RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jul 6, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #4,323 of 6,005
Then get a sparky in to install a new mains socket.

Besides, what don't you like about an extension cable? It's the obvious solution.
Yeah the electrician would work but might be more expensive than a longer cord. I already have a power bar feeding 2 active speakers and DAC...I would need to have RME cord-->extension cord-->power bar with cord-->outlet if I did the extension cord thing...which would be a bit convoluted. I would rather one cord direct to outlet or one cord direct to existing power bar but not add any more extensions when I really just need a longer cord.

I haven't been able to see a closeup of the RME cord on any YT videos so not sure if part of the RME cord can be unplugged and replaced by a longer version. Never thought I'd have so much trouble investigating a longer cord option but I guess that's what happens when the power supply is outside the unit and a regular IEC connector cord cannot be used.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #4,324 of 6,005
Yeah the electrician would work but might be more expensive than a longer cord. I already have a power bar feeding 2 active speakers and DAC...I would need to have RME cord-->extension cord-->power bar with cord-->outlet if I did the extension cord thing...which would be a bit convoluted. I would rather one cord direct to outlet or one cord direct to existing power bar but not add any more extensions when I really just need a longer cord.

I haven't been able to see a closeup of the RME cord on any YT videos so not sure if part of the RME cord can be unplugged and replaced by a longer version. Never thought I'd have so much trouble investigating a longer cord option but I guess that's what happens when the power supply is outside the unit and a regular IEC connector cord cannot be used.
Cord on my unit has fig 8 type connection like this one
buy-rme-adi-2-dac-kiev.jpg

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #4,325 of 6,005
Type inline power plug into amazon and get a 5 meter one and you are good to go

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #4,327 of 6,005
Jul 8, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #4,328 of 6,005
Well, looks like they have officially ran out of AKM chipsets…

Curious which implementation / iteration ends up being considered “better” (AK4493 vs ES9028Q2M — a mobile chipeset?), despite RME’s claim of “no significant changes”.

The updated ADI-2 DAC uses ESS's ES9028Q2M in a special circuit variant developed by RME engineers that allows the chip to perform at its best. With noise levels of 123 dBA, distortion less than -120 dB, or THD+N of -116 dB, the device delivers outstanding measured values, and allows the IEM output to reach a sensational low noise level of -121 dBu. In addition, there is +2.5 dB of digital headroom, so that high intersample peaks do not produce any audible distortion. The reserve in volume setting results in a still undistorted analog output signal even at a volume setting of +2.5 dB.

There are no significant changes in operation, features and behavior compared to the predecessor, which is why neither appearance nor name have changed. All differences are explained in the detailed manual of the ADI-2 DAC.

Source: https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #4,329 of 6,005
Well, looks like they have officially ran out of AKM chipsets…

Curious which implementation / iteration ends up being considered “better” (AK4493 vs ES9028Q2M — a mobile chipeset?), despite RME’s claim of “no significant changes”.

The updated ADI-2 DAC uses ESS's ES9028Q2M in a special circuit variant developed by RME engineers that allows the chip to perform at its best. With noise levels of 123 dBA, distortion less than -120 dB, or THD+N of -116 dB, the device delivers outstanding measured values, and allows the IEM output to reach a sensational low noise level of -121 dBu. In addition, there is +2.5 dB of digital headroom, so that high intersample peaks do not produce any audible distortion. The reserve in volume setting results in a still undistorted analog output signal even at a volume setting of +2.5 dB.

There are no significant changes in operation, features and behavior compared to the predecessor, which is why neither appearance nor name have changed. All differences are explained in the detailed manual of the ADI-2 DAC.

Source: https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html
Well there was no audible difference between the original version using the AK4490 (which I have) and the second version using the AK4493, the only difference being that there was a new digital filter and that the measurements were very slightly better.

If anything I would expect this new variant to alter the perceived sound the most as ESS DACs tend to be quite forward and a touch aggressive, with the AKM DACs being softer and more laid back - to my ears that is.

That said it all depends on the implementation as the same DAC can sound significantly different between manufacturers and even between models of the same provenance.

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #4,330 of 6,005
Hi guys, this is a long thread, sorry if this has been asked before.

I was thinking to use the RME HDSPe AIO Pro, as DAC/Preamp/Headphone amp instead of the ADI-2, I know the ADI-2 plays higher than 24/192 but to be honest, I don't have any audio higher than that, and if I need it, then I still have my Sound Blaster AE-9.

