Ripping SACDs via SPDIF at 176.4 with a PS3
Nov 16, 2009 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

wavoman

Headphoneus Supremus
Here are the details of what I previously reported (with thanks to members jeremyrp and strid3r, plus Yuri at PS3SACD.com, who started this whole thing).

I had been ripping SACDs at 88.2, getting an LPCM bitstream on S/PDIF coax from my Wadia CDP (an AudioPraise Vanity board would be another choice, as would a modded Oppo).

But I wanted more. DSD is exactly 8 x 176.4, so that seems a perfect choice. When converting DSD to an exact multiple of 44.1, there is no interpolation going on inside the down-sampling, only "decimation" (should be called octomation, really -- choosing one bit from every 8). One out of 8 seems better than one out of 9 (to get 88.2) -- for sure hardware can do an 8 bit operation cleanly.

Morevoer, 88.2 is less than 96, and many people seem to think that 96 is the magic point that represents audible improvement (nothing beyond). Furthermore, many SACDs are mastered at 176.4, so in essence you lose nothing by down-converting to this rate. There's also an AES paper that says 176.4 is indistinguishable from true DSD (of course there are also AES papers that say 44.1 redbook is indistinguishable from 96!).

And in truth, I had my heart set on 176.4 for no good reason, and I just wanted to make it happen.

You will need:

1. An older PS3 (60GB will work) with SACD capabilites, set in the Audio set-up menu to downsample to 176.4 over HDMI (note you cannot make this check-box selection stick until you right-arrow to a sub-menu where you confirm that this choice might harm your speakers!). [You can also play with the bitstream options in the Music menu ... see the PS3SACD site for details].

2. An HDMI-to-S/PDIF breakout box (some sources below).

3. Of course, a DAC that can handle this, with a diagostic display so you can confirm 176.4 is happening.

That's it. It just works. I can't explain why nobody has pointed this out before, except possibly that newer PS3's don't have SACD playback, and/or the breakout box is hard to find (but it's not really, and it's cheap)!

The breakout box is sold under several brands, but appears to be made in China by Portta:

Portta

Arrow down until you see "HDMI Audio Splitter" My unit has 2 HDMI's, this one has 4 (my unit is no longer made). Note that the text on the Web site explains my model ("Input could be switched between two HDMI device") right after they say "Input: 4 x HDMI Output: HDMI + SPDIF or COAX(RCA)" So much for keeping your web site up-to-date! The picture would seem to indicate that this unit has IR remote control, and a little DAC for HP output -- my unit does not have these, and they don't mention these in the write-up, so who knows?

They sell these for $60 direct on eBay:

HDMI 4x1 HIFI Switch SPDIF/COXA Stereo HD Audio V1.3b - eBay (item 250523334560 end time Dec-01-09 06:43:56 PST)

Note the eBay picture shows the features mentioned above, but just as on their web site, there is no clear description, although they do mention "Stereo" in addition to coax and toslink ... you could email the seller I guess.

My unit had model number HDMISW2HF, and if you Google that you will see it for sale at a lot of places, $60 or a little more. I got it from SmartVM.com for $84 -- see the price and picture at:

HDMI Switcher 2x1 v1.3b with Separate SPDIF COAX Toslink Audio Output Channel

Under this model it is branded Kanex (see

Kanex HDMI 2x1 Switcher v1.3b HDMISW2HF Separate SPDIF COAX Toslink Audio Output Channel 2x1 HDMI Switcher-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

but it is sold out there) or Apogee:

Apogee HDMI v1.3b 2x1 Switch w/ Separate S/PDIF Coax and Toslink Audio Output - HDMISW2HF, $68.95

($68 but sold out, so see

Apogee (HDMISW2HF) HDMI 2x1 Switcher v1.3b w/ Separate SPDIF COAX Toslink Audio Output Channel - HDMI Switchers - Apo-HDMISW2HF

$84 and in stock. Now Apogee has a U.S. HQ:

Apogee About Us

but shows this model (the one I have) on their web site as out-of-stock.

HDMI Switchers v1.3 Full HD 1080p

You could contact them.

