RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 3, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #4,713 of 6,006
@Slaphead :
The term Quality is directly from the RME User manual .
But you're right, Q factor is the better term ,
because it is used on many EQs.
Yeah I know, and it's not RME's fault - they've given it it's accepted name. My gripe is that it's a misleading name - somebody not used to PEQ might see "Quality" and then push it to the max, "'cause it's better quality, innit?", and doing that is not going to accomplish what they're trying to do.

That said there are some pro audio outfits do not use the word "quality" when describing Q, rather they describe it as the bell shape for the EQ curve - admittedly still not friendly for a beginner, but better than "quality"

Q is probably the most powerful aspect of PEQ, allowing you to apply an overall effect on a wide frequency range, right down to being able to selectively boost or attenuate a very narrow frequency region - often referred to as a "Notch filter". I think it's important that people getting into EQ understand that Q doesn't actually mean quality of sound, it means range of frequencies affected from the central point of the applied EQ.

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #4,714 of 6,006
Yes, but it's not realy important because nothing can happen :relaxed:

The graphic shows what changes and changes

soundwise you can hear it if you set what's wrong at the EQ .

And if you set the Q to full 50, ( at my EQ of DMG Audio only to Example )

you just change a very narrow

range around the set frequency ,…can't break anything.

It is necessary to deal with the EQ for a long time

to understand certain contexts .

When you try and compare you always get better over the time ,

to get to the sound you like :relieved:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #4,715 of 6,006
This isn't really specific to the RME, but it's maybe something more people here might have experience with. I am experiencing what I think is a lot of USB jitter with the RME (and other DACs).

I'm trying to see if it's related to running parallels too.
I'm calling it jitter, but basically audio skips as if the CD is dirty :). It's not specific to any music player.

Last thing I should add is this is on an Apple M1 Pro. I can't consistently produce it. I'm going to try and leave parallels off and see if it stops happening.

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #4,717 of 6,006
I just found an interesting Reddit thread about optimal EQ settings for the ADI depending on the headphone (even dependent on what pads used). A user..."oratory1990"...uses some sort of optimizer based on a "Harman target". I'm not going to pretend I know one iota about what that is or how they even optimize, but I was intrigued.

Below are the settings for the Meze Empyrean. Like the optimizing, I'm also nowhere near an expert with the RME...I'm wondering how I apply this to the PEQ. Some parts seem obvious, for example, Band 1: Set "F" to 60; "G" to -3.5; "Q" to 0.5. But what, and where, is "BW"? Also, for Band 2 the RME "F" only goes in increments of 10, so I chose 210. Band 3: 1.90k, etc.

Also, for the Low and High Shelf's, those are the bass and treble knob adjs. Gain is easy enough, but is there a way to adjust the Q and BW on those?

1641352536113.png

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #4,718 of 6,006
I just found an interesting Reddit thread about optimal EQ settings for the ADI depending on the headphone (even dependent on what pads used). A user..."oratory1990"...uses some sort of optimizer based on a "Harman target". I'm not going to pretend I know one iota about what that is or how they even optimize, but I was intrigued.

Below are the settings for the Meze Empyrean. Like the optimizing, I'm also nowhere near an expert with the RME...I'm wondering how I apply this to the PEQ. Some parts seem obvious, for example, Band 1: Set "F" to 60; "G" to -3.5; "Q" to 0.5. But what, and where, is "BW"? Also, for Band 2 the RME "F" only goes in increments of 10, so I chose 210. Band 3: 1.90k, etc.

Also, for the Low and High Shelf's, those are the bass and treble know adjs. Gain is easy enough, but is there a way to adjust the Q and BW on those?

1641352536113.png

By comparison, here is the one for the Focal Utopia's, which I'll do as a preset as well.

1641353192206.png

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #4,721 of 6,006
As I mentioned...I'm very much still learning the RME, apologies. Simply going back a few threads I found how to access the B/T menu and their adjustments.

I also see there's a Parametric EQ section in the I/O menu...is that different than the graphical interface by clicking the EQ?

Still curious about BW....

Jan 5, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #4,722 of 6,006
Jan 5, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #4,723 of 6,006
As I mentioned...I'm very much still learning the RME, apologies. Simply going back a few threads I found how to access the B/T menu and their adjustments.

I also see there's a Parametric EQ section in the I/O menu...is that different than the graphical interface by clicking the EQ?

Still curious about BW....
The value BW can be calculated from the value Q and vice versa Q from the value BW .
There are EQs since you can enter the BW value .
But in the RME EQ, the value Q is used,
that's why you don't need the BW value in this case .
( BW = Bandwidth )

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #4,724 of 6,006
I find those to be the real deal - tried the settings for both the Empyrean's and Utopia's and was blown away by the sound.

I'll also say that I love the RME but didn't (probably still don't) know how to take advantage of it's capability, first and foremost the parametic EQ, which I know nothing about. I thought I liked a certain type of EQ sound, usually done via whatever player I was using and very elementary (simple U-shape, for example). The more I would tinker with each individual setting I would find that while it may have solved the issue I was using the slider for (more bass or less treble, for example), it would degrade the sum of the parts....which would cause further tinkering....which would lead to freq's being all over the place and an incredibly unnatural, odd sound. The problem was I don't like a pure flat sound...ie just turning off all EQ altogether. The settings from that site make everything come together, in my opinion. Nothing overshadows something else....everything sounds natural. A monumental game-changer for me personally.

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #4,725 of 6,006
I find those to be the real deal - tried the settings for both the Empyrean's and Utopia's and was blown away by the sound.

I'll also say that I love the RME but didn't (probably still don't) know how to take advantage of it's capability, first and foremost the parametic EQ, which I know nothing about. I thought I liked a certain type of EQ sound, usually done via whatever player I was using and very elementary (simple U-shape, for example). The more I would tinker with each individual setting I would find that while it may have solved the issue I was using the slider for (more bass or less treble, for example), it would degrade the sum of the parts....which would cause further tinkering....which would lead to freq's being all over the place and an incredibly unnatural, odd sound. The problem was I don't like a pure flat sound...ie just turning off all EQ altogether. The settings from that site make everything come together, in my opinion. Nothing overshadows something else....everything sounds natural. A monumental game-changer for me personally.
Agreed and I'm in the same situation. While I've read the manual numerous times and fully understand all the screens and options, I would love to learn more about EQ, beyond what simply sounds good to my ears. I'll usually use in a simplistic fashion and raise bass, keep midrange flat, and raise highs. This typically looks like "wide-U" shape. Sounds good to me, so I suppose at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back