin "II"
Eric Burden and the (New) Animals "Winds of Change"

70s:

Genesis "Nursery Cryme"
Deep Purple (mkII) "Fireball"
King Crimson "Larks' Tongues in Aspic"
Black Sabbath "Black Sabbath"

Dec 9, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 76
In no particular order...as they come to me...
The Beatles - Rubber Soul --- This is the first album where the Beatles stop writing pure love songs and start to experiment, both musically and with drugs. A great transition album
The Beatles - Abbey Road --- Pretty self explanatory. IMO the culmination of their creative and musical efforts.
The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street --- For what rock n' roll sounds like
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon --- Pretty self explanatory
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced --- One of the defining sounds of the 60s
The Clash - London Calling --- First wave of punk in Britain, as well as the forerunner for post-punk, and later, postmodernism in music
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction --- This is why rock is so dangerous and powerful
Van Halen - Van Halen --- A straight forward rocker that revolutionized the way guitars were played
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast --- Just a great example of early British metal, and a great gateway into metal
Nirvana - Nevermind --- I hate this album with a passion and everything it stands for, but if you're looking to compile a list of albums that define a generation, this is it for the 90s. Almost every album within rock post-1991 has been affected by this album, however indirectly. Also, IMO, destroyed rock as the 70s and 80s knew it.

Those are my choices...I don't know if I'd stick with them tomorrow, heh...they came to me off the top of my head.

Dec 9, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 76
The Velvet Underground & Nico
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street

Are probably my picks for most important to rock. The Beatles are absent since they weren't really a rock band.

Dec 9, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beatles are absent since they weren't really a rock band.

Uhhh... what were they then? Rolling Stones were pop and country at times, but they made it on your list (I know Exile isn't one of those albums).

Dec 9, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhhh... what were they then?

Pop. They made a few songs that would go into other genres, but really they're pretty much the very definition of a pop band.

Dec 9, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 76
You might be intrested in taking a look at this. Even though the list does not only contian Rock albums, and meny people would disagree with their choices, it is still a good refrence point.
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pop. They made a few songs that would go into other genres, but really they're pretty much the very definition of a pop band.

Take the 'Stones off your list then - much like the Beatles, they were a POP band that expanded into rock territory. By your definition, the Beach Boys are not a rock band either. Sorry dude, but pop is very multi-dimensional. The Rolling Stones, Beach Boys and Beatles epitomize the pop-rock band of the 1960's. You have effectively grouped these bands with the likes of The Monkees (who were also rock).

Dec 9, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 76
Well, most people already have the usual suspects, and there are already a billion lists telling you why you need them, so I'll just toss out an old favorite that still kicks, Dr. Feelgood Malpractice. One of those that seems like it should've been big, and better than most albums that did make it on all those silly essential lists. The year was something like 1975 for this one, and it's a damn good, ass kicking collection of working class rock and roll. Love this album. Their first in the US and my introduction, and I bought a bunch of LPs after that, but none as good as this. The real deal. Right up there with the best of Graham Parker and Brinsley Schwarz and all the rest of the English pub rockers. Very cool stuff and pretty nice sound too, at least on the wax. Real dynamic and ballsy. Don't know what the CD sounds like, although I do vaguely recall a remastered track from it making it onto one of those Uncut Magazine samplers a few years ago, and it sounded kind of punched up like a modern pile of #$!*. My opinion? They don't crank these kind of albums out anymore, so look for the original, and play it loud!

B000FS9NO6.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V66503350_.jpg

Dec 9, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #13 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radagast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might be intrested in taking a look at this. Even though the list does not only contian Rock albums, and meny people would disagree with their choices, it is still a good refrence point.
wink.gif

I like that list because Van Morrison's 'Astral Weeks' is in the top 20. I personally like Van's 'Moondance' better, but Astral Weeks is deserving of a top 20 spot on a best albums of all time list (IMO).

Dec 9, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #14 of 76
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Dec 9, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take the 'Stones off your list then - much like the Beatles, they were a POP band that expanded into rock territory. By your definition, the Beach Boys are not a rock band either. Sorry dude, but pop is very multi-dimensional. The Rolling Stones, Beach Boys and Beatles epitomize the pop-rock band of the 1960's. You have effectively grouped these bands with the likes of The Monkees (who were also rock).

Uh... what?

Let's just chalk this up to difference of opinion and both shut up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back