RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/headphones/tips Ranking list, Music list)
Sep 16, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #1,156 of 1,219
Super old bump here but this paper is pretty awesome thanks. Learned a lot.
:thumbsup:

On a different subject, @RikudouGoku can you talk a little about how you reached your target curve (especially with it being so far from Harmon specifically in the bass)? Mine seems to be very similar, your recs have helped me quite a bit.
I mentioned it a long time ago. But it was basically by taking my 2 favorite iems by tonality that I had back then, the LZ A7 using pop-red mode and the Sony XBA-N3 and combining what I wanted from them. (N3 treble and A7 bass.)

graph - 2022-09-16T144603.054.png

Then little by little manually adjust the target by using PEQ on around 5-10 iems and see how I liked it.

As for the amount of bass, its mostly just my preference that I have the amount it got. But its also backed up by the fact that in live music, you hear a lot more bass than you might expect.

Dec 31, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #1,157 of 1,219
new-year-ga9e140ee8_1920.jpg

Well, 2022 is now over and I wish you all a happy new year. While I have certainly not been active here much for the year, I have been working hard on my RikuBuds earbuds as I believe most of you should know. As I have pretty much stepped away from reviewing products in favor of making my own (RikuBuds) I have still been following the chifi world. With that in mind, let’s take a look at the prediction I made for 2022 a year ago.

“Prediction for 2022: We are going to see more budget brands learning how to tune, thus forcing the higher priced brands to try harder or lose their standing. More iems with multi-DD setups will come out, be it multi-DD hybrids or standalone multi-DDs.”

First of all, are more budget brands learning how to tune? Absolutely correct, we got a ton of new iems that are pretty damn cheap but also graphs very well. Moondrop Chu, 7Hz Zero, Kiwi Ears Cadenza, Tin Hifi C2, Tangzu Wan'er… and probably some more I missed that are all pretty Harman/Aria-like. It is probably to the extent that some people are getting sick of seeing the same iem being released with minor changes. But well, every brand wants a piece of the cake so that is not a big surprise. Don’t fix what is not broken, after all.

What about the multi-DD setups then? That was also true, for example, the Dunu Vulkan, Shanling ME800, HarmonicDyne Devil, Truthear Zero, QKZ x HBB Khan, and the Campfire Audio Trifecta. Although not as many as those Harman/Aria-like iems we got. The Zero and the Khan standing out as you they also have a very Variations-like tuning that you can know experience for a much cheaper cost.

However, I did not predict the Planar boom we got, more specifically, the combination of planar and budget. While we got plenty of brands trying to get in and use the 7Hz Timeless driver/hype, like the Letshuoer S12/S12 Pro/Z12, Tangzu Wu Zetian/heyday, Raptgo Hook-X, 7Hz Dioko and Dunu Talos. There were also a few brands that tried to push the limits of price. From the new SPD drivers used by Kinera in their Celest (sister company) Gumiho/Pandamon and TRN XuanWu, to the more traditional planar driver used in the KZ PR1/Pro and the CCA PLA13.

There was also the Collab boom I missed, from Zeos, HBB/BGGAR, and Crinacle. To the extent that people are getting burnt out on collab iems and Crinacle even released one more discreetly as a social experiment (7Hz Zero).

Now then, for my prediction for 2023: I expect that there will be brands that will focus on refining Planars, via new drivers and/or shell/acoustic tuning. While more competitors to the current KZ, Kinera and TRN budget planars should appear. The other major prediction I got is that we will see the rise of DSP usage to either complement their tuning or just tune it purely by DSP (we already got some DSP iems like the Moondrop Quarks DSP and upcoming ones like the Moondrop JIU and the Tanchjim Zero DSP). Although since DSP iems also mean you wont be able to use your owns sources, I only expect them to be in the budget range (at most up to 100 usd). A minor prediction is that we might be see some kilobuck iem using the new MEMS driver from xMEMS, maybe in combination with a DD woofer as I see them more like a tweeter driver than full-range (even though they are marketed at being a full range driver).

https://xmems.com/blog/solid-state-...ra-high-resolution-mems-speakers-has-arrived/

Dec 31, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #1,158 of 1,219
While MEMS driver are very probable thing, my bet is on more affordable AMT based IEMs. Just like planar IEMs were expensive and then cheaper sets appeared, I expect some cheaper alternatives for Goldplanar GLAMT16 in 2023. I also find it very likely that we will see some competition for Moondrop Quarks DSP.

Regardless if any of these predictions will come true, it is undoubtely a great time to be an audio gear enthusiast.

Happy new year everyone!

Dec 31, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #1,159 of 1,219

Well, 2022 is now over and I wish you all a happy new year. While I have certainly not been active here much for the year, I have been working hard on my RikuBuds earbuds as I believe most of you should know. As I have pretty much stepped away from reviewing products in favor of making my own (RikuBuds) I have still been following the chifi world. With that in mind, let’s take a look at the prediction I made for 2022 a year ago.

