RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Apr 4, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #316 of 595
$75 is not a lot of money, but where is a guarantee that you’ll get new Pro FS model for the same money you paid? And if I’m not mistaken you got it for around $1,500.

That’s the only concern here.

Yes the place I got mine from should have the new version soon. Same price I was told. But is it worth all the hassle !

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #317 of 595
I tried XLR cables, RCA cables, USB cables, DA filters, Roon DSP, ect... Still not quite there. I have the Pro for a while longer and will try some other settings that I haven't yet.

I would try the parametric eq. The user interface on this unit could use some improvement but the eq works really well to add more body. Also play with filters (sharp or NOS, is what I most often use). The RME is tuned neutral by design. The eq, filters along with the bass/treble knobs to add more adjustment really brought the unit to life. Once I tweaked these, the USB cable brought another noticeable improvement in my chain. What usb cable are you using ?

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #318 of 595
I would try the parametric eq. The user interface on this unit could use some improvement but the eq works really well to add more body. Also play with filters (sharp or NOS, is what I most often use). The RME is tuned neutral by design. The eq, filters along with the bass/treble knobs to add more adjustment really brought the unit to life. Once I tweaked these, the USB cable brought another noticeable improvement in my chain. What usb cable are you using ?
I've tried quite a few USB cables Audioquest Forest, Oyaide Neo d+ class S, Yulong CU2, and the no name that came in the ADI-2 DAC box.

Apr 5, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #320 of 595
I've tried quite a few USB cables Audioquest Forest, Oyaide Neo d+ class S, Yulong CU2, and the no name that came in the ADI-2 DAC box.

What cable did you end up with? I like the Oyaide Class S so far a little bit better than the AQ Carbon I have lying around. Little bit warmer and more enveloping, yet the speed remains the same, not sure who takes the cake on that.

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #322 of 595
The class A Oyaide at first listen had more "body" so to speak than class s. I listened closer with my L3 Holo and GS-X mkII and the class s has a cleaner, tighter and more natural presentation with a better noise floor. IMO.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #324 of 595
What cable did you end up with? I like the Oyaide Class S so far a little bit better than the AQ Carbon I have lying around. Little bit warmer and more enveloping, yet the speed remains the same, not sure who takes the cake on that.
OK I found, IMO, the best USB cable for the ADI-2 thus far in my time with the ADI-2. I purchased the Mechcables Miami Dolch USB cable from Massdrop a few months ago to try and received it today. Not a bad pairing at all. Still a bit flat but I'm playing with EQ and filters to see if I can get to where I want to be. FYI, I returned the DAC and kept the Pro.

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #325 of 595
Finally got my Focal Clear upgrade cables + RME adapter, Dyson Audio really delivers! 24AWG, teflon insulated, litz braided, UPOCC cable with Neutrik plugs for both cables, all this for under $150. A no-brainer imo especially since what cable makers nowadays seem to reckon up for their fancy looking upgrade cables.

6ACE45D2-6CBE-404C-B4F4-8EFBE0195568.jpeg
6dtw4

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #326 of 595
Little dilemma here, recently acquired a Violectric V281 wanted to couple it with some XLR's to the excellent DAC of the ADI-2 Pro, but at 0.0dB it is very close to distortion, and with EQ on it does indeed distort in bass heavy tracks, most likely because of a input overload on the V281. A guy said to me that the ADI-2 Pro because it has a fully digital volume control it doesn't matter how loud it is configured as there's no signal degradation (avoids noise and distortion as well) is this true?

I had this little theory of setting up the ADI-2 Pro with an preferred approximate max volume, and then turn the potentiometer on the V281 somewhere between 12 o'clock and 3'clock as normal listening level which minimizes signal degradation on the V281. (pre-gain depending on impedance headphone)

What is your take on this guys?

Cheers!

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #327 of 595

Set RME's volume to whatever works fine with your amp. I have mine on -15db (auto Ref Level ON ) when I use my external amplifier.

May 11, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #328 of 595
Little dilemma here, recently acquired a Violectric V281 wanted to couple it with some XLR's to the excellent DAC of the ADI-2 Pro, but at 0.0dB it is very close to distortion, and with EQ on it does indeed distort in bass heavy tracks, most likely because of a input overload on the V281. A guy said to me that the ADI-2 Pro because it has a fully digital volume control it doesn't matter how loud it is configured as there's no signal degradation (avoids noise and distortion as well) is this true?

I had this little theory of setting up the ADI-2 Pro with an preferred approximate max volume, and then turn the potentiometer on the V281 somewhere between 12 o'clock and 3'clock as normal listening level which minimizes signal degradation on the V281. (pre-gain depending on impedance headphone)

Cheers!

Hi NickedWicked,

I will be interested in comparisons of the RME --> integrated amp vs RME --> V281.

