Rock Jaw Wants to Know....Your Ideal Earphone Design
Mar 21, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #31 of 88
I've tried a whole bunch of earphones and the best overall design I've experienced was from the Oriveti New Primacy. It's shaped like the Phonak PFE series but is smoother, thinner and has far better noise isolation. It's great to sleep on, I just wish the nozzles were a tiny bit longer like the BASIC. For reference, I own the IE800 and Klipsch X10, I've also had extensive experience with Campfire Audio earphones and the Oriveti's, in terms of fitment, have been the best for me so far. The IE800's and Klipsch are both supremely comfortable, but they don't work super well over-ear, perhaps the IE800 would if the cable was longer but then they have heaps of wind noise due to those D2CA ports anyway. I love my IE800's, they are very, very comfortable but that's about it in terms of fit.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #32 of 88
They do look like a  good shape to fit around the earlobe have the memory wire for hooking behind the ear and a long nozzle to fit deep into the ear canal. They have a lot going for them, but like most universals they are a  compromise and some will still experience wind noise with them.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #33 of 88
  They do look like a  good shape to fit around the earlobe have the memory wire for hooking behind the ear and a long nozzle to fit deep into the ear canal. They have a lot going for them, but like most universals they are a  compromise and some will still experience wind noise with them.

I always take my earphones for a few runs to test stability, water ingress, etc and while they do have wind noise, they are one of the least susceptible of the earphone's I've tested, they are very low profile. Even the Westone Alpha's, W30's and Shure SE215's stick out more though they all do isolate slightly more due to their larger housings, it's a toss up depending on your usage I guess. 

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #35 of 88
I am loving this thread. 

Shocked at how many responses I have got from this community, unreal.

Please take this with a pinch of salt, as I don't run my own business and don't have any audio skills apart from being able to appreciate (and occasionally write about) good audio gear, but I think the trick here will be to pick two or three things from the big pile of wishlist items you reckon you can do something a little special with, take them away and polish them until they shine and don't listen to anyone else on here until you have finished your masterpiece.

Design by committee always seems like a good idea, but inevitably trying to keep everyone happy end up making no one happy. Just my two penn'orth -
you guys have built more than enough highly rated pieces of gear so far to know exactly what you are doing (certainly far more than I do!), but I'd hate to be the one trying to cram everyone's ideal characteristics into one IEM shell! :wink:

Some pretty cool ideas coming through so far though.

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #36 of 88
Words of wisdom indeed.... There will be an IEM excellent for running, that'll have lots of bass and a fantastic comfortable fit. There'll be one for the commute on the bus that'll have the bass but that'll need more isolation and no leakage. There'll be the one for the serious listener, that'll be more balanced but with sparkle and have the changeable cables etc.
To be all of these things forces compromise which will impact on the final product. Or alternatively would make many headfiers think that it was a jack of all trades master of none.
The catch 22 of the situation is that most of the headfiers in the IEM enthusiast camp are looking for just that perfect blend and that's why we've all spent 1000s pursuing that quest 

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #37 of 88
Yep agree with the above, by following incremental gain ie small progress ie tweaking and adding imo is the way to go on an already selling product. Its in every business persons DNA or should be. To keep to point on a personal experience regarding Rockjaw... Years ago on a travel trip i inadvertently left my Alfa Genus v 1 in my jeans and put the washing machine on oops!! They passed the washing machine test in flying colours. So that gave me great confidence in the company and product as a starting point re build and so forth. 
wink_face.gif

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #38 of 88
Please take this with a pinch of salt, as I don't run my own business and don't have any audio skills apart from being able to appreciate (and occasionally write about) good audio gear, but I think the trick here will be to pick two or three things from the big pile of wishlist items you reckon you can do something a little special with, take them away and polish them until they shine and don't listen to anyone else on here until you have finished your masterpiece.

Design by committee always seems like a good idea, but inevitably trying to keep everyone happy end up making no one happy. Just my two penn'orth -
you guys have built more than enough highly rated pieces of gear so far to know exactly what you are doing (certainly far more than I do!), but I'd hate to be the one trying to cram everyone's ideal characteristics into one IEM shell! :wink:

Some pretty cool ideas coming through so far though.

This is the idea Jackpot.

I don't believe you can get everyone to love your products, but we will give it a try. :)

We don't ever want to try and cram everything into one IEM. I think it would be impossible and common sense kicks in.

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #39 of 88
Yep agree with the above, by following incremental gain ie small progress ie tweaking and adding imo is the way to go on an already selling product. Its in every business persons DNA or should be. To keep to point on a personal experience regarding Rockjaw... Years ago on a travel trip i inadvertently left my Alfa Genus v 1 in my jeans and put the washing machine on oops!! They passed the washing machine test in flying colours. So that gave me great confidence in the company and product as a starting point re build and so forth. :wink_face:

Wow a washing machine Voxie. Unbelievable I know we focus on quality first, but a washing machine test. You can't write this stuff lol.

Nice to know when we say quality first it now extends washing machine proof.

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #45 of 88
Bullet shaped with super slim design for a great seal and comfort eg Klipsch x20i made of metal 

MMCX cable and or Detachable at the Y split.

We already have MMCX on our Resonate hybrid model. Never need to worry about a broken cable again. They fully replaceable on our flagship IEM.

I like the bullet shape idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back