“Prediction for 2022: We are going to see more budget brands learning how to tune, thus forcing the higher priced brands to try harder or lose their standing. More iems with multi-DD setups will come out, be it multi-DD hybrids or standalone multi-DDs.”

First of all, are more budget brands learning how to tune? Absolutely correct, we got a ton of new iems that are pretty damn cheap but also graphs very well. Moondrop Chu, 7Hz Zero, Kiwi Ears Cadenza, Tin Hifi C2, Tangzu Wan'er… and probably some more I missed that are all pretty Harman/Aria-like. It is probably to the extent that some people are getting sick of seeing the same iem being released with minor changes. But well, every brand wants a piece of the cake so that is not a big surprise. Don’t fix what is not broken, after all.

What about the multi-DD setups then? That was also true, for example, the Dunu Vulkan, Shanling ME800, HarmonicDyne Devil, Truthear Zero, QKZ x HBB Khan, and the Campfire Audio Trifecta. Although not as many as those Harman/Aria-like iems we got. The Zero and the Khan standing out as you they also have a very Variations-like tuning that you can know experience for a much cheaper cost.

However, I did not predict the Planar boom we got, more specifically, the combination of planar and budget. While we got plenty of brands trying to get in and use the 7Hz Timeless driver/hype, like the Letshuoer S12/S12 Pro/Z12, Tangzu Wu Zetian/heyday, Raptgo Hook-X, 7Hz Dioko and Dunu Talos. There were also a few brands that tried to push the limits of price. From the new SPD drivers used by Kinera in their Celest (sister company) Gumiho/Pandamon and TRN XuanWu, to the more traditional planar driver used in the KZ PR1/Pro and the CCA PLA13.

There was also the Collab boom I missed, from Zeos, HBB/BGGAR, and Crinacle. To the extent that people are getting burnt out on collab iems and Crinacle even released one more discreetly as a social experiment (7Hz Zero).

Now then, for my prediction for 2023: I expect that there will be brands that will focus on refining Planars, via new drivers and/or shell/acoustic tuning. While more competitors to the current KZ, Kinera and TRN budget planars should appear. The other major prediction I got is that we will see the rise of DSP usage to either complement their tuning or just tune it purely by DSP (we already got some DSP iems like the Moondrop Quarks DSP and upcoming ones like the Moondrop JIU and the Tanchjim Zero DSP). Although since DSP iems also mean you wont be able to use your owns sources, I only expect them to be in the budget range (at most up to 100 usd). A minor prediction is that we might be see some kilobuck iem using the new MEMS driver from xMEMS, maybe in combination with a DD woofer as I see them more like a tweeter driver than full-range (even though they are marketed at being a full range driver).

https://xmems.com/blog/solid-state-...ra-high-resolution-mems-speakers-has-arrived/

Happy new year bro and hope for bigger business for your Rikubuds for 2003! Miss your input and reviews on forums!

Anyway yes I think the planar hype will just continue in 2023. I never thought I would see the day when planar iems go below $100usd. It is quite amazing in just a year, the planar tech became more affordable and mainstream, previously it was an exotic driver that was too costly with a high barrier of entry.

Planars IEMs generally bring superb technicalities and transients to the table, but I do think they ain't the finished article yet. Generally the planar timbre is a bit artificial (possible due to the too fast transients and lack of decay), and planar IEMs seem to have an issue with bass excursion compared to DD bass. Perhaps manufacturers will use a DD bass with a planar handling the rest of the frequencies. Might be a killer setup that way?

So yeah the planar tech will probably be more refined this coming year, prices might drop and consumers benefit too.

The collabs and harman sidegrade spams are getting a bit out of hand IMHO. I guess consumers are also learning, after getting a few sidegrades with minimal value add, they will probably let their wallet do the talking.

There were quite a few $20 IEMs that gave superb price to performance ratio this year. Maybe we might see $10 champions?

China is stuck in a major covid explosion currently, they recently opened up, when prior to this they were pursuing a zero covid policy. So much of their population are covid naive or unvaccinated/using possibly less effective vaccines. A lot of their hospital system is currently overwhelmed and supply chain and logistic issues are hitting them hard as a lot of people are sick or factories are closed.

A few orders I made from china are currently on hold with no ETA. I think this might set ChIFI back for a few weeks at least, with regards to R&D and releases.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #1,160 of 1,219
Planars IEMs generally bring superb technicalities and transients to the table, but I do think they ain't the finished article yet. Generally the planar timbre is a bit artificial (possible due to the too fast transients and lack of decay), and planar IEMs seem to have an issue with bass excursion compared to DD bass. Perhaps manufacturers will use a DD bass with a planar handling the rest of the frequencies. Might be a killer setup hat way?
Yeah, DD woofer + full range Planar would be nice if implemented well.