I would try to get the unit I have, since we know it works.

My test CD was the SACD release of Cheap Thrills (Janis Joplin -- Big Brother and the Holding Company) ... an iconic album of my generation. There is no redbook layer on this CD. I A/B'd the 176.4 LPCM bitstream with the best redbook version, the Japanese pressing from the '90s.

The difference is striking, in favor of the SACD. Maybe it's better mastering, who knows. Track 5 "Turtle Blues" is the acid test -- the breaking glass will amaze you on the SACD. And when Janis says "I once had a daddy" (she means a sugar daddy) you hear the two d-sounds in "daddy" dripping with such emotion ... you realize that Janis was not the kind of girl your mother would want you to date.

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 32
Just a quick one - which DAC did you use?
And while I'm here - how did it compare to the optical out from SACD on the PS3?

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are the details of what I previously reported (with thanks to members jeremyrp and strid3r, plus Yuri at PS3SACD.com, who started this whole thing).

[ snip ]

congrats that you've made it work. i've been doing this now for about two years, using various oppo players into a variety of units which can extract HDMI audio. most stable at 24/192 have both been from atlona (AT-HDMI-DVI and AT-HD570, both absolutely confimed (bitscope) to pass 24/192).

use search both here at HF and over at hoffman forums on posts by me (emmodad) back into 2007 containing terms like "atlona" "HDCD","chinese" and you will find info on other units (and on interactions with some of the product and board manufacturers, ie SH Forums - View Single Post - No HDMI Inputs On My Pre-Amp)

the units you have linked (simply guessing from the product's physical layout) appear that they could be ones which use an ODM "HDMI Audio Extractor" board from chinese company Grandbeing, who as about 5 months ago had confirmed that they have tested and confirmed audio extraction of their board only up to 24/96 -- they had no test equipment setup to check 176.4 or 192.

IOW, they may not have tested/specified the board for operation 192, but you may be lucky and it may be working at that frequency. But it's possibly not guaranteed, ie realize if you want to use this for capturing audio to storage that you may have errors.

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 32
Congrats to wavoman, that you finally made it happen ...
wink.gif

(and to emmodad of course - for his contributions on that case)

Now, would it be possible to record a snippet from one of your SACDs to a FLAV or WavPack file and post it for download, so that we could listen and see for ourselfes how that works out sonically
A 1 minute piece should do it for a first look ...

Thanks again for your efforts .... and ... me looking for a PS3 ....
wink.gif

Cheers
Harald

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 32
Interesting, but I would be quite worried about the jitter/noise introduced by those HDMi/SPDIF boxes, as well as by the quality of the downsample of the DSD flow to 176.4kHz PCM in the PS3...

For the time beeing, I will keep ripping my SACD at 88.2kHz with my Sony SACD modified with teh Vanity module. I feel the Sony is really a fantastic transport, especially with the upgraded SPDIF output.

Now the question is: do you really perceive differences between 88.2kHz and 176.4kHz... My DAC can't handle above 96kHz, so for me, it is a none issue, but could be interesting for others....

Thanks

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 32
Hi shamu144!

Jitter isn`t a problem as long you keep the data in the (original - speek no SRC`d) form.
The only problem could arise if the jitter gets too high, so that the receiver (soundcard) couldn`t cope with it. Then you will have glitches, which might be audibly.

I also use a vanity board (Pioneer DV656A), but it`s frequency response is limited (digital filtered) at about 32 khz. So it might be interesting to use a simple PS3 based system to compare the results
Even if I would downsample (with software) from 176,4 to 88,2 for conviniance - and DAC limitations.

If I could get a PS3 in the next weeks, I would also try this monitor (which is needed anyway - I don`t have a HDCP compliant one now):

ASUS VH242H
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
which sports HDMI input and a S/PDIF coax output ...

Cheers
Harald

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, but I would be quite worried about the jitter/noise introduced by those HDMi/SPDIF boxes, as well as by the quality of the downsample of the DSD flow to 176.4kHz PCM in the PS3...

