RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Aug 10, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #4,366 of 6,021
Well after a bit of a (frustrating) learning curve I'm really digging the EQ ability of the ADI-2 and setting to different presets. The stock sound was decent but I wasn't blown away, to be honest. On the TH900mk2's by bumping up mids and upper mids a tad adds air and vocal presence that were a tad recessed. On the Grado Hemps nudging the lower bass adds oomph - although I can't seem to emulate the Xbass function on the Zen Can or iDSD exactly. This is the USP for the ADI-2 for me. The ability to tweak the sound and directly compare it to previously saved EQs is very useful.

I would love a software option that you could download EQs to the unit from mac/pc.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #4,367 of 6,021
Well after a bit of a (frustrating) learning curve I'm really digging the EQ ability of the ADI-2 and setting to different presets. The stock sound was decent but I wasn't blown away, to be honest. On the TH900mk2's by bumping up mids and upper mids a tad adds air and vocal presence that were a tad recessed. On the Grado Hemps nudging the lower bass adds oomph - although I can't seem to emulate the Xbass function on the Zen Can or iDSD exactly. This is the USP for the ADI-2 for me. The ability to tweak the sound and directly compare it to previously saved EQs is very useful.

I would love a software option that you could download EQs to the unit from mac/pc.

I was able to get closest to bass boost by using loudness in conjunction with a couple db bass shelf. The loudness is most effective when using the RME as a preamp, or using the built in amp. If you are feeding an external amp at or around 0dB, loudness doesn't really do much.

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #4,368 of 6,021
I was able to get closest to bass boost by using loudness in conjunction with a couple db bass shelf. The loudness is most effective when using the RME as a preamp, or using the built in amp. If you are feeding an external amp at or around 0dB, loudness doesn't really do much.
Well I wouldn't expect it to. If the output of the RME is at 0db then there's no headroom left for the loudness function to do it's stuff. If you reduce the ADI's output to -20db, increase the Amp's output by 20db, and then use the loudness function then you'll probably get a result.

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #4,369 of 6,021
Does a new RME ADI 2 FS require a firmware update. That’s very complicated. Was hoping to buy and simply use without firmware update fuss.

anyone use Focal Clear with RME ADI 2 FS?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #4,371 of 6,021
Does a new RME ADI 2 FS require a firmware update. That’s very complicated. Was hoping to buy and simply use without firmware update fuss.

I did since recently, works like charm.
The RME update is just execution a little program and then restarting it.

Aug 19, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #4,373 of 6,021
You have to download the correct software. There are 2. What if u already have the right firmware? How can you tell which version you have? Depends on DAC right - AKM or SABRE?

Complicated
There is only one, the other one is the ASIO driver.
Just take the latest one from the downloads section and you are good to go.
Its supports all 3 variations of the DAC.
Also the software tells you if you have the latest version.

Aug 19, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #4,374 of 6,021

yes, I had it.
add +2,5db 105hz low shelf and -2db 2khz peak, its beautiful.

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #4,379 of 6,021
My impression is this is not a Consumer friendly product as lacks decent support from RME. Almost non existent.
What?? The manual is the best there is, they have instructional videos on YouTube, you have their support answering your e-mail, they have the RME Forums where their news is shared and commented by staff, including the owner Matthias Carstens.... What more do you want?

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #4,380 of 6,021
My impression is this is not a Consumer friendly product as lacks decent support from RME. Almost non existent.

Are you talking about the RME ADI-2 DAC FS? They have one of the lengthiest, most detailed, clearly written manuals. They have loads of videos online (2 versions each split in multiple episodes). They have a dedicated forum where the company answers all questions. You must be talking about another product, sorry for misreading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back