RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Mar 3, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #2,089 of 5,961
What does polarity do really, it sounds different but I can't point what exactly it does
Polarity inverts phase , swaps the + and - connections to the headphone drivers . So where they previously pushed they now pull or vise versa at a given point in time . Absolute phase is a big subject some say it is vital to ensure correct phase others say it makes no difference . Some recordings are deliberately "out of phase" . I find the effect varies depending on headphones , planar are least effected and dynamic closed backs most . As I recommend with most everything experiment and go with what you like

Mar 3, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #2,090 of 5,961
1. Installed and then uninstalled because operationally better using WASAPI after they fixed the bugs.
2. Vol is -3dB, Ref Level is +13 dBu, Balanced Output is +6dBu
3. I've run through them, but am just evaluating flat since the Aune has no EQ. It's hard to describe but its like standard def vs 4k. With the Aune I can hear things way in the distance all the way up to near. With the RME, everything sounds like it's coming from inside my head. I don't know any EQ that can necessarily change that and those are the ideas I'm looking for.
Following up:
I'm an idiot, figured it out... it was the width! Factory Reset sets it at 0.00 which appears to me Mono... even though there is a Mono setting. Sounding much better now, thanks all!!

Now for some real listening time...
big_smile

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #2,092 of 5,961
What is ref level and what does it do for me?
Reference level comes into play when using an external amplifier . Use auto and it will adjust the dac output level in stages as you increase the volume . The idea is to use the highest level your amp can handle to achieve the best signal to noise ratio . Caution should be exercised since the dac is capable of professional line level output of around 10 volts however most amps are designed around a 1.5 to 2.5 volt line level .
This calculator is useful for converting dbu to voltage

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #2,094 of 5,961
Definitely not! You did not give up, found the real problem, fixed it, and even had the guts to tell us all - I applaud such behaviour!

But when I reset my DAC it returns to Width 1.00, so no idea what changed it to 0 on yours.
I'm wondering about that, I have a few odd settings when I factory reset my DAC. Perhaps we are on difference versions of the firmware? v.33 here I believe the latest.

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #2,096 of 5,961
Love the rme adi-2 dac, however the more I listen with it, it has a slight bright tone to it, with just about any headphone I plug into it, I use the crossfeed and the eq to tame the treble, but you know how it is, you have to barely do it so it didn't distort things up.
Is definitely a keeper as the clarity and resolution is just nuts.
But what is a an amp around 1k$(I don't mind buying used) that xan give me a warm tone, really just looking for treble to be not sharp or peaky, to be tamed down yet still detailed.? I don't care about bass.

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #2,098 of 5,961
Love the rme adi-2 dac, however the more I listen with it, it has a slight bright tone to it, with just about any headphone I plug into it, I use the crossfeed and the eq to tame the treble, but you know how it is, you have to barely do it so it didn't distort things up.
Is definitely a keeper as the clarity and resolution is just nuts.
But what is a an amp around 1k$(I don't mind buying used) that xan give me a warm tone, really just looking for treble to be not sharp or peaky, to be tamed down yet still detailed.? I don't care about bass.

One thought - the RME might be showing up the quality of your music files.

Cables can sometimes act as tone controls. Might be worth exploring that route before parting with 1K.

Mar 7, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #2,100 of 5,961
One thought - the RME might be showing up the quality of your music files.

Cables can sometimes act as tone controls. Might be worth exploring that route before parting with 1K.
Yes I have some bad sharp peaky recordings that I love and cannot find clean files for them, mostly listen to streaming services to discover music before purchasing, so those suck too. Just need an amp that tones the treble down, takes peaky shouty tones out, but looses no detail...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back