Rock Jaw Wants to Know....Your Ideal Earphone Design
Apr 1, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #76 of 88
I actually had no idea that that discount code exists :D

Letting us in on a promotion is cool sometimes :wink:

But your point is also good, it would be good to stay on track :beerchug:

Voxie is keeping me on the straight and narrow. :)

The discount for 40% off runs out tomorrow for good. Just allowing the previous guys the opportunity in the community :)

I am not talking anymore about it as I don't want it to become a promo thread.

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #80 of 88
Well here is my two pence /cent worth, just throwing some idea's and not based on costs or practicalities..
1: Filters with different stem lengths?
2: Detachable cables that also terminate both the Y split as well as the shell?
3: Modular Screw on / off drivers from the shell body?

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #81 of 88
Hm... we had some very good ideas so far.

The most important aspect in the end is the sound, but after getting some iffy problems with my ears, I really think that fit should be taken way more into account!
Agree fully.. Fit is imperative and within so comfort. Choice of filter stems within the range would be great

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #82 of 88
Well here is my two pence /cent worth, just throwing some idea's and not based on costs or practicalities..
1: Filters with different stem lengths?
2: Detachable cables that also terminate both the Y split as well as the shell?
3: Modular Screw on / off drivers from the shell body?

I'm a big fan of option 3 - maybe the drivers and crossover could be incorporated inside a metal canister that could be plugged into the inside of the IEM - different driver/sound config in each canister but they would remain the same size so as to be interchangeable. It would require an IEM you could open up, so probably would bring different problems, but would allow a totally modular approach to IEM design - one generic body across multiple driver configs. You could even fix the cabling at the entrance to the shell, as you could effectively replace the entire driver shell if they failed and just keep the driver "pellet".

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #83 of 88
I'm a big fan of option 3 - maybe the drivers and crossover could be incorporated inside a metal canister that could be plugged into the inside of the IEM - different driver/sound config in each canister but they would remain the same size so as to be interchangeable. It would require an IEM you could open up, so probably would bring different problems, but would allow a totally modular approach to IEM design - one generic body across multiple driver configs. You could even fix the cabling at the entrance to the shell, as you could effectively replace the entire driver shell if they failed and just keep the driver "pellet".
That's my thoughts exactly.. like a snap in configuration with a canister shell so to speak?

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #84 of 88
Yeah, something like that. Possibly a body shape like the Trinity Audio Hunter design, with the DD/BA and crossovers contained in the barrel shape, slotting in to the middle of the "donut" shaped main IEM shell around it?

Probably a lot more difficult in practice than I'm thinking, but would certainly be a cool concept!

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #85 of 88
Hi Jackpot77, Agree, would be difficult to implement but i think it's a cool concept as you stated. Will share more idea's and thoughts as they come to mind..Let's keep the thread open to mad idea's as Joe wanted?

May 1, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #86 of 88
For me, fit trumps all else. I want something that is comfortable for 6-8 hours at a time. I'd like to be able to forget I am wearing them. Once the comfort issues are solved, I like a slightly bass heavy sound profile with a lot of treble sparkle and clean mids without a pronounced mid-bass hump or a lot of bleed over. I'm not a huge fan of 47 driver earphones as I value cohesiveness above absolute sound profile. I'd rather EQ something a little to get exactly what I want out of it, than sacrifice cohesion by using a 5 way crossover that ends up creating 5 distinct sound profiles within the same device.

May 2, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #88 of 88
Maybe try to go for a mid forward sounding signature? I dont really know much sub $100 iems that has a mid forward sound. Oh and also the play/pause button on the alfa genus v2 ruins the looks imo. It has that phone looking symbol on it which makes it look cheap :triportsad:. For ergonomics and design I really think that the symmetrical normal looking ones for example like the alfa genus v2, are perfect because they can be worn both cable down and around the ears.( You win both ends of the audience! :dt880smile:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back