Ripping and organising music on a pc, but with what?
Jul 23, 2008 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Narcosynthesis

New Head-Fier
I am currently using an older Sony HD1 which is becoming unreliable through age and use, so it is time for an upgrade (most likely a Sony A829). The problem is that with the HD1 I was locked into sonicstage and atrac3+ (with hindsight, maybe a silly decision, but at the time looked to be the best option) so I will now need to rerip all my music and have it organised on my computer somehow for listening there.

The question is, what programmes to use?

I have only really gotten as far as probably using mp3 recorded at 128kbs VBR for a good balance of sound versus filespace and pretty much universal compatibility, so something to record that nice and easily, and also (separately?) something to have a computer based catalouge of music that can be accessed and played using the computer.

Any recommendations?

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 16
I have tried most alternatives out there and have landed on two applications.
* Max - For ripping and encoding audio files from CD. Support most audio codecs out there, including MP3 (using LAME).
* iTunes - For organizing and playback of audio files. I find it easy to use, and with a quite powerful library.

So these are my recommendations.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 16
I use EAC to rip to flac (lossless compression, used as an archive and also backed up to a second hard drive) then foobar2000 to convert flac to mp3 (LAME V0).

I take a copy of the MP3 files to my laptop (not enough hard drive space to store all the flac files and in ABX testing I couldn't differentiate between V0 MP3 and flac) and use foobar2000 to apply replay gain tags so that when played through foobar2000 the sound levels are consistent.

The "original" MP3 is adjusted with MP3GAIN to set the sound levels for portable playback and then imported into MediaMonkey.

I use foobar2000 as the catalogue for playing music from the laptop and MediaMonkey as the catalogue for selecting files to synch to my MP3 player from the desktop (all "desktop" files are on USB hard drives which can be linked to either desktop or laptop)

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Narcosynthesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently using an older Sony HD1 which is becoming unreliable through age and use, so it is time for an upgrade (most likely a Sony A829). The problem is that with the HD1 I was locked into sonicstage and atrac3+ (with hindsight, maybe a silly decision, but at the time looked to be the best option) so I will now need to rerip all my music and have it organised on my computer somehow for listening there.

The question is, what programmes to use?

I have only really gotten as far as probably using mp3 recorded at 128kbs VBR for a good balance of sound versus filespace and pretty much universal compatibility, so something to record that nice and easily, and also (separately?) something to have a computer based catalouge of music that can be accessed and played using the computer.

Any recommendations?

I'm also a (current) Atrac user, and have settled on the Sony A829 as a DAP. All of my music is ripped directly from CDs I own, so I see no need to retain the files on my PC after they've been transferred (other than convenience). Even though I maintain decent quality sound in my PCs, I've never used them as a music sound source, so that's obviously a factor. If 128k is fine for you, you can actually stay with the included (but basic & restrictive) Sony Manager. If you're on a Windows computer, I'd recommend WMP which will do it all (ripping, organizing, tagging) and you merely sync your device to update it. I've settled on the somewhat non-standard AAC350/VBR (sounds closest to A352 to me...). dbPoweramp rips and tags at that codec speed so I use it, and simply transfer with explorer.
As a DAP, I'm very satisfied with the A829, but I'd recommend the A729 as the Bluetooth features aren't very useful from an SQ standpoint. I've begrudgingly given in that the SQ on the A829 is on par with my Atrac gear. The ergonomics and convenience of the A829 are slowly winning me over however as it is sleek, sexy, and compact. The only annoying things: gapped playback, and AAC350 effectively halves my 16Gb capacity (a352 takes less than half the space comparatively). Other than that, it's one of the best. Here's hoping for some firmware updates. Cheers.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 16
I use dbpoweramp reference ($36). I find it much easier to use than EAC, and it also provides excellent error-checked accurate rips, as well as a subscription to AMG for CD/track info, including album art. It is highly configurable and will simultaneously convert to any of a wide range of formats (MP3, FLAC, OGG, ...). For organizing, as well as accurate ripping, it's worth the cost to me. I do not believe WMP provides consistently accurate rips.

I also recommend you convert to a lossless format for archive purposes, so you don't have to go through this process again in the future. I recently had to re-rip all my CDs cuz I didn't do it right the first time, and I now have an archive of FLAC files (which I use as sources when listening at my desktop), as well as a collection of LAME MP3 VBR V0 files for portable use. This is extremely easy to accomplish with dbpoweramp, and I can also create different conversions (eg, lower bit-rate MP3s for my kids' 512MB players) from the FLAC files with no loss of quality.

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 16
As mentioned iTunes is a pretty powerful & versatile place to rip & organize your music . If you decide to get the Sony A829 you might also want to try using WMP11 as the 829 will sync right up with what you've ripped into it. Also as mentioned , regardless of what program you use always try to rip to a lossless format to your computer & then convert to a compressed format(or not) when you transfer the music to your player.

