Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Dec 15, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #196 of 2,051
I am in the process of getting a demo AIC-10 to review in my setup against a Niimbus US4+. It looks like the stock is depleted and the balanced version will see the market end of Jan beginning of Feb.

I am curious since I noticed that some of the contributors on the thread look to have moved on while others stay committed. Is there any specific reason why one could be unhappy with the amp?

Dec 15, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #197 of 2,051
Is there any specific reason why one could be unhappy with the amp?
If 15k MSRP does not scare you - no 🤣

The sound of the Riviera varies greatly with different tubes. From viscous sweetness with some Mullards, to fast and precise with Fivre and Mazda.

Until you listen with two or three different valves, you can assume that you have not heard it. Stock JJ sounds more or less balanced, but do not reveal even half of the beauty of this amplifier.

P.S. I ended up using Mazda tube, which is usually called as “Mazda ECC82 Triple Mica silver plate”.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #198 of 2,051
The 15k would scare me lol….

Dec 15, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #199 of 2,051
I am in the process of getting a demo AIC-10 to review in my setup against a Niimbus US4+. It looks like the stock is depleted and the balanced version will see the market end of Jan beginning of Feb.

I am curious since I noticed that some of the contributors on the thread look to have moved on while others stay committed. Is there any specific reason why one could be unhappy with the amp?

Honestly, the only people I know personaly that have moved on from it have all gone estat or sr1a (aka, either a step up or a vastly different experience)

Dec 15, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #200 of 2,051
If 15k MSRP does not scare you - no 🤣

The sound of the Riviera varies greatly with different tubes. From viscous sweetness with some Mullards, to fast and precise with Fivre and Mazda.

Until you listen with two or three different valves, you can assume that you have not heard it. Stock JJ sounds more or less balanced, but do not reveal even half of the beauty of this amplifier.

P.S. I ended up using Mazda tube, which is usually called as “Mazda ECC82 Triple Mica silver plate”.
The 5star silver 6189 that I am using too,
It Sounds Ultra linear and with transparency

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #201 of 2,051
Yes I can see that point of spending such an amount on a piece of gear. But if you put things into perspective, people are spending equal amounts on watches and ten times a much for cars. This is not meant to come across arrogant, but once your are in a certain stage in career you can see people spending left and right huge amounts on things they value good for money even out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #202 of 2,051
The thing I am looking for is to add a bit more body and sweetness to the sound. There is nothing wrong with the Niimbus, it is very precise, transparent and clean. It feels a bit inaudible in my setup, sometimes a bit to clean for my taste. I am hoping to get with the AIC-10 a bit more "fun" to listen to. I hope that makes sense.

Once I do have my loaner at home I'll report my findings.

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #204 of 2,051

After almost three years, I am still in my honeymoon stage with the AIC-10 / Abyss AB-1266 TC pairing.

I cannot see myself parting from the AIC-10 as long as I have the Abyss with me. I had a great time with the Susvara as well.

Now, talking about reasons to move on from the Riviera, if you have very sensitive headphones, there are more silent amplifiers out there, and if you like sparklingly fast, hyper-resolving and light-footed, airy, hyper-detailed presentation, again other options could work better. Also, if you pair it with heapdhones with darker / thicker signature, especially in the mid-bass range, say Empyrean or LCD-4, the outcome could be a bit too much on the bloomy side.

The thing I am looking for is to add a bit more body and sweetness to the sound. There is nothing wrong with the Niimbus, it is very precise, transparent and clean. It feels a bit inaudible in my setup, sometimes a bit to clean for my taste. I am hoping to get with the AIC-10 a bit more "fun" to listen to. I hope that makes sense.

So you are in for a treat, especially with a tube like a NOS CV491 Mullard from the golden era (1955-1960) :L3000:

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #206 of 2,051

I am another owner who will hold on to the Riviera for a long time I think :)

Having said that, I understand why some people may sell quickly. I think one factor is related to unrealistic expectations. It costs a fortune (much less second hand) and as all audio gear in this segment you should not expect a proportional correlation in terms of sound quality. It is a fantastic luxury object, with great versatility and performance but that's it, don't expect miracles. I personally love it.

It shines with the best tubes, speaker taps for hard to drive cans, especially if you are looking for a meatier, rounder sound signature. On the other extreme, there may be sharper, leaner amps out there but with the right tube it almost sounds like my Dave headphones output, so not bad at all if you look that sound .

Have fun :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #207 of 2,051
Thx for the explanation, I only have two pair of headphones. A Susvara and a HD800S, I am not planning to add more.
Glad your happy with your headphones. But I would suggest maybe one more. This is so you complement your current line up. Something that’s a little warmer and meaty sounding. For for example LCD-4Z or Empyreans.

Dec 17, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #208 of 2,051
Glad your happy with your headphones. But I would suggest maybe one more. This is so you complement your current line up. Something that’s a little warmer and meaty sounding. For for example LCD-4Z or Empyreans.

If he is happy no need to add. Imo we (this board as a whole) need to do better in recognizing "if you are content you have endgame" tbh.

Dec 17, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #210 of 2,051
I truly recognize that. It was just a suggestion based on the tonality of the headphones he has. But, if I could only have one it would be the Susvara.

Do you have AIC-10? Tbh I am pretty extrodarily disappointed with my sus and I've been kinda wondering if an aic may fix tge issues I have with it. Sus is absalutely the most technical headphone I own and I basicaly can't stop listening to how wildly resolving it is, but tbh, it just doesn't ever make me actualy enjoy my music. It just feels kinda, idk, boring? I think (don't know) thats because I like a bit more funk on the mids than susvara gives me so im wondering if aic may help out there while still preserving the insane resolution (fwiw my currently chain is SU2 KTE -> sagra -> 13r -> sus)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back