Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
May 26, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #751 of 1,873
I have to say unless you put G73 or Mullard into Riviera you are not gettings its full potencial.

With the standard JJ it sound is comparable to more things than I would like it to be.

May 26, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #752 of 1,873
Another big big thing is to use speaker taps instead of front sockets- I use now Cotton Candy cable bought in Amsterdam with very good results. Also I connected Acrolink 7N-PC9500 power cord- what a progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But as for the bass response- it is not deeper or more present- it is just much more detailed and precise.

May 26, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #753 of 1,873
Another big big thing is to use speaker taps instead of front sockets- I use now Cotton Candy cable bought in Amsterdam with very good results. Also I connected Acrolink 7N-PC9500 power cord- what a progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But as for the bass response- it is not deeper or more present- it is just much more detailed and precise.
Can you share more details about the speaker tap to 4pin xlr adapter, I would love to try it!

May 26, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #754 of 1,873
I have to say unless you put G73 or Mullard into Riviera you are not gettings its full potencial.

With the standard JJ it sound is comparable to more things than I would like it to be.
Thank you for your tips. Actually mullard made the sound soooooo slow to me. I was wondering what is the brand of G73 and how would you describe the sound of G73

May 26, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #756 of 1,873
G73 black is like a spinal tap connection, music is in your spine not your head anymore, G73 red label is a bit more pleasurable and less intense. Defo not slow!

May 26, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #757 of 1,873
Thank you for your tips. Actually mullard made the sound soooooo slow to me. I was wondering what is the brand of G73 and how would you describe the sound of G73

I have / have had several Mullards and they may sound different as it often happens with NOS / vintage tubes. My gold standard is a pair of (apparently) genuine NOS CV 491 from 1957, Blackburn factory, which have that trademark Mullard sweetness in spades while retaining more than decent technicalities.

G73-R is a special series of ECC 802S from Telefunken, which was made in the '60s specifically for Agilent and HP, both military and medical applications, targeted to very strict electrical tolerances, thermal stability and enhanced mechanical robustness.

mullard-vs-g73r.png

There are variants of this tube, with red and with black print labels. I have one sample of each, and, yes, they sound different.

g73-r.png

Compared to Mullard, the G73-R(s) are indeed faster, more dynamic and transparent, while not being harsh, dry or bright. Mullard has more bloom and euphoric midrange richness, while G73-R delivers a big, holographic 3D picture and a tighter bass. Top end extension and liquidity is also excellent on the Telefunken.

For my personal tastes and for the music I listen the most (classical, unamplified acoustic jazz and vocals) I find the Mullard more pleasing with the AB-1266 TC and the G73-R more with the Valkyria. Actually, the "red print" G73-R / Valkyria combo is my overall preferred setup.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #758 of 1,873
I have / have had several Mullards and they may sound different as it often happens with NOS / vintage tubes. My gold standard is a pair of (apparently) genuine NOS CV 491 from 1957, Blackburn factory, which have that trademark Mullard sweetness in spades while retaining more than decent technicalities.

G73-R is a special series of ECC 802S from Telefunken, which was made in the '60s specifically for Agilent and HP, both military and medical applications, targeted to very strict electrical tolerances, thermal stability and enhanced mechanical robustness.

mullard-vs-g73r.png

There are variants of this tube, with red and with black print labels. I have one sample of each, and, yes, they sound different.

g73-r.png

Compared to Mullard, the G73-R(s) are indeed faster, more dynamic and transparent, while not being harsh, dry or bright. Mullard has more bloom and euphoric midrange richness, while G73-R delivers a big, holographic 3D picture and a tighter bass. Top end extension and liquidity is also excellent on the Telefunken.

For my personal tastes and for the music I listen the most (classical, unamplified acoustic jazz and vocals) I find the Mullard more pleasing with the AB-1266 TC and the G73-R more with the Valkyria. Actually, the "red print" G73-R / Valkyria combo is my overall preferred setup.
Really appreciate for your sharing

May 26, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #759 of 1,873
This thing (http://www.airtight-anm.com/components/atm300r.html), is an undiscovered Japanese gem. Stefan told me that it comes from a Japanese “tube aristorcarcy” because it was made by the luxman family, more specifcally the grandson of Luxman founder.

