RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #301 of 595
The Z1R's are absolutely off the chart in terms of comfort. Absolutely like pillows on your ears

Mar 30, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #303 of 595
I have the ADI-2 Pro paired with the ModWright LS-100. WOW :grinning: this is the perfect pairing for me. Between the the headphone out on the ADI-2 and the tube headphone out on the LS-100 you get a killer setup that will give some awesome listening options. Enjoying the pairing quite a bit. The LCD-3 really comes alive on the LS-100s tube headphone out with the RME as the DAC. Nice texture, ambiance, and sound stage, with the ADI-2 bringing the detail. :thumbsup:

Mar 31, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #304 of 595
And i assume its not grey market ? I'm very tempted to order as its the best price I've seen on it. Thanks again.
Talked with RME USA and they said that it is a USA authorized product. So I think you are safe to purchase from SSE. They also said that even if RME products are purchased from a different channel RME will honor the warranty as long as the product is a real RME product. The caveat is that if the product was meant to be sold in a different market you will have to deal with RME's authorized service center is that region.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #305 of 595
Thanks for checking. Much appreciated !

Apr 4, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #306 of 595
Apparently RME did a (silent) hardware revision on the ADI-2 Pro, with the better Steadyclock of the DAC version.

To quote MC in the RME forum:

"It should be no surprise and highly logical that with the ADI-2 DAC featuring SteadyClock FS we had to update our flagship converter, ADI-2 Pro, to have it as well. This required a modified PCB. Existing units can not be upgraded.

As we had to work on the PCB anyway we also added the AutoDark mode of the DAC, with one 'Pro' difference: the StandBy button stays lit when knobs, buttons and display are off."

https://m.thomann.de/gb/rme_adi_2_pro_fs.htm?ref=msg_a_2

Now I feel tempted to bring back the "old" ADI-2 Pro while I still can (60 days money back)

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #307 of 595
I raised this with RME on their forum and asked for all the changes - it looks like it’s a very slight upgrade (or change):

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26942

I don’t care about AutoDark mode and many have reported (RME’s Matthias included) that SteadyClock FS doesn’t bring anything and is more like a marketing gimmick for audiophile audience.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #308 of 595
So I just got a ADI-2 Pro. Still within the return window but will require me to pay mailing charges to return unit and pay for vendor shipping. $75 in all. Wondering if its worth the hassle to swap for the new model. I dont care about the dark mode. SteadyClock - I'm not sure its going to translate into a tangible difference in what I hear. Thoughts ?

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #309 of 595
So I just got a ADI-2 Pro. Still within the return window but will require me to pay mailing charges to return unit and pay for vendor shipping. $75 in all. Wondering if its worth the hassle to swap for the new model. I dont care about the dark mode. SteadyClock - I'm not sure its going to translate into a tangible difference in what I hear. Thoughts ?
I have both ADI-2 models right now. I think the Pro version sounds better. I'm returning both by the way. Not my cup of tea.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #310 of 595
Did you run balanced headphone out with the pro ? They released an updated version of the Pro with steadyclock FS and lightsoff. No remote which for the price of the Pro should be included.

I really like the sound the RME ADI-2 puts out. Pretty sure you tried the eq and filter settings before you decided its not for you ? And gave it a bit of burn in ?

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #312 of 595
Ouch, care to eleborate why they are both getting returned, gear not playing nicely along?
Honestly my Oppo Sonica Sounds better. The music is more involving, there's more sheen in the highs, and the music has more body. It's almost like the audio sounds a bit flat when the ADI-2 is in my chain.

Here is my audio chain... PC - > Roon client -> SGC SonicTransporter i5 -> Raspberry Pi Roon Endpoint running RoPieee -> DAC (Oppo Sonica or ADI-2 Pro or DAC) -> ModWright LS-100 -> LS-100 Headphone out -> Many Headphones (LCD-3, LCD-2, Massdrop TH-00X EB, Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open, Philips Fidelio X2HR, Ect.) or -> Firstwatt J2 -> Zu Audio Omen 2 Speakers.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #313 of 595

$75 is not a lot of money, but where is a guarantee that you’ll get new Pro FS model for the same money you paid? And if I’m not mistaken you got it for around $1,500.

That’s the only concern here.

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #314 of 595
Honestly my Oppo Sonica Sounds better. The music is more involving, there's more sheen in the highs, and the music has more body. It's almost like the audio sounds a bit flat when the ADI-2 is in my chain.

Here is my audio chain... PC - > Roon client -> SGC SonicTransporter i5 -> Raspberry Pi Roon Endpoint running RoPieee -> DAC (Oppo Sonica or ADI-2 Pro or DAC) -> ModWright LS-100 -> LS-100 Headphone out -> Many Headphones (LCD-3, LCD-2, Massdrop TH-00X EB, Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open, Philips Fidelio X2HR, Ect.) or -> Firstwatt J2 -> Zu Audio Omen 2 Speakers.

Did you try livening up it a bit? EQ'ing and loudness work wonders!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back