Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind testing
May 28, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #1,336 of 1,376
[1] Much of modern technology takes its toll on people, and the free market can be harsh.
[2] For him to say I am "demanding lower quality recordings for your system to reproduce" because I get virtually all of my music from Tidal HD is absurd.

1. Yes it does take it's toll on people but that is NOT what I was referring to, I was referring to the simple economics. As consumers demand more convenience and pay substantially less for what they are consuming, revenues have crashed. As revenues have declined, so has the amount of money invested in creating recordings. There are still a lot of recordings being made but the amount of money spent on creating each of those recordings is a fraction of what it was a couple of decades or so ago. With such small budgets, they can't afford to hire a team of top experts for months or afford the high quality commercial studios. Yes, it's a shame so many of those studios have gone forever, it's also a shame that the pool of expertise is dwindling but that wasn't the point I was making. The point I was making is basic economics; as the amount of money (and therefore time and expertise) spent making recordings decreases, the quality of recordings decreases and additionally, risk aversion dramatically increases and therefore musical innovation and investment in new talent decreases. Surely you can't be disagreeing with any of this? If not, then:

2. By supporting/subscribing to a streaming service you are part of the consumer collective creating the demand for more convenient, lower cost music AND THEREFORE all the consequences explained in my previous post and #1 above! So, what's really absurd (!) is you continuing to deny that you are "demanding lower quality recordings ..." and denying that you have any responsibility for helping create that demand?!

G

May 28, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #1,337 of 1,376
guys, I removed a few posts. peace and love instead of personal attacks and sassy replies. if someone goes too far, report the post or come talk to me(I'm a crappy therapist though), don't make a bad situation escalate with your own reply.

when the industry focuses on silly containers and pointlessly big numbers instead of quality content. when brands and nonsense marketing have more financial value than objective fidelity. even if the consumer isn't at the origin of those changes, when we agree to pay according to those criteria we validate the marketing decisions. it's not about what is right or wrong, or telling people what to do, that's just how it is.
like the song says:
"I have run, I have crawled, I have scaled, these city walls, these city walls... but I still haven't found what I'm looking for". so I ended up getting it from amazon.

May 29, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #1,338 of 1,376
I don't consider a post that tries to tell me what my intention is because I use Tidal HD is appropriate. It is one thing to discuss the effect of legal streaming services. Quite another to make it personal. But I'm not the moderator.

May 30, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #1,339 of 1,376
I don't consider a post that tries to tell me what my intention is because I use Tidal HD is appropriate.

No one is trying to tell you what your intention is! I don't know what your intention is, although I suspect it's probably the opposite of "demanding lower quality recordings". What I'm saying and have tried to explain is that regardless of whether or not you realise it and regardless of your intentions, the unavoidable consequence of your (and others) choice is that you are "demanding lower quality recordings"!

G

May 30, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #1,340 of 1,376
Definition of "demand" from The Free Dictionary:

1. To ask for urgently or peremptorily: demand an investigation into the murder; demanding that he leave immediately; demanded to speak to the manager.
2. To claim as just or due: demand repayment of a loan.
3. To ask to be informed of: demanded an explanation for the interruption.
4. To require as useful, just, proper, or necessary; call for: a gem that demands a fine setting.
5. Law
a. To lay legal claim to; claim formally.
b. To ask that (something) be done in accordance with a legal requirement.

May 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #1,341 of 1,376
for what its worth i don't stream because of the quality, not that its bad but hdd is better for me.

May 30, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #1,342 of 1,376
for what its worth i don't stream because of the quality, not that its bad but hdd is better for me.

I'm just an old and lazy "Old Geezer".. I've paid my dues to the artists. I understand the economic impact of streaming services, but as I have tried to say technology is unstoppable and chooses its winners and losers without moral conscience. One can legitimately debate whether consumers who embrace new technology are in anyway morally accountable, but that debate would have to encompass all areas of technological development. The impact of rapid advances in technology, I believe, is at the heart of much political debate today, but of course this is not the place to discuss that.

I understand what you mean about concerns over streaming quality. That's why I use Tidal HD and have come up with my own way of eliminating reliance on USB. But that could get us into an entirely new, and probably unsatisfying, debate )))

May 31, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #1,343 of 1,376
The woman who was the heir of the Winchester rifle fortune atoned by consulting psychics who told her that when she quit adding rooms onto her house she would die. I will consult my crystal ball and tell you that if you listen to streaming music, you will die unless you spend a great deal of money chasing specs beyond the range of human hearing.

May 31, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #1,344 of 1,376
Definition of "demand" from The Free Dictionary: 4. To require as useful, just, proper, or necessary; call for: a gem that demands a fine setting.

You quoted some of the definitions of "demand" and highlighted an inapplicable one! The definition applicable to the context of my posts, which is listed just a few lines below where you conveniently chose to stop quoting from the Free Dictionary. is: "n. ... 5. Economics The desire for goods or services in an economy, measured as the amount people are ready to buy at a given price: Supply should rise to meet demand." - Talk about sophistry!

I understand the economic impact of streaming services, but as I have tried to say technology is unstoppable and chooses its winners and losers without moral conscience.

Of course technology is stoppable! There are countless examples of technologies which have been stopped by consumers simply not creating enough of a demand for them. There are even famous cases of consumers choosing a different, inferior technology and effectively "stopping" the superior technology, VHS vs Betamax for example. You are contributing to the demand for lower quality recordings and you do therefore bare some of the responsibility, just as the consumers of the time bare the responsibility for choosing the lower quality of VHS technology and effectively stopping Betamax technology. Bringing up "moral conscience" is of course a red herring, as it's got nothing to do with morality, lower or higher quality has no baring on morality.

G

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #1,347 of 1,376
The Law of diminishing returns has become an understatement these days.

The problem is people fall for the hype. Even if that last 1% is outside human hearing capabilities, people will still spend 5 figures to get that last 1%. Then rave on about it on the forums. I have been guilty of this as well. A small change due to changing tubes in my amp and woah - amazing! The f*ck have I been smoking?

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #1,348 of 1,376
Well it's end game, night and day, blown away, bliss

Jun 4, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #1,349 of 1,376
Why you delete my post too offense?

Jun 4, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #1,350 of 1,376
I will write it again :p. Took out the so call offense parts jeez.

I agree 110% with you. But man. You have and you used to own every high end headphone out there and then made a rant like this. My goodness grace man. The irony.
The bizarre world it felt like reading your post and looking at your profile. It felt like these companies have cheated you in a deceiving way. By giving you a defective unit every single time or something. But thats not the case at all.

You just went out every month and drop $2000.00 here and there for a ground breaking unit and than complain that these companies like force you at gun-point to buy there next greatest headphone?

If i was in your position and was blessed to drop $2000.00 like candy on these headphones i will be like a little child happy that I have a brand new TOTL toy to play with this month. Not rant.

Your rant sadly shouldn't been you. It should've been me actually or anyone at a middle class level or lower.

Also why don't you you become a charity man?

I like to borrow your LCD-4. Test it out. I will give it back. Why don't you share your toys with others?

PM me. I like to try some of your toys in a respectful listener way.

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back