RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Mar 27, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #271 of 594
Hello all. I'm just delving into the RME DAC world. Has anyone compared the new ADI-2 DAC model to the Pro? I'm trying to decide which one to get. I'm thinking about getting both and comparing. But if someone had already done the work.....

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #272 of 594
Hello all. I'm just delving into the RME DAC world. Has anyone compared the new ADI-2 DAC model to the Pro? I'm trying to decide which one to get. I'm thinking about getting both and comparing. But if someone had already done the work.....
I think it boils down to what you need , for balanced and multiple digital in and out go pro otherwise go dac

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #274 of 594
Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is any sonic benefit between the two?
I ran the pro in se mode for a week while I put together the parts for an adapter . As I understand it in se mode the pro and dac amps are the same . Really the difference in sq switching to balanced is very small but still significant clarity and detail lift with most headphones . Balanced also provides substantially more power so if you have hungry cans go that way . Over all if I was not using the digital interface features I probably would have gone with the dac I don't think the se vs balanced is worth the extra cost alone

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #275 of 594
I ran the pro in se mode for a week while I put together the parts for an adapter . As I understand it in se mode the pro and dac amps are the same . Really the difference in sq switching to balanced is very small but still significant clarity and detail lift with most headphones . Balanced also provides substantially more power so if you have hungry cans go that way . Over all if I was not using the digital interface features I probably would have gone with the dac I don't think the se vs balanced is worth the extra cost alone
I can pickup the Pro for $1450 new. I really like the option for a balanced headphone connection. I'll probably not use the ADC functions so that is overkill for my uses. Hmmmm

I think I'll pickup both and compare. I'll return the one that I like less.

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #276 of 594
I can pickup the Pro for $1450 new. I really like the option for a balanced headphone connection. I'll probably not use the ADC functions so that is overkill for my uses. Hmmmm

I think I'll pickup both and compare. I'll return the one that I like less.
If you can compare both that's great . In Australia the price difference is much larger at , 1450 I would go for that unless the dac is 750 or something

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #277 of 594
If you can compare both that's great . In Australia the price difference is much larger at , 1450 I would go for that unless the dac is 750 or something
No the DAC version is $995. So it's a small difference. I have both on the way. We'll see what I think. The only thing I can see that looks interesting with the DAC version is the updated steady clock and the remote. Other than that the Pro looks like the winner at first glance.

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #278 of 594
And iem jack in the dac. And black vs silver (unless you pay more for the anniversary ed). I think the units sound the same unless you need the features of the pro.

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #279 of 594
No the DAC version is $995. So it's a small difference. I have both on the way. We'll see what I think. The only thing I can see that looks interesting with the DAC version is the updated steady clock and the remote. Other than that the Pro looks like the winner at first glance.
Be very interested in how much difference the clock upgrade has made . A remote is very tempting , do you know if it can set all the features . Twiddling the knobs for eq settings is a pain .

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #281 of 594
I received the Pro today. I'm very impressed. The sound signature is not what I expected. Very smooth and warmish. The detail is unreal. I have to get a pair of headphones that does it justice now. What headphone are everyone using? I'm not a big fan of the HD800. I have LCD-2s and 3s and a pair of Aeons. The Aeons sound best with the onboard amp.

The other pro kit I've tried in the past was so bright I wanted to dig my eyes out. The RME is so different. Very enjoyable to listen to for hours. I listened all day at work.

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #282 of 594
I received the Pro today. I'm very impressed. The sound signature is not what I expected. Very smooth and warmish. The detail is unreal. I have to get a pair of headphones that does it justice now. What headphone are everyone using? I'm not a big fan of the HD800. I have LCD-2s and 3s and a pair of Aeons. The Aeons sound best with the onboard amp.

The other pro kit I've tried in the past was so bright I wanted to dig my eyes out. The RME is so different. Very enjoyable to listen to for hours. I listened all day at work.

Hi jerick70,

Great you are enjoying the RME PRO very much!

Its output is very clean ( re. SNR), dynamic , fast, detailled so that I think that Focal TOTL headphones, ( Clear, Elear, Utopia) may get the most out of it, to take advantage of these possibilities of the RME.

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #283 of 594
Anyone care to share their experience with the balanced output of the ADI-2 Pro? My cables + adapter are still on their way, not expecting much, maybe a bit more slam and effortlessness and slightly expanded soundstage?

Mar 29, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #284 of 594

I use HD800 and Fostex TH900 with my adi-2 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back