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 16
I'd perhaps use dbpoweramp, except it doesn't work with AccurateRip or .cue files[track/gap location for precise burning] or doesn't create rip info text files.

Exact Audio Copy V0.99 prebeta 3 from 28. July 2007

EAC extraction logfile from 29. May 2008, 18:26

Muse / Origin Of Symmetry

Used drive : PLEXTOR DVDR PX-800A Adapter: 0 ID: 0

Read mode : Secure
Utilize accurate stream : Yes
Defeat audio cache : Yes
Make use of C2 pointers : No

Read offset correction : 48
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
Null samples used in CRC calculations : Yes
Used interface : Installed external ASPI interface
Gap handling : Appended to previous track

Used output format : User Defined Encoder
Selected bitrate : 320 kBit/s
Quality : High
Add ID3 tag : No
Command line compressor : C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\Flac1.2\flac.exe
Additional command line options : -V -8 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

TOC of the extracted CD

Track | Start | Length | Start sector | End sector
---------------------------------------------------------
1 | 0:00.00 | 6:03.32 | 0 | 27256
2 | 6:03.32 | 4:12.35 | 27257 | 46191
3 | 10:15.67 | 6:20.60 | 46192 | 74751
4 | 16:36.52 | 3:21.28 | 74752 | 89854
5 | 19:58.05 | 3:39.60 | 89855 | 106339
6 | 23:37.65 | 7:19.22 | 106340 | 139286
7 | 30:57.12 | 3:38.48 | 139287 | 155684
8 | 34:35.60 | 4:20.00 | 155685 | 175184
9 | 38:55.60 | 4:47.40 | 175185 | 196749
10 | 43:43.25 | 3:19.57 | 196750 | 211731
11 | 47:03.07 | 4:38.08 | 211732 | 232589

Track 1

Filename H:\FLAC Music\Muse\New Folder (2)\01 - New Born.wav

Pre-gap length 0:00:02.00

Peak level 99.8 %
Track quality 100.0 %
Test CRC E4200B66
Copy CRC E4200B66
Accurately ripped (confidence 59) [3DF0B6FF]
Copy OK...

...Track 11

Filename H:\FLAC Music\Muse\New Folder (2)\11 - Megalomania.wav

Pre-gap length 0:00:01.78

Peak level 94.5 %
Track quality 100.0 %
Test CRC 94B4B740
Copy CRC 94B4B740
Accurately ripped (confidence 56) [C3061CF1]
Copy OK

All tracks accurately ripped

No errors occurred

End of status report

'confidence 59' means 59 other people had identical rips to mine...i.e. mine is perfect or 59 other rips are identically erroneus[!].

Is your username Narcosynthesis, in reference to the superb Nevermore? I love them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 16
x2 on Andrew Jones' post -- he nailed it perfectly IMO. Just four small things to add:

1. Be sure to use EAC in "secure" (accurate) mode.

2. Some PMPs will play lossless files (FLAC, WAV) so for very critical, layered music you might want to consider that (make the MP3 anyway, just so your library is complete).

3. If hard drive space is not an issue, WAV files could be used instead of FLAC (no compression with WAV). It's a more universal format in the non-MAC world, although FLAC is showing up everywhere lately.

4. For current pop, i.e. music without long-term staying power, consider buying only the MP3. Amazon's 256K bit rate MP3's are fantastic SQ-wise and cheap.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 16
EAC for ripping is given, but I prefer to organise the actual files rather than working through a program.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EAC for ripping is given, but I prefer to organise the actual files rather than working through a program.

Or do both. Organize the actual files in corresponding folder, and use playback software with a powerful library in addition.
Thats what I do, and find very useful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 16
Heh, whoops dbpoweramp does work with AccurateRip, I have used it.

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 16
EAC seems like a sure bet then, the further question being do I need to get extra codecs to enable it to rip to the VBR mp3? It is mentioned in the faq's for EAC that I will need a codec of some form to allow me to rip to mp3.

It would be nice to rip everything as flac as a backup, but having 250+ cds ripped to flac sounds like a fair drain on the hard drive space. Ripping to mp3 seems a safe enough bet as far as compatibility is concerned with a future player, and I do always have the physical cds if needed (annoying to rerip everything, but as I am about to prove, easy enough to do
wink.gif
)

On the a729 - it would be perfect as bluetooth is a pointless extra to me, but it is unavailable in the UK, so it looks like I will be paying a little extra to buy an a829 locally...

Cheers for the help so far, it is greatly appreciated.

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #13 of 16
You'll need the latest Lame.exe. Put it in a folder, like EAC/Codecs

While setting up EAC, direct it to there.

Use jiggfellz set-up guide, there is a newer EAC now, V0.99[use that], but set-up is the same. Tick the 'AccurateRip' box.

Edit - About 10mins for a clean rip. If you really don't care about the time it takes, there are a few more things you can do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back