RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Jan 6, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #556 of 594
I use my Pro for vinyl on a regular basis. Works perfectly.
Which Pro version do you have?

Are you running it with a preamp phono stage or directly from MM turntable to the Pro?

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #557 of 594
Which Pro version do you have?

Are you running it with a preamp phono stage or directly from MM turntable to the Pro?
Version: Pro FS R BE (although version does not matter because all pro versions handle AD conversion the same).
Schiit Mani Phono Preamp

Jan 7, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #558 of 594
Version: Pro FS R BE (although version does not matter because all pro versions handle AD conversion the same).
Schiit Mani Phono Preamp
Thanks, I really like my Burson Soloist paired with a ADI-2 DAC. I like ADC options in the Pro version but not sure the ADI-Pro alone would sound as good as my current setup.

I'd love to hear from someone who has compared the Burson 3XP to the ADI-Pro

Jan 7, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #559 of 594
Thanks, I really like my Burson Soloist paired with a ADI-2 DAC. I like ADC options in the Pro version but not sure the ADI-Pro alone would sound as good as my current setup.

I'd love to hear from someone who has compared the Burson 3XP to the ADI-Pro
If ASR is anything to go by the ADI-2 DAC as well Pro build in amp is better than the Burson 3XP in virtually every way except power delivery. The Pro would be a no brainer for me unless you really need the extra juice.

Jan 7, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #560 of 594
If ASR is anything to go by the ADI-2 DAC as well Pro build in amp is better than the Burson 3XP in virtually every way except power delivery. The Pro would be a no brainer for me unless you really need the extra juice.
How is the soundstage and depth of the Pro?

I have a Topping A90D and it is just dry and 2 dimensional. I like my Burson much more.

The Burson is holographic with a lot of depth. It’s smooth yet articulate. Makes my Aryas shine.

That said, I’ve got 15 days left on my return window for the Burson and the ADI-2 dac so I’ll need to decide quickly

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #561 of 594
How is the soundstage and depth of the Pro?

I have a Topping A90D and it is just dry and 2 dimensional. I like my Burson much more.

The Burson is holographic with a lot of depth. It’s smooth yet articulate. Makes my Aryas shine.

That said, I’ve got 15 days left on my return window for the Burson and the ADI-2 dac so I’ll need to decide quickly
I use the Topping A90 on my turntable. Paired with a grado PS2000E it does not sound to dry and the PS2000E is really awesome because it generates holographic sound. I use the adi-2 pro as dac and headphone amp on my digital rig (fiio m17 ).

Jan 8, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #562 of 594
I use the Topping A90 on my turntable. Paired with a grado PS2000E it does not sound to dry and the PS2000E is really awesome because it generates holographic sound. I use the adi-2 pro as dac and headphone amp on my digital rig (fiio m17 ).
Yeah, it’s not dry but when directly compared to the Burson, it is drier and definitely a shallower soundstage.

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #563 of 594
Does the ADI Pro FS BE lack any features of the ADI-2 FS?

I know the IEM jack is missing (I don’t care about that). What about functionality with iOS devices via USB? Or DSP stuff? Any other missing features?

I’ll mainly considering RME for the remote, iOS playback and turntable playback through headphones and loudspeakers. Hoping the headlamp can compare to a A90D. I most look forward to the EQ settings, Loudenss mode, L/R balance, DSP and connection to a powerful preamp and power amp setup in my living room.

Jan 9, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #564 of 594
Does the ADI Pro FS BE lack any features of the ADI-2 FS?

I know the IEM jack is missing (I don’t care about that). What about functionality with iOS devices via USB? Or DSP stuff? Any other missing features?

I’ll mainly considering RME for the remote, iOS playback and turntable playback through headphones and loudspeakers. Hoping the headlamp can compare to a A90D. I most look forward to the EQ settings, Loudenss mode, L/R balance, DSP and connection to a powerful preamp and power amp setup in my living room.
The DSP is limited to sample rate of 96kHz if I am not wrong.
I have not compared the RME Adi 2 pro headamp to the Topping A90 but I am sure it is a very good one (with more options and crossfeed).

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #565 of 594
Is it possible to setup a separate EQ for the XLR out (this goes to my headphone amp) and a different EQ for RCA out to my preamp/speakers?

I’d like to avoid plugging in a line out cable on the front headphone jack to my preamp/speakers.

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #566 of 594
Is it possible to setup a separate EQ for the XLR out (this goes to my headphone amp) and a different EQ for RCA out to my preamp/speakers?

I’d like to avoid plugging in a line out cable on the front headphone jack to my preamp/speakers.
You can save different set ups and eq profiles then give them custom names, it is very easy to switch between them
I don't think you can have different eq active at the same time however

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #567 of 594
You can save different set ups and eq profiles then give them custom names, it is very easy to switch between them
I don't think you can have different eq active at the same time however
Okay, so I could name one EQ “HD600” and another one “Speakers” and then easily switch between them? That is good.

However, is Left/Right balance also saved in the preset? My right ear needs more volume than the left. Of course speakers I want left alone.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #569 of 594
Looks like RME are about to release a new model, the RME ADI-2/4 PRO SE DAC. It has higher headphone output and 4.4 balanced connection. I will be buying asap on release, the only thing that has prevented me from buying the ADI Pro 2FSR is the weird balanced adapter and lower headphones power output.45F8A994-3A06-4308-A760-4408C1BE7B40.jpeg
Output is higher than previous model!

Feb 10, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #570 of 594
Hello all! I have 2 reference DACs in my listening room that also doubles as a test lab for www.euphonicreview.com .

I have for primary listening the iFi IDSD PRO, and for listening and for recording my vinyl in DSD256, the RME ADI-2 PRO FS R Black Edition with the AK4493 DAC.
For a good while I also was using the RME as a measuring device to evaluate other source equipment. That lasted for a good while until cheaper and cheaper products began to exceed the limits of the RME.

I still use the RME for a large number of measurements, such as impulse response and filter profiles, but for the most super sensitive measurements, I have been forced to use the most un-friendly and graceless E1DA Cosmos ADC and APU (Audio Processing Unit).

IMG_7495.jpg

HOWEVER, as graceless as they may be, they do the job very, very, very well. I can now come within just a few percentage points of matching some of the best. But my goodness, that last 5 percent is an expensive investment. Thankfully, it isn't needed for most things. As I continue finishing my review of the 'sister' Topping DACs, the E70 (ess) and E70V (akm), I did some measurements on the wonderful DAC side of the ADI-2 PRO via the E1DA Cosmos. Color me super impressed!

It is already well, well known how good it sounds; no surprise that is measures great as well. Here is some data for you....

Noise Floor/ Signal to Noise -123db (A)

THD (A) -116db

SINAD 114.4db

THD % 0.00016

THD+N % 0.000191

1 KHZ PANEL.png

16 BIT adi-2 pro jitter final.png

24 BIT adi-2 pro jitter final.png

Just an EXCEPTIONAL DAC side of a product that wil probably used most of all as an ADC.

RME is excellent engineering, excellent sound, and jam packed with features for so many possible applications.
If that sounds like something you might like, I give it highest recommendations! Like a 15 out of 10.

Lots and lots of gear move in and out on my head-fi laboratory. I can say with deepest assurance that the RME stays forever. As long as it is working, it is being used here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back