China is stuck in a major covid explosion currently, they recently opened up, when prior to this they were pursuing a zero covid policy. So much of their population are covid naive or unvaccinated/using possibly less effective vaccines. A lot of their hospital system is currently overwhelmed and supply chain and logistic issues are hitting them hard as a lot of people are sick or factories are closed.

A few orders I made from china are currently on hold with no ETA. I think this might set ChIFI back for a few weeks at least, with regards to R&D and releases.
So far it hasnt affected the OEM that I know and get drivers for my buds from though. But yeah, heard its pretty crazy over there...

Dec 31, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #1,161 of 1,219
Happy new year bro and hope for bigger business for your Rikubuds for 2003!
2003 is gonna be amazing! I wonder how IEM tech will look like in 20 years from now? Some bloke told me Planar IEMs will rule the world.

Jokes aside, happy 2023 to everyone!

Apr 6, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #1,162 of 1,219
IMG_20230406_164520.jpg

IMG_20230406_164717.jpg

IMG_20230406_164821.jpg

IMG_20230406_165017.jpg

IMG_20230406_165104.jpg

IMG_20230406_165118.jpg

IMG_20230406_165226.jpg

IMG_20230406_165308.jpg

IMG_20230406_165401.jpg

graph - 2023-04-06T175129.895.png

graph - 2023-04-06T175326.824.png

graph - 2023-04-06T175047.997.png

Anyone missed my reviews? Well, at least one will be coming, this Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite that I just got sent as a review unit from Linsoul. While I will save the juicy stuff for my review, I can definitely say that I understand the hype this iem has gotten recently but I will also mention that since this iem has zero venting, you need to be aware of pressure build up if you are sensitive (like I am...) to it.

Oh and I also have the 7hz Legato coming soon.

Apr 6, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #1,163 of 1,219
Your loyal reader is here as always 😉

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #1,164 of 1,219
Well, some filler before my Orchestra Lite review.

Superlux HD 681 EVO in stock with the leather (fake) pads sounds like a much bassier KSC75 but also peakier as well as more treble, with worse timbre. Ends up warmer overall but more fatiguing due to the treble. Too bright for me and the Koss trio are better than the Evo in this configuration. Bright V-shaped

However, you can do a very simple mod, just put 3 layers of Felt (cut the 4 corners and it will fit as it is) and the peaky treble is tamed a lot along with a reduction in quantity but still retains some of the stock characteristics. (you can stack more felt if u still need it warmer as well.) V-shaped

Recommended if you are going to mod it, if not, stick with koss.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003267422863.html

(felt mod also gives u L/R identification through color)

1681318881963.png

Apr 14, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #1,165 of 1,219
Apr 18, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #1,166 of 1,219
7Hz Legato (mini review): Starting with the most boring part, the mids, the upper-mid gain itself is pretty neutral for me BUT due to the BIG bass quantity, it is recessed and clarity is lacking. Lower-mids (male vocals) are worse though, as it is more recessed and lacking even more clarity. Not for vocal lovers.

Treble, my opinion on this is mixed. While normally, this would be a pretty well-tuned treble and I would praise it quite a bit for being done by DDs, that has a pretty good clarity while being pretty smooth (except for the 6.5k treble peak which is a pretty big peak for my ears and is a big issue on some tracks) along with some upper-treble air, making the tonal balance pretty good. The issue with this here though, is that this is aimed for bassheads (more on the bass later) and with this type of tuning, you would really expect/want a warmer, less fatiguing and definitely not a peak at 6.5k so that you can enjoy the bass to the fullest and/or raise the volume without being concerned about the treble. This issue I have with the treble stems almost solely from the 6.5k peak which CAN be FIXED with a simple PEQ filter there. (hz: 6500, Q: 3, gain: -4db)

Lastly the bread and butter of this set, the BASS. This is unmistakably a bass tuned to be enjoyed ALMOST SOLELY by bassheads, I say ALMOST because the bass is NOT a very dirty bass, as in, it is NOT a very slow nor loose bass that bleeds everywhere, due to the decently tight and fast bass (if you consider the quantity it has). The bass texture and extension on the other hand, is a bit lacking (for a basshead set) and the massive quantity is most likely there to compensate for that issue. The downside with this type of bass though, is that I feel that this combined with the treble issue from above, means that this set is NOT aimed at bassheads 100%, but is also tuned so it can be used by non-bassheads. Problem with this is that I feel that they are kind of missing the point of both targets, as in, a basshead would want a warmer and perhaps even more bass quantity while a non-basshead would still find this to be too bassy and too warm for them.

