Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Mar 31, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #1,786 of 1,873
Hi, just received my Riviera AIC-10. Absolutely magical! Everyone in the forum is spot on...it is next level. Coming from Holo Bliss KTE...

Question please... I have the G73R tube...and read it is the best. Is there another tube you would roll with? I read a Mullard is also on the level of G73? Newbie to the Riviera...appreciate any advice. Thank you!!
Awesome, I also switched from the Holo Bliss KTE to the AIC-10, and in addition to the G73-R, I've picked up a Mullard M8136.

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #1,788 of 1,873
the envy is spectacular and I am far from the only person who feels that way,with updated tubes It is as good as anything I have heard...you dont like it..so be it..I personally would not buy the limited edition model but more power to those who choose to
Yah, plenty of people do love the amp and all the power to them. By all means conti ue to do so, I just don't understand the appeal of it.
Hate is a rather strong word when it comes to an… headphone amp.
The hobby is about making us love music so not sure why hating is off the table 🤷‍♀️

For me, it's pretty simple. If a piece of gear activly makes me dislike listening to music, I say I hate it. And no, tubes did not fix Envy for me. The first time I heard it was with WE. Tbh though, I also don't understand the appeal of most ZMFs either, so it's clearly just not a sound a value since most people i see loving Envy also love their zmf cans.
Hi, just received my Riviera AIC-10. Absolutely magical! Everyone in the forum is spot on...it is next level. Coming from Holo Bliss KTE...

Question please... I have the G73R tube...and read it is the best. Is there another tube you would roll with? I read a Mullard is also on the level of G73? Newbie to the Riviera...appreciate any advice. Thank you!!
Hey! I would also check our french made mazdas and the shark tooth mullard (haven't heard the mullard but everyone I know who has heard one says it's worth a go and they are fairly cheap anyways)

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #1,789 of 1,873

Congrats on finally getting one!
I got recommendations for the Hivac CV491 but that's $$$$
I'd say the M8136 is very different from the G73R and by trying both you'll get a sense of where your preferences lean with the amp. Looking forward to your impressions!

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #1,790 of 1,873

I'd say the M8136 is very different from the G73R and by trying both you'll get a sense of where your preferences lean with the amp.

+1 on the above

I have both of these tubes. I’m personally in the camp that didn’t like the G73R as much with this amp (I did use that wonderful tube with other amps) and, in my specific chain, preferred the Mullard M8136 — I do think these two offer a great contrast and, likely, you will prefer one over the other. The G73R makes the amp sound as close to SS amp as it gets with emphasis on technicalities, while the M8136 overs extra warmth, both and texture. They are both great options to explore.

I’ve also tried the Hungarian Tungsram and French Mazda, as well as Siemens 5814A, which all work great but, for me, the above two options represent the better ones to by taste of either end of the scale.

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #1,791 of 1,873
If you read the first 30 pages or so of this thread there are a ton of tube reviews. @Miller went all over board and tried tens and tens of different tubes and provided valuable reviews. Highly recommended.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #1,793 of 1,873
Thank you everyone for the guidance!!! Are there 2 different kinds of G73 tubes? G73 Red and not Red?

Yes red label and black label. They’re hard enough to source anyway, so get whichever you can find to start.

I do recommend reading this thread from beginning to end you’ll benefit from it quite a bit, much of the info you want you will find (at least, I have).

Apr 1, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #1,795 of 1,873
Thank you @goldwerger ! I have the red label... where do you suggest to find the black? I am curious to compare...and I read the black is more impactful and bold...

Thank you!

Sure thing

It’s practically impossible to find, no one has an active listing for those afaik. You could reach to Hanoi Tube and ask if they have those in stock. They do have rare tubes that’s aren’t all listed. Otherwise, it makes very rare appearances anywhere if at all these days.

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #1,796 of 1,873
Sure thing

It’s practically impossible to find, no one has an active listing for those afaik. You could reach to Hanoi Tube and ask if they have those in stock. They do have rare tubes that’s aren’t all listed. Otherwise, it makes very rare appearances anywhere if at all these days.
Thank you again!!

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #1,797 of 1,873
I just switched back from my Mullard CV 4003 to my Tesla ECC 802 S after several month and it is quite a revelation. More transparent, brighter, airier. I didn’t remember such a contrast the last time I changed the tube. Great, it almost feels like a new amp :).

Apr 1, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #1,798 of 1,873
I just switched back from my Mullard CV 4003 to my Tesla ECC 802 S after several month and it is quite a revelation. More transparent, brighter, airier. I didn’t remember such a contrast the last time I changed the tube. Great, it almost feels like a new amp :).

Pretty amazing how much this amp changes its tuning based on a single gain tube.

Never tried the Tesla, will add to my To Do list…

Apr 1, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #1,799 of 1,873
IMG_2178.jpeg

Getting ready for Levante tube rolling! Also have a pair of G73R on the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back