Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Jul 7, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #31 of 1,873
"As an alternative, I believe I will ask my custom cable supplier to manufacture a AB-1266 headphone cable with speaker taps termination, so to minimize the number of connectors."

Are you planning to give them your existing ab-1266 cable to add speaker taps termination or are you buying a brand new cable and start from scratch? Good luck!

Nope, nobody will touch my precious Superconductor :rolling_eyes:

P.S. For people looking for a serious skull massage - and a headphone / amp challenge, try this (Double Negative, by Low).

Screenshot_20200706-195058_Roon.jpg

Not my typical genre, but I found this album extremely interesting sonically and emotionally, disturbing at times but in a very stimulating fashion.

The AIC-10 / AB-1266 combo delivers abyssal bass depth and scale, total control and separation of heavily processed passages with symultaneosly mixes of distorted bass and ethereal treble. Great stuff indeed!

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #33 of 1,873
A great thread for a great amp!

I have ordered a specialty cable from Audio Sensibility to try the TC's with the speaker taps.

One notable difference in the execution of this specialty cable vs normal is that on the connecting end, it will be a 6.3mm TRS jack. I have configured this way because it will be plugged into the High Fidelity Trinity Helix. I currently use the Trinity Helix with the headphone output using a speciality cable. I should have the cable in hand by the weekend - can't wait!

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #34 of 1,873
A great thread for a great amp!

I have ordered a specialty cable from Audio Sensibility to try the TC's with the speaker taps.

One notable difference in the execution of this specialty cable vs normal is that on the connecting end, it will be a 6.3mm TRS jack. I have configured this way because it will be plugged into the High Fidelity Trinity Helix. I currently use the Trinity Helix with the headphone output using a speciality cable. I should have the cable in hand by the weekend - can't wait!

Can you share some pics of this specialty cable and how it connects with the HFC Helix.

I’m a big fan of HFC cables and was just discussing with Rick Schultz on how to use some of his products between the speaker taps and Susvaras. A crazy idea I had was to use a pair of of his speaker cables and have them terminated with a 4 pin female XLR on one end, turning them basically into the speaker tap adapter cable.

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #35 of 1,873
Can you share some pics of this specialty cable and how it connects with the HFC Helix.

I’m a big fan of HFC cables and was just discussing with Rick Schultz on how to use some of his products between the speaker taps and Susvaras. A crazy idea I had was to use a pair of of his speaker cables and have them terminated with a 4 pin female XLR on one end, turning them basically into the speaker tap adapter cable.
Sure, are you interested in current set up using headphone output or the new set up using the speaker taps?

Like you, I love high fidelity cables. I am using a URDH signature PC to power the aic10 and It sounds awesome. I am going to compare it to the Sablon Prince PC when that demo cable arrives towards the end of the month.

Jul 7, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #36 of 1,873
For those who are looking for a Riviera amp, I have an AFC-10 (no volume control) that I might let go, please feel free to PM me if you are interested :)
Unfortunately after I decided to get rid of my preamp, I found that the built in volume control on my MAB DAC is not quite up to the task (without upgrade preamp module). I don’t want to be stuck with a bulky preamp just for the riviera

Jul 7, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #37 of 1,873
Sure, are you interested in current set up using headphone output or the new set up using the speaker taps?

Like you, I love high fidelity cables. I am using a URDH signature PC to power the aic10 and It sounds awesome. I am going to compare it to the Sablon Prince PC when that demo cable arrives towards the end of the month.

Would like to see both, but I understand the new ones are not ready yet.

Funny you mention the Sablon and HFC. I just completed a two week test comparing my HFC Pro power cord against the Sablon King. The Riviera is now being powered by the Sablon King, though I preferred my DAVE with the HFC pro over the King.

For the last month, I’ve been swapping power cords to “Tune” my system to the sound I want. It’s funny how much power cords can change the sound if your system is transparent enough.

I settled with Kings on the amp and my server, and the HFC pro on the DAVE. Both the Riviera and my server are power hungry so they do really well with the 5awg of the Sablon Kings. The DAVE doesn’t draw as much power so sounds better with the 12awg of the HFC pro. When I had Sablon on all 3 pieces of equipment, I felt it muddied you the sound too much and lost a lot of the speed and transients I crave that the HFC cables bring to the table.