Because this thing is a preamp + a speaker amp + a specially made headphone adapter I was sceptical at first, however after listening to it for 20min I have to say, it sort of beats AIC10Bal.

300B makes listening more grounded and easier and its super silent. Its easily one of the best amps in the world and I am very glad I tried it with 1266, Diana and Susvaras.

I am very happy with my AIC10 and this beast of a set is around 30k usd, but I am happy knowing there is an upgrade path if I wanted to go that way.

I know its been several weeks now, but any chance you would mind going into a bit more detail on the differences here? Also, any idea what dac was used? I certainly wont be buying the setup (need a dac before I consider anything else at all....) but just quite currious how it stacks up. Not often you find something genuinly a step up above the AIC-10 tier
After couple of hours with FELIKS Audio ENVY I can clearly say that comparing it with Riviera is like comparing apples and oranges. Different principle of operation matters but both amps perform at highest level and have unlimited possibilities of tweaking of tailoring their sound. So it is only matter of taste, also estethically, which one to choose. I decided to order ENVY once I have heard it was going to be made and waited 5 months to receive it. I talked by phone with very professional and kind people from Feliks Audio and owing their EUPHORIA 20 Anniversary OTL amp I was sure TOTL amp will be good. But I did not expected it will be that good. At The moment I can not show any weak point. No problem with driving Abyss 1266tc to concert like levels and still there is a lot of headroom. With Utopia even the soundstage is very good, not mentioning detail retrieval.THERE IS NO TUBEY SOUND, just pure music, you do not have to think whether it is all tube, hybrid or transistor amp, you just listen. But it will not be a problem to apply some other driver or power tubes to receive what you need in this respect. Listening to music I do not analyse bass, mids or treble, or 3D soudstage or whatever else. All is coherent. At The highest level. It is made in Poland, what makes me proud of it but it is not a bias for me when listening and analysing its performance.
Now I only wish I had more time to listen and peace of mind needed for objective review of new amp.
P.S. The same text I will post in ENVY thread
Mind talking on AIC vs envy now that you have had some more time with both?

May 26, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #760 of 1,873
oh, also. I do need some more time swapping back and forth (my setup layout makes tube swapping a PITA) and with a proper dac (just using P6 pro currently which IMO is roughly yggy a2 tier but a much cleaner sound), but I think I personally prefer the Tungsram ECC82 red serial double getter support (that was reqed earlier by someone I cant find to tag, ty for the req) over the G73R (I have black text medical). It feels a bit more balanced for the majority of my cans giving a bit more of a classicaly "tube-ey" stage presentation/texture while maintaining quite high technicalities throughout. We will see how I feel about this once I have a propper dac, but for anyone wanting to spend 1/4 what a G73R costs its a damned good option IMO

May 27, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #761 of 1,873
Today I had quite an experience. I visited one of the best places for the headfi enthusiast in the world I think: https://www.headphoneauditions.nl/

Stefan who owns this place is a great enthusiast who opened this shop because he loves the hobby so much and he wanted everyone to be able to compare all TOTLs in one place.

I got my Riviera AIC10Bal from him few months ago and today I decided that my riviera NEEDS Grimm Audio MU1. I will be selling my my MScaller and 2yo2go combo.

I had a chance to compare this setup with various tubes (Mullard, G73red, JJ) plus try 1266, Diana, Susvaras, mySpehere, Headdphones, Utopias, G3000e on and compare it with other amps running Stax 009s, Warwick audio and SR1s there. ALL in one day!

My biggest surprise is how good MU1 sounds.

My second biggest surprise is something made by the grandson of the guy who started Luxman. I will make a separate post about that. Here are some picks!

P.S. Please do reach out to Stefan if you need advice he has heard it all and I am so luck to have found him and his store.
Wow! I will just happen to be vacationing in Amsterdam. But, with my luck the shop is closed during June 6 - 8 that I will be there... :frowning2:

May 27, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #764 of 1,873
Iam surprised this has lasted for more than 24h.
eh, I mean its a good price IMO, but its not absalutely mind blowing. Plus its a lesser known amp in teh first place, so it will probabaly take a while just regardless.

May 27, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #765 of 1,873
eh, I mean its a good price IMO, but its not absalutely mind blowing. Plus its a lesser known amp in teh first place, so it will probabaly take a while just regardless.
I paid list price so it is mind blowing to me :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back