Rock female singers recs' please
May 26, 2010 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all.  sometimes i really get tired of all the male growling vocals on metal and want some female vocals to please and relax my ears with.   I really have very few cds in all my collection featuring female vocals,some of them are:
sinead oconnor
anneke van giersbergen (from "the gathering")
"the gathering"
"the cranberries"
Pj harvie
bjork
avril lavigne
and maybe some gothic metal bands singers...but that's probably all.
as you can see,most of them are rock.   I wonder if you guys can throw in some names of other rock singers i can listen to except the above mentioned.  leave gothic metal aside,I am looking for more traditional rock/grunge stuff and not metal.  I also don't want 60's-70's rock either...sorry,i am not so much into that right now.  
don't get this wrong,I am REALLY into quiet songs but they have to be rock and not country,folk and other genres like that.    only rock/heavy rock/grunge please.
thanks!

May 27, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 57
Quote:
Hi all.  sometimes i really get tired of all the male growling vocals on metal and want some female vocals to please and relax my ears with.   I really have very few cds in all my collection featuring female vocals,some of them are:
sinead oconnor
anneke van giersbergen (from "the gathering")
"the gathering"
"the cranberries"
Pj harvie
and maybe some gothic metal bands singers...but that's probably all.
as you can see,most of them are rock.   I wonder if you guys can throw in some names of other rock singers i can listen to except the above mentioned.  leave gothic metal aside,I am looking for more traditional rock/grunge stuff and not metal.  I also don't want 60's-70's rock either...sorry,i am not so much into that right now.  
don't get this wrong,I am REALLY into quiet songs but they have to be rock and not country,folk and other genres like that.    only rock/heavy rock/grunge please.
thanks!

How about The Kills? And, by extension, The Dead Weather?

May 27, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 57
thanks head injury...you arrived just on time for the party
smile.gif
  I realize you are hard into rock stuff...
I didn't even heard of the ones you mentioned
redface.gif
  as most of my days i am inside my metal cave and only come out to breathe every once in a while.  I WILL check those out immediately. can you give one good album you recommend from each one of the bands you mentioned?
if i will like some of the stuff in this thread,I will even get some cd's today...so give your recs' people!

May 27, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 57
Quote:
thanks head injury...you arrived just on time for the party
smile.gif
  I realize you are hard into rock stuff...
I didn't even heard of the ones you mentioned
redface.gif
  as most of my days i am inside my metal cave and only come out to breathe every once in a while.  I WILL check those out immediately. can you give one good album you recommend from each one of the bands you mentioned?
if i will like some of the stuff in this thread,I will even get some cd's today...so give your recs' people!

I've only heard one from each, "No Wow" by The Kills and "Horehound" by The Dead Weather. I'm giving The Dead Weather's second album a listen tomorrow, and will report how it goes.

May 27, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 57
Garbage
Nightwish
Blackmore's Night
Concrete Blonde

Quincy Coleman I really like the album Come Closer
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/quincy2

Not the easiest album to acquire.
I personally got it from her website.

May 27, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 57

Quote:
Garbage
Nightwish
Blackmore's Night
Concrete Blonde

Quincy Coleman I really like the album Come Closer
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/quincy2

Not the easiest album to acquire.
I personally got it from her website.

thanks...oh yeah,totally forgot about garbage.  i should get at least one of their albums,they are very good.  I will check the rest of the stuff you mentioned too.

May 27, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 57
well,after listening to the above mentioned recommendations,i got to the conclusion that i am much more into alternative rock music.  the "kills" and "the dead weather" are just too crazy and grungy for me.   I liked "Concrete Blonde" though,they sound kind of nice. I need to investigate them some more.

May 27, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #11 of 57
That's a relatively diverse list of artists, except for one common thread among several which 90's alt-rock. And since I haven't pimped one of my all time fave acts in a while. Here's Fait Accompli by Curve off the album - a collection of Ep's - Doppelganger.

For something less shoegaze and more jangle akin to the Belly rec, The Real Ramona by Throwing Muses is a classic college rock album.

There is also a long  thread with many recommendations of similar artists: 

Recommend me some female fronted rock

May 27, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #12 of 57

Quote:
No Doubt -I like some of their stuff. I only have the Tragic Kingdom album of theirs.
Forgot about them in my original post.

nah..I don't care for their music or their singer.  the only song i liked was "sunday morning".

Quote:
That's a relatively diverse list of artists, except for one common thread among several which 90's alt-rock. And since I haven't pimped one of my all time fave acts in a while. Here's Fait Accompli by Curve off the album - a collection of Ep's - Doppelganger.

For something less shoegaze and more jangle akin to the Belly rec, The Real Ramona by Throwing Muses is a classic college rock album.

There is also a long  thread with many recommendations of similar artists: 

Recommend me some female fronted rock

thanks for the recs', I will look at this thread.  I did looked for it but didn't find it.

May 27, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 57
To be honest, i am not really into  those music styles. I still have to check the pretenders though...
I really like k's choice style but  didn't care for their songs,but the style is in the right direction.
garbage are also very good.    anything smashing pumpkins' style...?

May 27, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #15 of 57
Portishead maybe? Not quite your style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back