I also extensively tested the Sablon RCAs against HFC pro RCAs and felt the HFC’s were much better but almost at over 10x the cost.

Again, this is all based on my system and for my preferences. YMMV

Jul 7, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #39 of 1,873
@spotforscott @onlychild which tubes do you use and prefer on your Riviera?

Been using a Mullard NOS since day one. I’m not a tube guy so had no idea, just read in some reviews that they like Mullard the best.

I do plan on trying a few different types, especially the B749, but not sure where to find a NOS one as all the ones on EBay are not NOS.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #40 of 1,873
Been using a Mullard NOS since day one. I’m not a tube guy so had no idea, just read in some reviews that they like Mullard the best.

I do plan on trying a few different types, especially the B749, but not sure where to find a NOS one as all the ones on EBay are not NOS.

Since you seem to like to test stuff I would recommend also trying some tubes, the difference is (sometimes) easy to perceive. Old Mullard are great but definitely not the last word in transparency and speed so you may be surprised to find a tube that matches even better your taste and music.
Mullard has the largest and most 3D scene but interestingly using speakers out I feel that the difference is less noticeable compared to some other tubes.
More to come later today.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #42 of 1,873
Well, I pulled the trigger - traded up from Formula S / Powerman to the AIC-10!

EE3A7021-C582-4AF1-9F2A-EE195AE9EC06.jpeg

Overall, it is simply more musical than the Formula S combo. And it looks so good! Looking forward to trying various tubes with it as well (currently using the JJ electronic tube).

I tried it with my Avantgarde speakers, which are very efficient. It drove them beautifully, and the 10 watts per channel were more than sufficient to drive them as loud as I wanted. The combination of being able to drive my speakers as well as the musicality with the AB1266s is what put me over the edge.

9AFC663E-8016-44C5-B0C8-84FFE662BB4D.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #43 of 1,873
Would like to see both, but I understand the new ones are not ready yet.

Funny you mention the Sablon and HFC. I just completed a two week test comparing my HFC Pro power cord against the Sablon King. The Riviera is now being powered by the Sablon King, though I preferred my DAVE with the HFC pro over the King.

For the last month, I’ve been swapping power cords to “Tune” my system to the sound I want. It’s funny how much power cords can change the sound if your system is transparent enough.

I settled with Kings on the amp and my server, and the HFC pro on the DAVE. Both the Riviera and my server are power hungry so they do really well with the 5awg of the Sablon Kings. The DAVE doesn’t draw as much power so sounds better with the 12awg of the HFC pro. When I had Sablon on all 3 pieces of equipment, I felt it muddied you the sound too much and lost a lot of the speed and transients I crave that the HFC cables bring to the table.

I also extensively tested the Sablon RCAs against HFC pro RCAs and felt the HFC’s were much better but almost at over 10x the cost.

Again, this is all based on my system and for my preferences. YMMV

Wow, similar journey. Very interesting to hear your thoughts on that HFC/ Sablon comparison.

My Chord DAVE is in the "shop" getting fixed so I am using my TT2 in my main set up until I get the DAVE back. Attached are photos showing the AUX cable between the AIC10 and the HFC Trinity Helix. I will update photo with new speaker tap cable when I get it.

Attachments

• aux cable aic10.png
    aux cable aic10.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • AIC10.png
    AIC10.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #44 of 1,873

TBH, I have a lot to learn about tubes. Going to start to more actively experiment. Got the AIC10 with JJ tubes and I am currently using Brimar CV4003 NOS (made in the 60's). Like this tube a lot and picking up another one along with a couple of others (see the image of what I ordered from Upscale Audio). I would really like to try a Mullard NOS when I can get my hands on one. tubes.png

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #45 of 1,873
TBH, I have a lot to learn about tubes. Going to start to more actively experiment. Got the AIC10 with JJ tubes and I am currently using Brimar CV4003 NOS (made in the 60's). Like this tube a lot and picking up another one along with a couple of others (see the image of what I ordered from Upscale Audio). I would really like to try a Mullard NOS when I can get my hands on one. tubes.png
The radio technique 1950s is also available on upscale audio, consider trying that one out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back