Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Jan 4, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #1,246 of 1,920
Do you power your digital front end with the same, or do you keep the MU1 and Dave on separate power sources?

This looks interesting, I hope you can compare to a power regen. I would love to see that comparison.
It has 5 outlets, 1 extra filtered and 4 “normal” ones. I have plugged everything into the normal ones and my wifi router for MU1 into a filtered one. Filtered output does sound different with Mu1, Dave and Riviera but I don’t particularly like that sound.

Whats interesting is that since its all balanced power if you measure N and L with the bulb screwdriver they both light up as L.

Jan 4, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #1,247 of 1,920
I’m listening to it right now 😎 Such old tube probably needs more burn in, but first impressions are great 👍 It’s the first Mullard that I really like and want to keep.

I am curious to give them a try! I do own several different Mullards, some were not really to my taste but that is true for other manufacturers as well. The one thing which was a bit confusing is the wide spectrum in difference, I was expecting a bit of a house sound like in TFK or Siemens but instead it was all over the place.

Some of the old military Mullards though are extremely nice. I do have a 1957 Blackburn long plate square getter CV491 which falls in that category. It is very relaxed and calm in it‘s presentation. The bit of edge that it is missing is filled up by sheer confidence in presentation. It does not have the richest body but smooth transients which leads me to play it louder compared to the G73R.

Jan 4, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #1,248 of 1,920
I am curious to give them a try! I do own several different Mullards, some were not really to my taste but that is true for other manufacturers as well. The one thing which was a bit confusing is the wide spectrum in difference, I was expecting a bit of a house sound like in TFK or Siemens but instead it was all over the place.

Some of the old military Mullards though are extremely nice. I do have a 1957 Blackburn long plate square getter CV491 which falls in that category. It is very relaxed and calm in it‘s presentation. The bit of edge that it is missing is filled up by sheer confidence in presentation. It does not have the richest body but smooth transients which leads me to play it louder compared to the G73R.
What is insane is how these tubes differ in sound, I still find it mind boggling that two seemingly identical tube can sound so different.

Jan 4, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #1,249 of 1,920
I also think Mullard tubes are much more different than Telefunken or others. I had few Mullards before that and sold them. They were too "tubey" with "bloated" mid bass and "smeared" transients. This "shark teeth getter" is absolutely different. It's not as punchy and "palpable" as G73 (nothing really is), but still fast and resolving enough. Midrange and highs are fuller and more "liquid" which makes the sound of Ab1266 unexpectedly musical without sacrificing much of it technical capabilities. It's probably the best tube for vocals that I've heard so far in AIC-10.

Jan 4, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #1,250 of 1,920
Ugh! Well, I thought I was done with buying tubes. But you all Got me... just ordered a couple of the shark teeth Mullards...

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #1,251 of 1,920
Can someone please confirm that all aic10 units can take in banana plugs into speaker taps no matter what year it was manufactured?

Jan 10, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #1,252 of 1,920
Can someone please confirm that all aic10 units can take in banana plugs into speaker taps no matter what year it was manufactured?
Yes it can.

Attachments

• 53E5FDA0-CC57-4E1F-A092-BB8FA6DD9E7C.jpeg
    53E5FDA0-CC57-4E1F-A092-BB8FA6DD9E7C.jpeg
    643.2 KB · Views: 0
Jan 12, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #1,253 of 1,920
I got mullard shark tooth, tesla military spec and mullard blackburn spec from that website in the UK.

My system now contains 2 aluminata cables on riviera and dave, and a 24 strand cable on grim audio all going into equitech model q that has an audio analysis oval plus cable. This combo makes G73-R black label shine.

Aluminata signature matches G73-R beautifully and created crystal clear sound that is further enhanced by equitec when a/b testing with a normal 220V.

My first impressions are:
mullard shark tooth - softer milder performance with 20-30% less clarity compared to G73-R.

Tesla military spec - ok sound but nothing special, only slightly better than the stock JJ it comes with.

mullard blackburn - 5-10% less clarity then G73-R but all the softness and tenderness of other mullards. My favorite of the three so far, and better than the previous mullard I owned.

This is just a very first short listening with no burn in. Will keep you posted on further insights.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #1,255 of 1,920
Would you happen to have any photos or further details on this tube?

Thankyou
Sure! But in my system G73-R sounds like 40-50% better imho, so I wouldn’t recommend any of these mullards over the german master tube :)

I noticed that that UK website keeps raising prices real time as our forum starts to buy those tubes :) so I bought from their ebay listings which have their prices frozen till the end of the listing.

Here are the links:
Blackburn: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3137568292...KhJ3brqRTO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Shark Tooth: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3140978686...KhJ3brqRTO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Tesla: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2746171587...KhJ3brqRTO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #1,257 of 1,920
Looks like I was lucky this time. My shark teeth is almost as good as G73 in terms of clarity/transparency. Transients are much softer, but it had other benefits like fuller and liquid mids.
I suspect that this can vary a lot per tube! So interesting!

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #1,259 of 1,920
Michael's comments on the pairing of the totaldac d1-tube and the Riviera has me tempted to check the combo out for myself..
I have a d1-dual and aic and can confirm it's absaluely excellent combo. That said, it's pretty damn colored so make sure it's what you want

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #1,260 of 1,920

Users who are viewing this thread

Back