Roast Beef is the guy who sucks
Feb 2, 2007 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
i don't think i've ever seen depression summed up so perfectly:

depressed.gif

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflesomd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your not a member of SA are you?

some of the sa goons are very talented cartoonists.

like shmorky!
SMURDS MEEB THE SNORTS
smurf.png

peter ar you crying peter
peter09.gif

/i freakin worship that guy

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 59
Maybe I'm just really dense but can someone explain the depression comic?

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I'm just really dense but can someone explain the depression comic?

sure. achewood can be pretty abstract.

roast beef is a cat who suffers from severe depression. phillipe (the 5 year old otter in the first part) doesn't understand, so teodor tries an analogy: being depressed make EVERYTHING hard, even something as simple as going to the store.

next we see roast beef trying to go to the store. he sees the sign and to his depressed mind it looks shabby, hopeless, worthless, like roast beef is feeling. so he leaves, and his friends who saw him feel depressed just for being around him.

here's another where beef is so depressed he ca't bite through toast, and his girlfriend molly (whom he met in heaven and brought back--she's a 17th century welsh ship's cat who died as sea) has to help him:
beefdep.gif

nobody i personally know gets achewood, but i think chris onstad is a genius.

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 59
I am glad it was not just me that didn't get it. It reminded me of reading Pynchon.

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am glad it was not just me that didn't get it. It reminded me of reading Pynchon.

like i said, i've never met someone else who got achewood irl, or here for that matter.

sometimes it is so funny i tear up. i think my favorite character is "nice pete". he is a very scary serial killer dog who thinks he is a writer. he wrote a book called "a wonderful tale" and tried to entice publishers by throwing a party in the woods:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nice pete
Saturday, November 19, 2005

My Halloween book launch party.
I had prepared well for this party. The theme was good: I would hold it in the woods, where the book itself was set. I sent handwritten postcards to every publisher for miles around. Also to magazine writers. Even some in New York City, on a lark. On a hope.

I organized a clearing in the woods, and ringed the clearing with candles and different computer printouts of huge 8.5" tall, 11" wide words such as "A HIT," and "TOP SELLER." I placed two plates of cubed cheese approximately 20' apart, one white, one yellow. The flavor of cheese was Sargento. Italian cheese is in such demand these days. The bottles of cold wine were kept in an ice bath.

As it was Halloween I dressed in a costume of Dracula. This costume is pleasing to me. I enjoy the chance to slick my hair down, just as papa had done in his wedding photo those many years ago.

As the hour of the start of the party drew near, I began to worry slightly. Was 2am not a good time for publishers? I understand they usually get up early to read the trade papers, but I thought my party would be a good reason for them to change their routine. I was taking a chance. I hoped they would, too.

By 2:50 no publishers had come to my party. I was full of doubts, even though it is of a fashion to be late. Then, a shuffle of feet. Teen-agers entered the clearing, dressed in black capes. They said they were surprised to see me, and could they sample of the wine and cheeses. I was hostly and said of course, and let them get comfortable. Then one by one I made discussion with them about books, to see if any were in publishing families.

Slowly it became clear that they were not any of them to do with publishing, and I grew angry. This party was a farce, and no one had come for the right reason. I would have Taken several of them if I had not been mindful of a publisher showing up late, only to find me Taking a guest. Instead, I politely told them to leave. It is hard to get flies off of honey, however, and they did not immediately want to go, but when I showed them my erect penis they scattered to the four winds.

What is left to do is follow-up. I have made a plan to visit many of the publishers to whom I had sent an invitation. I will go a-calling.

# posted by Peter H. Cropes @ 4:21 AM

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 59
Ah thanks for the explanation. I got the first one up until the part at the end (didn't realize those were his friends).

The second one is a lot harder to understand
blink.gif

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
“I am glad it was not just me that didn't get it.”

Ditto.

So does this cheer up depressed people?

Mitch

you mean is the comic made for depressed people? i don't think so. on the site there are thousands of achewood comics, about eerything you could think of.

ok, i'll stop pushing achewood on you all, and let you get back to your calvins and hobbes and garfield.

Feb 3, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, i'll stop pushing achewood on you all, and let you get back to your calvins and hobbes and garfield.

ZING!!

Feb 3, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #15 of 59
Now that you explained it I'm intrigued by it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back