Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Sep 20, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #916 of 2,051
There is a AFC-10
I know, but AIC-10 was mentioned in that context, not the AFC-10 (also in the signature it's written AIC-10).

Sep 20, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #917 of 2,051
I was actually on the same flight with Jack woo back from Socal to NY. According to Jack woo, 2A3 tubes have cleaner bass than 300B. I guess it might explain why subjectively speaking people hear more bass from 300B.

But I have to admit my favorite speaker amp is 300B design with the best bass I have ever heard that I could not help backing up unconsciously being intimidated by the slam:

I try to persuade him to build me a 234, but he said it is hard to build and if I'm not using loud speakers, there is little difference between 23 and 234, both of which are single ended design. Actually I'm single ended guy in that I found the notes fuller and stronger with single ended tube design. I am sure 234 will sound bigger with better imaging but I am eager to see the combo of 23 pre with AFC 10. Even there are folks claiming woo's products are mainly headphone amps and as pre, even Primaluna 100 pre could blew it out of water. But you have to try to know how does your ears perceive.

If I could trust my ears, Wa23 has the best bass and folks who Heard it at the show also confirmed my impression even they replaced the stock tubes with bass light pasvon tubes.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #919 of 2,051
If I could trust my ears, Wa23 has the best bass and folks who Heard it at the show also confirmed my impression even they replaced the stock tubes with bass light pasvon tubes.
I couldn't possibly judge absalutely best bass at a show (especialy with a can as open as sus), but wa23 is absalutely in the top echelons of sus amp for bass. It was an excellent pairing. I would love to get more time with one and would be super super currious to see what a wa23 elite is like. I could 100% see that actualy being a viable aic-10 competetor. I was super super impressed with that amp. I also get the sneaking suspicion it may be one of those "makes everything sound great" amps (like aic) that are so rare in the upper echelon of gear.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #920 of 2,051
My problem is the Dave and Lina DAC is at same price point. Unless the Dave 2 is introduced or get one used at a great price. I’m not sure it’s worth it for me. Dave was released in 2015 I believe and is almost 8 years old. The Lina is also upgradable.

Plus I would move my TT2/MScaler to one of my other systems and sell one of the other setups.
the M-scaler is the upgrade to the dave and from what I hear a new m-scaler is coming...the dave is now basically like the transport upgraded by the M-scaler

Sep 20, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #921 of 2,051
I couldn't possibly judge absalutely best bass at a show (especialy with a can as open as sus), but wa23 is absalutely in the top echelons of sus amp for bass. It was an excellent pairing. I would love to get more time with one and would be super super currious to see what a wa23 elite is like. I could 100% see that actualy being a viable aic-10 competetor. I was super super impressed with that amp. I also get the sneaking suspicion it may be one of those "makes everything sound great" amps (like aic) that are so rare in the upper echelon of gear.
With various tubes pairing, it is possible to make many cans sound good. Riviera excells at Macro-details and organic presentation ( imaging are natural and not bad even with stock tubes actually I'm told by a HE-1 owner than Sus& Riviera is more detailed than stock HE-1 which has better bass), Woo23 is big on Micro-details and full dynamic bass. My take is try to marry them...

Even though it was scary as hell to place an early order as nobody believe what I was on about Woo23, especially the woo33 owners lol

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #923 of 2,051
especially the woo33 owners

Tbf, If you are a die hard wa33 guy you will probabaky hate the wa23. 23 has got some stank to it (which is exactly why it's the only modern woo amp I like)

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #924 of 2,051
If you need 300b sound don’t beat about the bush and just try Feliks Audio ENVY, 300b amp, needs no preamp with its problems, cost, cable etc, 3 inputs incl xlr, a lot of power (except for SUS), fantastic sound, tubes rolling , etc etc. I know what I am talking about
I actually did for their lineup for several times since their debut but no offense just not my preferred sound sig. They are definitely the New Tube sound though. I might even like it after switching tubes but with stock no

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #925 of 2,051
If you already have an M-Scaler and AIC-10 - go for DAVE. For TT2 owners DAVE is a no-brainer upgrade with only one drawback - less power at the headphone output. Which is completely irrelevant for the owner of AIС-10. This may sound unconvincing from someone who sold his DAVE 🤣 but I was rather looking for a different type of sound. If you really like the way Chord DACs play - with an emphasis on detail and accuracy of sound images, then DAVE is the perfect upgrade. I would say that in terms of arranging sound images and displaying a complex recording space, this DAC is unsurpassed by anything.
M scaler is a must even for Dave personally speaking.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #926 of 2,051
Sep 21, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #927 of 2,051
Sep 21, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #928 of 2,051
Do you use it as a Roon Core? Now with Roon Arc, you would have to leave the Mu1 on all the time if you wanted to use Roon arc outside your house. Now sure I am a fan of this.
Yeah I use it as roon core. The roon is my least favorite part of the whole setup. But otherwise I love it

Sep 22, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #929 of 2,051
Just like to share some very positive results after installing DH Labs'flagship Power Cord Corona to my Riviera system.

Weeks ago back at NY Audio Show 2022, I was having a conversation with a chief engineer of a new cable company whose products are all silver based. I was very skeptical regarding how could a silver cable improves the lows, slams, and dynamics of the system. The engineer told me, if you prefer the muffled bass, silver cables can't bring that to you. Yet the slams and low rumbles are better realized through clean bass and attack from the lows.

As a copper guy myself, I always am skeptical of silver cables, despite of their scientifically proved superior conductivity. Personally speaking, I found the resolution and stage enhanced by silver cables are achieved by filtering out the bass, lows, dynamics, musicality, body, bone and soul of music, winding up with a artificially coloured, harsh, analytical, unbalanced, unhealthy and unnatural sound signature.

Even as a frequent user of DH Labs products, Corona PC still brings me immense surprise with both of my Solid State and tube amplifiers. With my Riviera power amp, the result is improved fast transients, which could definitely help the amp deal with fast paced music without muffled sound that some folks mentioned the other day at woo 23 thread. No matter how fast and how highs the notes go, they are controlled and organized in a airy, gigantic, organic and uncompressed way, with no sweat:

Yet, My biggest surprise is its slams and low end attack. It is hitting hard in a fashion similar to solid state amps, which is clean, fast, and crispy without any hesitation or draggingness.

My assumption is it might also be largely thanks to the clean background on top of the fast speed of transients. As a Flagship design, Corona has the best shielding reaching the lowest noise in DH Labs lineup.

My theory is jitters are very likely to soften and muffle the slams and bass attack. The empirical evidence is my experiment with Titan Labs Jitter Purifier, which transform my BHSE to a bass monster.

The enhanced resolution, control, imaging, clean background, bass attack, natural stage, and balanced tonality makes Corona the PC I decide to settle down with, after soooooo many cables swap that I couldn't even remember nor count. I'm glad I pulled the trigger especially I have kept my eyes on it for a long long while.

Corona makes me a happy man and Corona saved my marriage with Riviera lol.

Attachments

• IMG20220922170342.jpg
    IMG20220922170342.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #930 of 2,051
Just got my aic-10, impressive that it drives any headphones I throw at it and drives them well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back