Re. my experience of using the RME ADI 2 PRo --> iFi iCAN Pro combination,
keeping in mind that I listen at low level:
I tried many different levels settings, starting from [ RME at 0dB --> iCAN very low ] and turning down the volume of the RME and up the volume of the iCAN --> [RME very low --> iCAN high]
this mainly with the Utopia, Clear, K872, LCD-X, XC.
I could not hear a difference between these settings.
What I unfortunately always experienced, whatever these settings,
is that, compared to the RME integrated amp, the iFi degrades the signal:
- OK it sounds warmer, but with
- a very noticeably increased SNR (I cannot listen at very low level especially with iCAN--> Audeze, while I can do it with the RME integrated amp. With the Focals and clean records , I can perceive a background noise floor with iFI while I can't hear any noise floor the RME)
- quite decreased level of detail
- decreased level of dynamics
- decreased quality of drum attacks in metal music.
With the headphones I own and for my low listening levels, I don't need to connect an amp to the RME.
(But I would have to, would I need to drive the Susvaras.)
I think that the both the RME DAC and integrated amp have a super SQ and if you listen at low level like me additional amp results in degradation compared to the integrated amp..
( But an external amp may needed for those who like tube sound?, but I am not sure it would be good to use a device like the RME with such a clean output to connect it to tubes?)

For me the upgrade over the RME I have been interested in is.. the Chord Dave (since the time I heard Dave --> Utopia).
However the Dave is very expensive and too unpractical (I put my devices on my computer desk and already have four devices stacked, starting with a full size AV amp for 5.1 speakers, so I have no space for a device like the DAVE which cannot be arranged together with other devices),
so I am waiting and hoping for a Chord Hugo TT 2 which would have the SQ of the Dave and which I could stack.
(there may be some hope as Chord increased the SQ from the Hugo 1 to the Hugo 2 at about the same level as the SQ of the Hugo TT 1)

Enjoy your V281 and have a nice weekend,
bidn

May 13, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #329 of 595
Hi NickedWicked,

I will be interested in comparisons of the RME --> integrated amp vs RME --> V281.

Re. my experience of using the RME ADI 2 PRo --> iFi iCAN Pro combination,
keeping in mind that I listen at low level:
I tried many different levels settings, starting from [ RME at 0dB --> iCAN very low ] and turning down the volume of the RME and up the volume of the iCAN --> [RME very low --> iCAN high]
this mainly with the Utopia, Clear, K872, LCD-X, XC.
I could not hear a difference between these settings.
What I unfortunately always experienced, whatever these settings,
is that, compared to the RME integrated amp, the iFi degrades the signal:
- OK it sounds warmer, but with
- a very noticeably increased SNR (I cannot listen at very low level especially with iCAN--> Audeze, while I can do it with the RME integrated amp. With the Focals and clean records , I can perceive a background noise floor with iFI while I can't hear any noise floor the RME)
- quite decreased level of detail
- decreased level of dynamics
- decreased quality of drum attacks in metal music.
With the headphones I own and for my low listening levels, I don't need to connect an amp to the RME.
(But I would have to, would I need to drive the Susvaras.)
I think that the both the RME DAC and integrated amp have a super SQ and if you listen at low level like me additional amp results in degradation compared to the integrated amp..
( But an external amp may needed for those who like tube sound?, but I am not sure it would be good to use a device like the RME with such a clean output to connect it to tubes?)

For me the upgrade over the RME I have been interested in is.. the Chord Dave (since the time I heard Dave --> Utopia).
However the Dave is very expensive and too unpractical (I put my devices on my computer desk and already have four devices stacked, starting with a full size AV amp for 5.1 speakers, so I have no space for a device like the DAVE which cannot be arranged together with other devices),
so I am waiting and hoping for a Chord Hugo TT 2 which would have the SQ of the Dave and which I could stack.
(there may be some hope as Chord increased the SQ from the Hugo 1 to the Hugo 2 at about the same level as the SQ of the Hugo TT 1)

Enjoy your V281 and have a nice weekend,
bidn

So far I’ve been listening closely for a few days and I have to say differences are not that big, I will compare the ADI-2 balanced mode to the balanced connection on the V281 with a Focal Clear. So far these are the differences I noticed:

- V281 has more bite thus a little more exciting
- V281 extends a bit further in depth and width in terms of soundstage
- V281 has a slightly more correct timbre
- V281 resolves textures a bit better
- Both headamps have extremely good bass control and control in general but V281 definitely takes the cake, almost liquid bass, very interesting sound!
- Obviously power differences, V281 can power anything whatsoever with full control with the exception of electrostatics
- Surprisingly, detail retrieval is not all that different, very similar but the headamp on the ADI-2 is a bit of a softie so it’s not always very well defined while the V281 stands tall with authority and plenty of strength while still being able to uncover certain nuances in a song with ease by being very tender, it really is a grand master of control!

In terms of signature they are two peas in a pod, basically the same (slightly warm-ish) neutral, but not for everyone as they are sometimes regarded as “too good” as in too damn clean, which makes them excellent for in a studio.

All in all, unless you get a great deal on a V281, I think the ADI-2 headamp will be fine IMO, I heard some reviewers say it’s a 400-500-ish headamp but I disagree, it’s close to the V281 which is still a top choice under 5K, my opinion still stands on the head-amp which is that it definitely performs above the 1k range.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #330 of 595
OK I found, IMO, the best USB cable for the ADI-2 thus far in my time with the ADI-2. I purchased the Mechcables Miami Dolch USB cable from Massdrop a few months ago to try and received it today. Not a bad pairing at all. Still a bit flat but I'm playing with EQ and filters to see if I can get to where I want to be. FYI, I returned the DAC and kept the Pro.
Why did you keep the PRO and return the DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back