Rob watts DAC design talk
Nov 20, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #376 of 468
[1] No human can form a useful interpretation of a string of millions of 0s and 1s.
[2] ... you're choosing a definition of measurement which suits your purpose, but it's a very idiosyncratic definition which I've never seen anyone else use.

1. Correct, that's why we need a computer (or DAC chip).
2. No I'm not, it's a simple measurement. We measure the amplitude of the voltage, that number is stored as binary data (which is 1s and 0s). That's exactly what we do with all measurements in the digital domain, it's not an idiosyncratic definition in the slightest! Clearly you're having difficulty understanding the concept of how measurements or any other type of numerical value are represented by 1s and 0s, you should therefore find this video very informative:

G

Nov 20, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #377 of 468
So just looking at this year, 2018, it seems you have 2389 posts right now. Is that possible? I must have that wrong. Someone should check. Since this is the 324th day, so that is over 70 posts each and every day. Impressive. But are you too busy to read what I wrote.... or afraid?

Maybe you should check. I think you'll find it's 7 per day :nerd:

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #378 of 468
-300dB in the digital not audio domain as far as i understand from my post before concerning this.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #379 of 468
-300dB in the digital not audio domain as far as i understand from my post before concerning this.

We cannot hear the digital domain or the audio domain, only the acoustic domain. So for Rob Watts or "audiophile circles" to discern differences "which can be heard", that -300dB in the digital domain has to be converted into the analogue domain and then the acoustic domain, both of which is way beyond impossible according to the laws of physics.

G

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #381 of 468
That's OK. Not to worry. I let it slide because it had nothing to do with audio fidelity.

Nov 22, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #382 of 468
We cannot hear the digital domain or the audio domain, only the acoustic domain. So for Rob Watts or "audiophile circles" to discern differences "which can be heard", that -300dB in the digital domain has to be converted into the analogue domain and then the acoustic domain, both of which is way beyond impossible according to the laws of physics.

G

Not sure if this corresponds to your post but one reviewer said that the Chord Dave dac seemed to be able to extract below overt sounds from live recordings ie the atmosphere of the environment the recording was made in, that gave the reviewer a physical response to high quality live recordings he had never experienced before.

Nov 22, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #383 of 468
Not sure if this corresponds to your post but one reviewer said that the Chord Dave dac seemed to be able to extract below overt sounds from live recordings ie the atmosphere of the environment the recording was made in, that gave the reviewer a physical response to high quality live recordings he had never experienced before.
and the smell of coffee from the singer's breath? ^_^

Nov 22, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #384 of 468
Not sure if this corresponds to your post but one reviewer said that the Chord Dave dac seemed to be able to extract below overt sounds

And covertly extract money from suckers' wallets!

Nov 22, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #385 of 468
Sounds like a ‘What Hi-Fi?’ Review. Short on factual data, instead providing a vague, personal impression that cannot be denied nor confirmed.
For all we know, the reviewer had some really, really good magic mushrooms and imagined the whole thing.
In order for the Mojo to do what that bloke described, it would need to do a lot of processing and smoke and mirrors.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #386 of 468
Sounds like a ‘What Hi-Fi?’ Review. Short on factual data, instead providing a vague, personal impression that cannot be denied nor confirmed.
For all we know, the reviewer had some really, really good magic mushrooms and imagined the whole thing.
In order for the Mojo to do what that bloke described, it would need to do a lot of processing and smoke and mirrors.

Well, the reviewer certainly sounded sober .

He talks about his experience with the Chord Dave approx 3mins in.

Nov 22, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #387 of 468
Well, the reviewer certainly sounded sober .

He talks about his experience with the Chord Dave approx 3mins in.

Yeah, nah... he seems to make quite a few claims without explaining the mechanics of how something like that might work.
I don’t buy his claim that lesser DACs don’t reproduce all the sounds and the Mojo does.
I smell pseudo technical rubbish. And even if it was true, how perceptible would the difference be?
Anyone here who know more about the technical side of things can confirm or debunk this?

Nov 22, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #388 of 468
Reviewers get free equipment and money from the manufacturers. If their reviews aren’t consistently glowing, the gravy train gets turned off. I trust verified measurements from independent sources, and I don’t listen to advertorial.

Nov 22, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #389 of 468
Reviewers get free equipment and money from the manufacturers. If their reviews aren’t consistently glowing, the gravy train gets turned off. I trust verified measurements from independent sources, and I don’t listen to advertorial.
But... but... but this amp gives a richer, more musical soundstage that keeps good pace with the beat and transcendental micro quantum sound waves!!!

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #390 of 468
But... but... but this amp gives a richer, more musical soundstage that keeps good pace with the beat and transcendental micro quantum sound waves!!!
Well, I believe you may be thinking of the old Hugo. Hugo 2 is much improved since the Lost days... you do need to take that into account.
5871274.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back