Rock Must-Have albums
Dec 10, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #31 of 76
Good lord, all these responses and no one's mentioned The Who- Who's Next?
basshead.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #32 of 76
In no particular order:

Jimi Hendrix -- Electric Ladyland, Are You Experienced
Allman Brothers -- Live at the Filmore East
RadioHead -- The Bends
Tool -- 10,000 Days
Foo Fighters -- There is Nothing Left to Lose
Rolling Stones -- Sticky Fingers
Kidney Thieves -- Zero Space
Santana -- Santana (1st LP)
The Black Keys -- Rubber Factory

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #33 of 76
Big Star - #1 Record/Radio City

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #35 of 76
THought I would put my $0.02 in on this one. Something I just picked up this weekend...

The Beatles - LOVE

**** - The Beatles have never sounded so good. There is even a 5.1 audio dvd. If you are a Beatles fan, this is a MUST HAVE!!!!

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #36 of 76
Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny (1976), Sin After Sin (1977), and Stained Class (1978) - These albums are what many consider to be the point at which Heavy Metal clearly branched off from rock. All three are exceptional albums, with Stained Class being the strongest of the lot IMO.

Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation (1977) - I'm sure a lot of people would recomend Jailbreak, but I think this is the superior album. It's more complex, has better mastering, and still catchy as hell.

David Bowie - Hunky Dory (1971) - Honestly, Bowie has a ton of great albums that I could have picked in this one's place, but this is the one I've been listening to the most lately. All in all a very consistent album.

Husker Du - Zen Arcade (1984) - Again, I had a hard time deciding on what album to pick. Many fans consider this album Husker Du's best, and certainly their most influencial.

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #37 of 76
for me personally, I would have to say Tool's Aenema. Great production, layers and layers of crunchy and wet guitar tones, and airy/hypnotic drum tracks. I do aplaude tools decision not to use too much compression on their productions.

Dec 11, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #38 of 76
Rush - Moving Pictures
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Yes - Close to the Edge
Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
Joe Satriani - Flying in a Blue Dream
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Sunny Day Real Estate - How it feels to be something on
Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

EDIT: OOPS, more than 10 & I'm too lazy right now to give reasons for my pics.

Dec 11, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big Star - #1 Record/Radio City

hell effing yea!!!

i was just about to mention this but someone did it before me

Dec 11, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #40 of 76
I think it just depends on what you like, and nothing more.

There is no "must have" albulm of any kind (rock, pop, jazz, blues, folk, whatever) any more than there is a must have art print, a must have book, or a must have necktie.

But the Robin Trower recommendation was a good one, I must say!

Dec 11, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #41 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coming back with a list of suggestions. This time, the dreaded 90s!

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Bloodsugarsexmagik"
Dinosaur Jr. "Without a Sound"
Weezer "Self Titled"
Nirvana "In Utero"
The Flaming Lips "The Soft Bulletin"
Anthrax "Sound of White Noise"
Frank Black "Teenager of the Year"
Smashing Pumpkins "Siamese Dream"
Jeff Buckley "Grace"
Soundgarden "Badmotorfinger"

A 90's rock list and no Pearl Jam??? I was refraining from comment on the other major lists, but you can't mention the 90's and rock without Pearl Jam working its way into the conversation. However, it may just be the albums you like, which I can't argue with.

But Frank Black did open for Pearl Jam in 1998, so I guess they work into your list a bit
tongue.gif
. (Not to mention Matt Cameron of Soundgarden is Pearl Jam's drummer as of the past 6 years or so.)

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #42 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it just depends on what you like, and nothing more.

There is no "must have" albulm of any kind (rock, pop, jazz, blues, folk, whatever) any more than there is a must have art print, a must have book, or a must have necktie.

Strongly disagree. There are certain books everyone should read, and there are certain albums that every rock fan should hear (and preferrably own). That's not to say one needs to like the Rolling Stones, or whomever, but if you are really like rock, you should know these albums.

