22-Channel 192 kHz multi-format mobile USB audio interface
10 Input / 12 Output channels
2 x analog I/O with mic pres, line and mic level, balanced or unbalanced
1 channel alternatively usable as Hi-Z input
1 x ADAT I/O or 1 x SPDIF I/O optical
1 x Phones Out (separate DA conversion)
1 x MIDI I/O with 32 channels
Bus-powered operation possible
TotalMix FX (High-End DSP mixer with effects)

Here's the PDF:
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/sheets/babyface_e.pdf

Some movies:

YouTube - [MUSIK MESSE 2010] - RME - Babyface
YouTube - RME Babyface - Musikmesse 2010

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 24
Looks sweet, a bit on the pricy side. Would be cool to have a listen.
The driver looks great also, looks like it has alot of functionality for music production.

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 24
And since it's so close in price to the Fireface UC, I think the price will come down at retail. It's not an Apple / Apogee.

Anyway, it's comparable to the Duet only in appearance, it has digital IO, effects, it's multichannel, will work with any operating system.

They say it has reference level sound quality - I read it like this: it doesn't suck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by eugenius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And since it's so close in price to the Fireface UC, I think the price will come down at retail. It's not an Apple / Apogee.

Anyway, it's comparable to the Duet only in appearance, it has digital IO, effects, it's multichannel, will work with any operating system.

They say it has reference level sound quality - I read it like this: it doesn't suck.
smily_headphones1.gif

bigsmile_face.gif
Looks good, hopefully sounds good

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 24
Dammit, I want something like this with balanced I/O. I've not seen RME gear discounted ever so I wouldn't hold much hope on one appearing with a good price.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 24
Design is familiar at least 
biggrin.gif

Little drawback with plastic housing, you know glossy BS, but they managed to come to their senses and made new aluminium case, it will be out in November.

Its kind of funny how some brands dont like money 
rolleyes.gif
and how they have left rme to take their share in the market 'cause they want to be apple exclusive.

Well done RME

Looking forward to read some impressions on this baby

Oct 24, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #10 of 24
What does it do? It looks nice on your desk and its not apogee
biggrin.gif

As amp, I would not expect miracles but think that DAC section would be highly competitive. For all that want very good DAC with balanced outputs, low latency or need to record something rme might be a great reliable, easy transportable solution.

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 24
RME stuff is highly regarded in proaudio for rock solid drivers and pretty good preamps and conversion.

Myself i'm looking at this coming out soon:

Sound Devices USBPre 2, http://www.sounddevices.com/products/usbpre2.htm

its got the balanced outputs so you guys might want to take a look,.... but it might be a bit much if you're going to record. If you are going to record though,  its got pretty damn good preamps and conversion, lots of classical recordists use their mobile recorders.

and from the few reviews of teh sound devices HX-3 amp on here, the amp  should be pretty good as well.

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #12 of 24
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_babyface.php

It does have balanced outputs. You need to use the supplied breakout cable. See the info in the link above.

As far as I know RME is the only company that has such sophisticated firmware & software plus an arrangement with Microsoft & Apple that allows it to automatically optimises not just itself but also the rest of your system on installation. Also since it has come out post Windows 7 the drivers are specifically written rather than updated from previous versions.

f you can afford one it's a no brainer - and really when you look at what you get and compare it to audiophile grade equivalents (even Audio-gd) it's cheap as chips.

Oct 30, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #14 of 24
indeed. 

its shipping this week so we should be getting some first impressions soon.

head over to gearslutz and taperssection next week, there should be quite a few early adopters who are, more importantly, experienced early adopters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back