RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Nov 5, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #542 of 594
Humm well i didn’t see the option finally.
There’s EQ on or off, dual on or off, and b/t on or off, no load B/T w preset”

There were some changes so this is only available in the newer firmware.

I think I have the latest firmware installed in my unit.

You need to push the button "EQ" on the ADI 2 (not the remote).
This opens the EQ menue. It should be the second entry unless you have old firmware installed.

Originally the ADI 2 DAC FS had a 5 band EQ plus separate Bass and Treble.

The latest firmware gives you the options to add Bass and Treble to the 5 band EQ, so get a 7 band EQ but without seperate Bass and Treble. This is the therorie, I've never tried it myself.

BTW you can download the latest manual from the RME Website. It's 3.1.

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

Hope this helps, the unit has so many options.
:coffee:

Nov 5, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #543 of 594
There were some changes so this is only available in the newer firmware.

I think I have the latest firmware installed in my unit.

You need to push the button "EQ" on the ADI 2 (not the remote).
This opens the EQ menue. It should be the second entry unless you have old firmware installed.

Originally the ADI 2 DAC FS had a 5 band EQ plus separate Bass and Treble.

The latest firmware gives you the options to add Bass and Treble to the 5 band EQ, so get a 7 band EQ but without seperate Bass and Treble. This is the therorie, I've never tried it myself.

BTW you can download the latest manual from the RME Website. It's 3.1.

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

Hope this helps, the unit has so many options.
:coffee:
Thank you ! It clarifies everything yes. It sounds stupid but i will just skip this as I don’t it’s worth the trouble. As it is the EQ is still very clear and user friendly enough for me.
Great dac indeed !

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #544 of 594
At last! The long wait is over...

20221207_130022.jpg

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #546 of 594
At last! The long wait is over...

Good afternoon.

Couple of questions on RME ADI-2/4 Pro:
1) Tell me which dac (AKM or ESS).
2) Is there any difference in the sound with RME ADI-2 Pro.
3) Is there enough power (4.4mm Pentaconn), for Solitaire P-SE.
4) How low/high frequency adjustment works.
5) Does it make sense to overpay (+ 1000 euros).

Thank you!

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #547 of 594
Good afternoon.

Couple of questions on RME ADI-2/4 Pro:
1) Tell me which dac (AKM or ESS).
2) Is there any difference in the sound with RME ADI-2 Pro.
3) Is there enough power (4.4mm Pentaconn), for Solitaire P-SE.
4) How low/high frequency adjustment works.
4) Does it make sense to overpay (+ 1000 euros).

Thank you!
I didn't buy it because it is much better than the original Pro but rather because I wanted to have the latest and greatest of my favorite DAC / amp series.

1 and 2) It has ESS but as RME mentioned before, there's no audible difference betwen the AKM and ESS versions. As the ESS chips allow custom filters, RME implemented the missing AKM filters (they even claim improvements) with the ESS implementation. So no, there's no audible difference.

3) It drives Susvara and DCA Stealth comfortably with excellent bass and detail, so there should be no problem with P-SE.

4) Frankly I don't normally use any EQ with Susvara and Stealth as they have good tuning, so I didn't try yet - but why shouldn't they? I was also very much occupied with work, so didn't spend much time tweaking yet.

5) No, it doesn't. If you don't feel the itch to "upgrade" and don't need the few additional add-on features, you could save yourself 1000€ - or more, if you go with DAC rather than Pro, which I would recommend with P-SE.

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #548 of 594
I didn't buy it because it is much better than the original Pro but rather because I wanted to have the latest and greatest of my favorite DAC / amp series.

1 and 2) It has ESS but as RME mentioned before, there's no audible difference betwen the AKM and ESS versions. As the ESS chips allow custom filters, RME implemented the missing AKM filters (they even claim improvements) with the ESS implementation. So no, there's no audible difference.

3) It drives Susvara and DCA Stealth comfortably with excellent bass and detail, so there should be no problem with P-SE.

4) Frankly I don't normally use any EQ with Susvara and Stealth as they have good tuning, so I didn't try yet - but why shouldn't they? I was also very much occupied with work, so didn't spend much time tweaking yet.

5) No, it doesn't. If you don't feel the itch to "upgrade" and don't need the few additional add-on features, you could save yourself 1000€ - or more, if you go with DAC rather than Pro, which I would recommend with P-SE.
I will try to compare an Adi 2 pro (with balanced headphone output) with a Topping LA90 integrated amplifier while driving a HE60 se v2. I believe the ADI 2 pro may have the power to drive those planar headphones but I believe it is not powerful enough to give them the full potential power they need.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #549 of 594
I've got a decision to make.

ADI-2 DAC with Burson Soloist 3XP Amp
or
ADI PRO 2/4 on its own?

The cost looks about the same either way. Anyone have experience with these?

I am currently have the Burson 3XP but am still in the return window. Im considering getting the ADI-2 to go with it. I love the sound in poweramp mode and prefer using the balanced XLR and 4.4 out for my headphones. Huge soundstage and smooth but articulate. However, preamp mode out on the Burson to my main speakers is not an option when in poweramp mode so I am running my SMSL D300 DAC into my power amp. Also, the Burson does not allow me to listen to vinyl on headphones as it does not do a good job with RCA-in from my turntable (yes, I am using a proper preamp phono stage).

The new ADI Pro 2/4 has balanced 4.4 unlike the ADI-2. Would it sound as good as the ADI-2 and Burson pairing? The ADI Pro 2/4 also appears to also have an analog input for a turntable. Since I already have an RIAA phono stage preamp, I dont think I would need this feature but maybe it will allow me to listen to vinyl on headphones better than the Burson. However, the Pro 2/4 doesn't appear to have RCA inputs for a turntable. Looks like XLR or 1/4' only when looking at photos.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #550 of 594

or
ADI PRO 2/4 on its own?

I am currently have the Burson 3XP but am still in the return window. Im considering getting the ADI-2 to go with it. I love the sound in poweramp mode and prefer using the balanced XLR and 4.4 out for my headphones. Huge soundstage and smooth but articulate. However, preamp mode out on the Burson to my main speakers is not an option when in poweramp mode so I am running my SMSL D300 DAC into my power amp. Also, the Burson does not allow me to listen to vinyl on headphones as it does not do a good job with RCA-in from my turntable (yes, I am using a proper preamp phono stage).

The new ADI Pro 2/4 has balanced 4.4 unlike the ADI-2. Would it sound as good as the ADI-2 and Burson pairing? The ADI Pro 2/4 also appears to also have an analog input for a turntable. Since I already have an RIAA phono stage preamp, I dont think I would need this feature but maybe it will allow me to listen to vinyl on headphones better than the Burson. However, the Pro 2/4 doesn't appear to have RCA inputs for a turntable. Looks like XLR or 1/4' only when looking at photos.

Another option....... ADI-2 DAC with Headamp GS-X MKII

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #551 of 594

or
ADI PRO 2/4 on its own?

For RCA in on the pro you just need 1/4 mono to RCA cables

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #552 of 594

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 0
Jan 6, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #553 of 594
So does the ADC in the pro make for an effective headphone amp when listening to vinyl?
Is it only the latest 2/4 version that allows for this?

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #554 of 594
So does the ADC in the pro make for an effective headphone amp when listening to vinyl?
Is it only the latest 2/4 version that allows for this?
I use my Pro for vinyl on a regular basis. Works perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back