So back to the question, do you think a RME HDSPe AIO Pro could be used as the ADI-2?

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #4,331 of 6,005
Hi guys, this is a long thread, sorry if this has been asked before.

I was thinking to use the RME HDSPe AIO Pro, as DAC/Preamp/Headphone amp instead of the ADI-2, I know the ADI-2 plays higher than 24/192 but to be honest, I don't have any audio higher than that, and if I need it, then I still have my Sound Blaster AE-9.

So back to the question, do you think a RME HDSPe AIO Pro could be used as the ADI-2?
Well, I guess so, but that really is a product designed to be used in a production environment. Also you'll be pretty much on your own in terms of configuration and getting it to do what you want - it's not really a plug and play product in that it's intended for audio professionals who already know what they need and how to achieve it. You'll also be dealing with a breakout cable which only comes as unbalanced as standard, if you need balanced connections then you'll also need the optional breakout cable. And breakout cables are messy to be honest

That said if your only intention is to use it as a DAC/Preamp/Headphone amp then it'll almost certainly do the job with a bit of fiddling, but I can't help thinking there may be something more appropriate for HiFi listening. The ADI-2 is good, very good, but it's not the only horse in the race.

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #4,332 of 6,005
Well, I guess so, but that really is a product designed to be used in a production environment. Also you'll be pretty much on your own in terms of configuration and getting it to do what you want - it's not really a plug and play product in that it's intended for audio professionals who already know what they need and how to achieve it. You'll also be dealing with a breakout cable which only comes as unbalanced as standard, if you need balanced connections then you'll also need the optional breakout cable. And breakout cables are messy to be honest

That said if your only intention is to use it as a DAC/Preamp/Headphone amp then it'll almost certainly do the job with a bit of fiddling, but I can't help thinking there may be something more appropriate for HiFi listening. The ADI-2 is good, very good, but it's not the only horse in the race.

You are right, (I'm right now at page 47 of this thread), before I asked the question, I didn't know the equalizer and other features that this device has.

I'm still reading this thread but, for equalizer I use JRiver so I don't have that problem right now with my sound blaster AE-9, that card has build in equalizer as well but I only use that JRiver has.

The other reason why I'm thinking of the AIO Pro is that is an internal sound card, so no more USB turn offs and ons (I hate them that "teen too room" sound) so I'm not sure if the ADI gets removed from windows audio device list (very likely to me) when the device is turned off.

As for the breakout cable, for now I just need Balanced ins/outs, my current power amp, and my next (hopefully) power amp (the burson audio funk) don't have balanced inputs so for now I'm fine, I know those cables are not so nice but do the job.

Besides, I also would like to use a good input interface, so the AIO has inputs, the ADI-2 doesn't, the pro has, but costs twice (133% more than the AIO Pro).

I'm not yet decided if getting the ADI-2 or the AIO pro yet, but I need to take into account all pros and cons.

Jul 15, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #4,333 of 6,005
You are right, (I'm right now at page 47 of this thread), before I asked the question, I didn't know the equalizer and other features that this device has.

I'm still reading this thread but, for equalizer I use JRiver so I don't have that problem right now with my sound blaster AE-9, that card has build in equalizer as well but I only use that JRiver has.

The other reason why I'm thinking of the AIO Pro is that is an internal sound card, so no more USB turn offs and ons (I hate them that "teen too room" sound) so I'm not sure if the ADI gets removed from windows audio device list (very likely to me) when the device is turned off.

As for the breakout cable, for now I just need Balanced ins/outs, my current power amp, and my next (hopefully) power amp (the burson audio funk) don't have balanced inputs so for now I'm fine, I know those cables are not so nice but do the job.

Besides, I also would like to use a good input interface, so the AIO has inputs, the ADI-2 doesn't, the pro has, but costs twice (133% more than the AIO Pro).

I'm not yet decided if getting the ADI-2 or the AIO pro yet, but I need to take into account all pros and cons.
To be honest, before I answered your question I simply took a good look at the specs and use case on the RME website. I've not actually used the device, but you have got me interested in it anyway,

I would actually recommend that you take your questions to the RME forum - https://forum.rme-audio.de/ There are far more knowledgeable people there, including the actual engineers who designed the card, that will be able to answer your questions - just be prepared for some German directness in some cases :wink:

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #4,334 of 6,005
Nothing wrong with “German directness” - better than endlessly “beating around the bush” and not getting it done 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back