Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Jan 18, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #1,261 of 1,919
So my G73R is confirmed super dead. Before I go to buy a new one, any new favorites in the thread? TBH I havent been keeping track here.

Also, where is the best place to buy a G73R from? I bought from hanoi before, but the fact that it shipped in a plastic bag instead of a box and that it died so quickly kinda annoyed me so I was wondering if there are any other options

Jan 18, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #1,262 of 1,919
So my G73R is confirmed super dead. Before I go to buy a new one, any new favorites in the thread? TBH I havent been keeping track here.

Also, where is the best place to buy a G73R from? I bought from hanoi before, but the fact that it shipped in a plastic bag instead of a box and that it died so quickly kinda annoyed me so I was wondering if there are any other options
Black Label from Hanoi works great on this end! And sounds much better than red label imho

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #1,263 of 1,919
Personally it is not working well with Riviera to my ears.

For a counter perspective, I think it works excellently. The thing to keep in mind though is that you don't get the origonal amp quality out. I personally find aic + iesl on a similar tier to z10e technically if you are looking for a benchmark

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #1,264 of 1,919
@drew911d has an extra pair of black label G73s from Italy if I recall correctly. I can sell one red label G73, which I bought from Hanoi as spare (don't need it as I got few black labels).

Jan 19, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #1,265 of 1,919

If you are looking for a bit of a different sound profile the TFK 6211 gold pin is a wonderful alternative. To me it is what I was hoping for a Mullard would be, it does have a bit more body with a super silky/dreamy top end. To die for with female vocals, string instruments etc. It does have higher gain so it is a bit louder in gerneral.

I am listening to it for week s now and have no real urge to replace it with any alternative.

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #1,267 of 1,919
@drew911d has an extra pair of black label G73s from Italy if I recall correctly. I can sell one red label G73, which I bought from Hanoi as spare (don't need it as I got few black labels).
Yes, I could sell a pair (I mean 1 or 2 tubes) of black label. I have 4 black label (maybe way more than I'll ever need, 40k hours life!) from Italy and 2 red label from Hanoitubes.. If that Italian shop doesn't have any, mine are available. They do cost more than the Vietnam source, but somehow I think the Italian source is better to the quality. I have had to get one of the hanoitubes replaced.. No problems with the Italian source tubes. That said, currently I'm loving the sound of the red label from hanoi...

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #1,268 of 1,919
Oh, and I've bought several tubes either from @Miller or based on his suggestions/reviews. So far his view on these tubes has been exactly the same as my findings. Fwiw.

Jan 22, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #1,269 of 1,919
A slight curve ball question for you guys, on low gain is AIC-10 suitable for IEM's?

Jan 22, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #1,271 of 1,919
Storm on the way and quite hungry for current apparently. I recently demo'd Diana Phi and found my existing sources potentially lacking so have acquired a US5 which serves both HP and IEM just fine. Having said that, my main rig is SS with tube pre and wouldn't mind getting the same for the head stuff. Don't think I can run pre in for US5, started looking about for a hybrid and AIC seems to fit the bill apart from being able to run IEM's potentially. I'd rather have one that does all than have multiple boxes sat on my desk!

Jan 22, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #1,272 of 1,919
Storm on the way and quite hungry for current apparently. I recently demo'd Diana Phi and found my existing sources potentially lacking so have acquired a US5 which serves both HP and IEM just fine. Having said that, my main rig is SS with tube pre and wouldn't mind getting the same for the head stuff. Don't think I can run pre in for US5, started looking about for a hybrid and AIC seems to fit the bill apart from being able to run IEM's potentially. I'd rather have one that does all than have multiple boxes sat on my desk!
US5 with tube pre shall be sweet and it makes a lot of sense, but it is very difficult to find a well matching pre. Also, with a normal loudspeaker tube pre, it is very likely there might be added hiss and noise. Woo as pre is actually good for headphone use and that is Woo’s fourte.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #1,273 of 1,919
US5 with tube pre shall be sweet and it makes a lot of sense, but it is very difficult to find a well matching pre. Also, with a normal loudspeaker tube pre, it is very likely there might be added hiss and noise. Woo as pre is actually good for headphone use and that is Woo’s fourte.
Indeed. A WA22 was at the forefront of my mind then i though i might be able to reduce to one box with an AIC, but IEM's use is a deal breaker for me. Appreciate the insight into AIC/IEM, thanks.

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #1,275 of 1,919
I wouldn’t choose Wa22 though unless with DACs as Mojo Mystique X SE dac
Oh really? Without trying to derail the thread, what's your reasoning for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back