Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Jan 23, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #1,291 of 2,051
1266TC in the house.
Any guidance how to place them on my head? Any specific points to take into account/recommendations?

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #1,293 of 2,051
1266TC in the house.
Any guidance how to place them on my head? Any specific points to take into account/recommendations?

You might have seen these official videos already, but there is really no wrong way to wear it!

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #1,294 of 2,051
Lol. Everyone is helpful and fast! 🤣

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #1,295 of 2,051
Do you find that some CDs sound better than Qobuz? What about Flac files?
Local files (even the very same, that were downloaded from Qobuz) are slightly better than streaming. CDs are much better than local files.

The difference between files and CDs isn’t a simple tonality shift or clarity increase. Something changes in the reproduction itself. It sounds very similar in terms of tonality, soundstage etc., but music flows better, feels more alive and emotionally involving.

All of the above is true for albums available in 16/44, especially for the older ones. Newer recordings that were originally made in hi-res digital sometime may sound better with hi-res files (or hi-res Qobuz streaming), probably due to different mastering for CD and Digital Download releases.

All in all, I’d say the whole CD vs Files thing depends a lot on your musical preferences and the availability of albums in one form or another. Some albums are unbelievably great on CDs, some are “ok”. If we are talking about the same record (a CD and its image playing through a file transport), then the CD itself always sounds better. Even relatively inexpensive transports (Cambridge CXC, for example) will outperform more expensive audiophile streamers. My Wavedream NET (which is a CD transport with additional server) uses the very same digital output board both for files and CDs and CDs are always better than their images somehow.

P.S. I also can clearly hear a difference between Roon and LMS. LMS is slightly better soundwise, but I prefer Roon because of it’s interface. CD transport outperforms both in my opinion.

Jan 23, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #1,296 of 2,051
Local files (even the very same, that were downloaded from Qobuz) are slightly better than streaming. CDs are much better than local files.

The difference between files and CDs isn’t a simple tonality shift or clarity increase. Something changes in the reproduction itself. It sounds very similar in terms of tonality, soundstage etc., but music flows better, feels more alive and emotionally involving.

All of the above is true for albums available in 16/44, especially for the older ones. Newer recordings that were originally made in hi-res digital sometime may sound better with hi-res files (or hi-res Qobuz streaming), probably due to different mastering for CD and Digital Download releases.

All in all, I’d say the whole CD vs Files thing depends a lot on your musical preferences and the availability of albums in one form or another. Some albums are unbelievably great on CDs, some are “ok”. If we are talking about the same record (a CD and its image playing through a file transport), then the CD itself always sounds better. Even relatively inexpensive transports (Cambridge CXC, for example) will outperform more expensive audiophile streamers. My Wavedream NET (which is a CD transport with additional server) uses the very same digital output board both for files and CDs and CDs are always better than their images somehow.

P.S. I also can clearly hear a difference between Roon and LMS. LMS is slightly better soundwise, but I prefer Roon because of it’s interface. CD transport outperforms both in my opinion.
Gooosh that complicates things… thanks for the extensive answer though! Its super interesting!

Have you ever tried good quality vinyl or tape with headphones? Is it even worth it?

Jan 23, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,298 of 2,051
Have you ever tried good quality vinyl or tape with headphones? Is it even worth it?
I borrowed a cheap Audio Technica table from me in-laws for a fortnight; sub 300$ device.

It sounded great but I wasn't sold on the time between flips given most of my listening happens while I work.

No issues at all listening via headphones

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #1,299 of 2,051
Gooosh that complicates things…
Simply try it. If you listen to albums (not playlists or single tracks) chances are high that you'll love how it sounds. Buy a few CDs with albums that you like and audition a good transport. Something like Jay's which is built by the same high-end standards that were used during the golden era of CDs and have all possible connectivity options.

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #1,300 of 2,051
Thank you all for the links!

1266TC in the house.
So far, I'm not highly impressed by them.
Sound is not homogenic, frequency response seems all over the place.
I miss the tonality of the Susvara and the Pulsar, everything sounds very dry.
Bass is exaggerated, and sounds unnatural, I listen mostly to acoustic music (classical/jazz) and the bass is not real, it does sound like that. E.g. I hear a pianist pounding on the pedals and it sounds out of context, way too emphasized.
They do sound spacious, but not better than the X9000.
Dynamic swings sound good, but, so far, I prefer the dynamics of the Pulsar better.

Of course, it's still early days and probably requires some breaking-in and also fine-tuning (playing with their placement on my head).

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #1,301 of 2,051
Thank you all for the links!

So far, I'm not highly impressed by them.
Sound is not homogenic, frequency response seems all over the place.
I miss the tonality of the Susvara and the Pulsar, everything sounds very dry.
Bass is exaggerated, and sounds unnatural, I listen mostly to acoustic music (classical/jazz) and the bass is not real, it does sound like that. E.g. I hear a pianist pounding on the pedals and it sounds out of context, way too emphasized.
They do sound spacious, but not better than the X9000.
Dynamic swings sound good, but, so far, I prefer the dynamics of the Pulsar better.

Of course, it's still early days and probably requires some breaking-in and also fine-tuning (playing with their placement on my head).
I felt a bit like this when I first auditioned and preferred susvara now I can’t go back! Even traded my valkyria back in. Also try speaker taps they really do shine then.

But this is all personal taste after all!

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #1,302 of 2,051
Also try speaker taps they really do shine then.
I connected them to the speaker taps. Did not try the headphones dedicated outputs.

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #1,303 of 2,051
I connected them to the speaker taps. Did not try the headphones dedicated outputs.
Did you get super conductor cable ones? Or base model?

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #1,304 of 2,051
Jan 24, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #1,305 of 2,051
For few months I used Abyss with hp output and was satisfied, basic cable. It was and still is enough SQ IMHO. Then I started to use speaker terminals with 2 cables- S.I.N and Invictus. Both are different in character, also Invictus goes straight to HP sockets. There is one thing in common- sheer authority and power more prominent than with hp output. I notice some less detailed presentation , but 3d space in untouched. Very good for dynamic recordings, R&B, electro, metal etc

And Abyss needs a lot of time to warm up, then all of a sudden one day everything is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back