1/ re jitter: use a DAC product with known-exemplary jitter handling performance (ie weiss, benchmark). ps3 > atlona > weiss DAC2 > firewire > server is a good storage workflow.

2/ re quality of DSD > 176.4 downsample: algorithm used for this in ps3 was developed IIRC by engineer(s?) from sony's DSD algortihm development team.. maybe not saracon or izotope, but most certainly the sony folk had some clue as to what they were doing....

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #8 of 32
While I can see how the PS3 would benefit from a good "inhouse" algorithm to downconvert DSD to 176.4, I still have serious doubts regarding jitter in such a set up...

What about the internal clock quality of the PS3, especially when it travels through an HDMI port and HDMI/SPDIF converter, whith very little investigations done in this field (jitter HDMI) so far...

However, for those who already own a PS3 able to output 176.4kHz through HDMI, then this is a no brainer. By the way, I believe some OPPO players are also able to ouput 176.4 through HDMI, and it should just work as well.

But if you start from scratch, I am not sure this solution would be optimal...

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 32
If nothing else, this would give me a great excuse to finally add a PS3 to my collection
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

While I can see how the PS3 would benefit from a good "inhouse" algorithm to downconvert DSD to 176.4, I still have serious doubts regarding jitter in such a set up...

What about the internal clock quality of the PS3, especially when it travels through an HDMI port and HDMI/SPDIF converter, whith very little investigations done in this field (jitter HDMI) so far...

However, for those who already own a PS3 able to output 176.4kHz through HDMI, then this is a no brainer. By the way, I believe some OPPO players are also able to ouput 176.4 through HDMI, and it should just work as well.

But if you start from scratch, I am not sure this solution would be optimal...

well, you might wish to try it, it certainly works. don't know of many other cost-effective solutions to get high-quality LPCM conversion from DSD...

1/ atlona HD-570 performs reclocking of the audio and video data.

2/ several oppos (980H, BDP-83) can output LPCM up to 192 through HDMI. however, LPCM-converted DSD (ie from SACD) has max of 24/88.2. this is a property of the mediatek processor, ie not "oppo's" limitation.

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 32
I have to agree that this solution seems certainly cost effective.

By the way, how do you rip easily 176.4 wav to your hard drive... I understood that wav files in windows are limited to 4GB, and many recordings in 24/176.4 will go beyond this limit.

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick one - which DAC did you use?
And while I'm here - how did it compare to the optical out from SACD on the PS3?

The new Matrix DAC, much hyped here and on eBay for about 15 minutes. I used it only 'cause of the big bright display!

I never tried the optical out on the PS3 while playing SACDs -- it is limited to 44.1 or (with some firmware versions) 48. I should have tested this too, along with the redbook version of the CD ... you are right, this comparison shoud have been made!

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmodad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...i've been doing this now for about two years, using various oppo players into a variety of units which can extract HDMI audio. most stable at 24/192 ...

Quote:

...I believe some OPPO players are also able to ouput 176.4 through HDMI, and it should just work as well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmodad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...several oppos (980H, BDP-83) can output LPCM up to 192 through HDMI. however, LPCM-converted DSD (ie from SACD) has max of 24/88.2. this is a property of the mediatek processor, ie not "oppo's" limitation.

emmodad and shamu, thanks for all the great info! You have both seen far beyond me on this issue, and I appreciate all your comments, helping me understand even more.

I am a tad confused on Oppo. I would have thought that Oppo would max out at 88.2 PCM from DSD, and Oppo confirmed that for me. I think you are all agreeing with this, yes? The fact that Oppo can do 176.4 PCM over HDMI in general is interesting but not in play here since Oppo cannot convert DSD to 176.4, correct?

Again, thanks for all the great posts!

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by synfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...me looking for a PS3

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If nothing else, this would give me a great excuse to finally add a PS3 to my collection
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, the PS3 is a lot of fun, and a great value for the money.

Be sure to check PS3SACD.com and pick up a used unit that does it all:
  • Blu-Ray playback
  • SACD playback
  • PS2 games in hardware, not software emulation

I guess they all do Blu-Ray by definition, but not the other 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back