RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 1, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #4,696 of 6,005
How do you mean? You got a better set-up for the HE6SE?
Yes sir. The Master 19 will drive the HE6SE to play loud, but it will not drive them to peak performance in other areas. I have a DIY setup of my own. A Denfrips Ares II, old-school r2r step ladder DAC. A Vintage Monster receiver from the 1970 Stereo wars. It's a 65 pound, dual mono power supply Transformer Amp from Sanyo (JCX 2900K), which comes in at 140 watts per channel x 2, 8Ω. I call it my Giant Japanese Kaiju. My wife calls it a dinosaur. I run the Hifiman HE adapter right to the speaker taps. This is the best I've heard, period.
C7DE5916-1053-4DAB-AD12-D48097D31B2D.jpeg

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #4,697 of 6,005
Yes sir. The Master 19 will drive the HE6SE to play loud, but it will not drive them to peak performance in other areas. I have a DIY setup of my own. A Denfrips Ares II, old-school r2r step ladder DAC. A Vintage Monster receiver from the 1970 Stereo wars. It's a 65 pound, dual mono power supply Transformer Amp from Sanyo (JCX 2900K), which comes in at 140 watts per channel x 2, 8Ω. I call it my Giant Japanese Kaiju. My wife calls it a dinosaur. I run the Hifiman HE adapter right to the speaker taps. This is the best I've heard, period.
Not enough power. You need a fully working nuclear power plant to drive those :frowning2:

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #4,698 of 6,005
Not enough power. You need a fully working nuclear power plant to drive those :frowning2:
Pretty much! And let me tell you, I have the Monster receiver plugged into a Furman power conditioner. And early in the morning when I power it on, I notice the light flickers in my office, and on the front of the power conditioner, if I was receiving 115 volts, it drops to 114 volts just from powering her up.

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #4,699 of 6,005
Question for some of the RME experts. When adding treble by way of the treble knob, which frequency is being increased? Is there a way to tell? For instance, on my Vintage receiver, when I increase the treble, I can choose to increase 2.5khz, 5khz, or 10khz. Those are my only 3 choices.

Jan 1, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #4,701 of 6,005
Read the f. manual as they say hehe.

Jan 2, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #4,709 of 6,005
It’s all Greek to me. :)

Really ? 😀
Here in English :
Bass Gain

Current Bass amplification for the current channels as set by encoder 1 (B). Adjustable between -6 dB and +6 dB in steps of 0.5 dB.

Bass Freq

Corner frequency of the shelf bass filter. Adjustable from 20 Hz to 150 Hz in steps of 1 Hz. De- fault: 85 Hz.

Bass Q

The quality factor of the filter is adjustable from 0.5 to 1.5. Default 0.9.

Treble Gain

Current Treble amplification for the current channels as set by encoder 2 (T). Adjustable between -6 dB and +6 dB in steps of 0.5 dB.

Treble Freq

Corner frequency of the shelf treble filter. Adjustable from 3 kHz to 10 kHz in steps of 100 Hz. Default: 6.5 kHz.

Treble Q

The quality factor of the filter is adjustable from 0.5 to 1.5. Default 0.7.

If you have any further uncertainties, you can read this through 😉

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dac_e.pdf

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #4,710 of 6,005
The quality factor of the filter is adjustable from 0.5 to 1.5. Default 0.9.

The quality factor of the filter is adjustable from 0.5 to 1.5. Default 0.7.
First off @NOMOS this is not aimed at you at all, this is about Q and how I dislike why it's named "Quality". I'm just quoting your posts as you give a perfect example of how Q can be misunderstood.

I know Q means "Quality", but it's probably the worst descriptive moniker ever in audio, especially for EQ

Q basically means how wide the boost or reduction will be over the neighbouring frequencies. A small Q will only affect a small number of frequencies on either side of the frequency where the EQ was applied, and a large Q will affect more frequencies on either side.

While it can be argued that the more aggressive the filter is (small Q) the more the sound quality is reduced due to the nature of digital filtering (though these days it's a very small reduction), calling it "Quality" really doesn't help those who are new to EQ in terms of understanding what this setting actually does, especially as EQ is generally badly understood by many an audiophile.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back