Dec 11, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #43 of 76
60s:

The Beatles / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - it's a cliche, but it changed everything.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience / Are You experienced - blues + LSD = magic.

The Velvet Underground / The Velvet Underground and Nico - there was more to the 60s than flower power. Also a neat distillation of The Factory aesthetic.

The Rolling Stones / Let it Bleed - because the Beatles were losers.

Credence Clearwater Revival / Credence Clearwater Revival - for "Susie Q" alone.

Jefferson Airplane / Surrealistic Pillow - a 60s list would not be complete without at least one album from the bay area scene. This one is as emblematic as any.

Led Zeppelin / Led Zeppelin and Led Zeppelin II - both released in 1969, brought a dark, heavy sexuality to the white-boy blues.

The Byrds / Sweetheart of the Rodeo - country's not just for rednecks.

I know I'm leaving out Motown, The Grateful Dead, Sly & the Family Stone etc. I'm tired and I want to move on.

70s

Black Sabbath / Paranoid - the 60s are over. Rock and Roll belongs to the working class, in this case, ugly guys from Birmingham.

Pink Floyd / Dark Side of the Moon - this could be any of a number of Floyd albums. Dark Side is just too perfect as a symbol of 70s genius and indulgence.

Big Star / #1 Record and Radio City - I call this one album because everybody younger than 50 has them both on the same CD. Take Memphis soul and British Invasion pop sensibility, and mix in a healthy dose of before-its-time songwriter introspection, and you get the greatest album(s) few people have heard (or at least that used to be the case).

The Rolling Stones / Exile on Main Street - again tough to pick a Stones Album, but this perfectly captures the 70s retreat from 60s idealism. Also shows two songwriters at the height of their powers wrestling with their demons for all the world to see.

Various Artists / The Harder They Come Soundtrack - reggae cannot be ignored.

Burning Spear / Marcus Garvey and Garvey's Ghost - emerging from almost impenetrable clouds of ganja smoke, this demonstrates that reggae was as heavy as music could get. Garvey's Ghost is the first (to my knowledge) dub concept album. Like Big Star above, most people probably have both albums on the same CD.

The Sex Pistols / Never Mind the Bollocks . . . Here's the Sex Pistols - if you have to ask why . . .

Talking Heads / More Songs About Buildings and Food - N.Y. art scene freaks, meet Brian Eno. Together, you will make rock as art.

The Cars / The Cars - every song is a delicious, new-wavey treat. Simple pop songs rendered weird and wonderful by the synthesizer.

Bruce Springsteen / Born To Run - Dylan's really from New Jersey, and guess what, he's also a mad studio perfectionist.

80s

U2 / War - Punk made pop? Hard to articulate exactly why this is so great, but it is.

The Beastie Boys / License to Ill - the majority culture can absorp hip-hop, just like the blues. Paul's Boutique is miles better, but this one made everything which came after (both good and bad) possible.

Sonic Youth / Daydream Nation - who knew that something so ugly could be so beautiful.

Public Enemy / It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - finally, music that scares white people (and especially their parents).

Bad Brains / I Against I - hardcore is more than just fast.

This is long enough, I have to get back to work, so maybe more later. Please feel free to rip me a new one.

Dec 11, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #44 of 76
wow... can't believe i hadn't thought of this one yet:

The Clash - London Calling

i'd rank this as perhaps the best rock album of all time.
even though, song-for-song, i prefer their debut album.

Dec 11, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can still clearly remember the first time I listened to Robin Trower - Passion, I believe the first album that Davy Pattison of Ronnie Montrose's band sang for Robin. The first thing that struck me was OMG this sounds exactly like Gamma!!! Davy is a great singer, and I also have a limited edition (signed by Robin) cd for Robin's last album Living Out Of Time and a bootleg of one of their concerts for that album's tour. But the early years with James Dewar I believe were still the best.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back