Coherency overall is good, but you can spot some differences between the bass/lower-mids and upper-mids/treble, as the lower part´s note weight is thicker than the upper part, the contrast between them being the factor for it being a little bit incoherent. Akin to speakers, with different drivers doing different areas of the FR. Timbre is DD-tier, nothing really wrong but nothing exceptional.

Comparisons.

Ikko OH10 (high density tuning foams, Tanchjim filter):
graph - 2023-04-16T173736.096.png

Treble is a lot airier on the OH10 as well as cleaner while being less peaky and more dynamic range. Upper mid gain is similar but thanks to the cleaner bass shelf, the OH10 has more forward vocals as well as being much cleaner than the Legato. Male vocals also fare similarly with the OH10 being the one with better quality and more forward. Mid-bass on the Legato has more quantity, is a lot looser and slower and lacks a lot of the texture that the OH10 has, note-weight is a lot thicker on the Legato overall. Sub-bass quantity is a lot more elevated on the Legato which makes it rumble a lot more, but the OH10 is tighter, faster, more textured and also extends lower (helped by the much higher density of the OH10 shell making the resonant frequencies lower). Technicality wise, the OH10 is a big step above the Legato in everything from separation, soundstage to resolution. Timbre is a bit better on the Legato though, similar coherency though. Overall, the Legato is an iem that is much more of a basshead iem than the OH10, as the OH10 is still tuned pretty balanced in comparison, and the bass quantity in comparison is quite tame (although much higher quality). So, if you want a basshead iem, the Legato is the one I would go for but otherwise the OH10 wins in pretty much all other factors.

Sony XBA-N3:
graph - 2023-04-16T173756.658.png

Treble on the N3 is a lot airier, brighter and cleaner than the Legato and also a bit better dynamic range. Upper mids are more forward on the N3, cleaner and brighter. Male vocals are more forward and much cleaner and more detailed on the N3. Mid-bass quantity is higher on the Legato but also looser, slower and less textured. Sub-bass quantity is a lot higher on the Legato but also slower, looser and less textured, extension is similar. Technicalities are better on the N3. Timbre is a bit better on the Legato but coherency is better on the N3. Overall, the Legato is the more basshead so if that is what you prefer the Legato will do that better, otherwise the N3 is a lot better.

Sony MDR-EX800st (taped):
graph - 2023-04-16T175015.811.png

Treble on the Legato is a lot better tuned, as it is a lot smoother and warmer although the EX800st is actually airier sounding despite that upper-treble void on graph. Upper-mids are a bit more forward on the 800st, cleaner and brighter overall. Male vocals are also a bit more forward on the 800st but sounds more natural on the Legato (due to the better treble tuning). Mid-bass quantity is similar but Legato is much looser and slower while the texture on the 800st is leagues ahead. Sub-bass quantity is a lot higher on the Legato but also much slower and looser, 800st extends lower and also has a ton more texture. Technicalities, aside from the stage (where the 800st is MUCH bigger) the 800st is just a bit better overall, but worse timbre due to the poor treble tuning. Overall, as basshead iems, the 800st is the better one in terms of bass but worse treble (which can be fixed with PEQ). If you want to use PEQ to fix the issues with their respective treble, the 800st ends up being the better one overall even as a basshead iem, and if you do not want a basshead iem, then the 800s with PEQ (to my target) is a MUCH better iem (my endgame).

Conclusion: The Legato is an iem that is aiming to be for bassheads mostly, but it is also trying to not align too much towards that side with its bass not being too loose nor slow along with the 6.5k treble peak. This is however a downside to it, as I find that the 6.5k peak is too much and causes the treble overall to sound peakier than a basshead iem should, since you cannot ramp up the volume due to it. And while it is true that the tonal balance is not too warm (due to the aforementioned peak) it is still not an iem I would recommend for non-bassheads as the bass quantity is definitely in the basshead zone. Overall, at this price area, there really are not that many sets with this much bass quantity, so if you are a basshead this is kind of the only set you can pick (afaik) but as long as you are fine with the 6.5k peak (or can simply PEQ to remove it) and a quantity over quality bass, then this is the basshead set I would recommend. However, if you can go above this price, then get yourself the Sony MDR-EX800st and block (with tape or blutack) that vent (or PEQ) and that is the much superior basshead set. Rank: B, Review score: 4/5 (not lower score because of a lack of alternatives)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #1,168 of 1,219
Apr 22, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #1,169 of 1,219
Apr 27, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #1,170 of 1,219
graph - 2023-04-27T180243.468.png

Simgot EA500 (red nozzle)Dunu Titan S
Sub-bass==
Mid-bass+-
Lower-mids+-
Upper-mids==
Treble+-
Upper-treble-+
Soundstage-+
Imaging-+
Separation==
Macro-detail==
Micro-detail==
Timbre+-

Fairly even technically but the EA500 edges out in tonality and timbre overall a bit more as it is closer to my preferences. Both serve the same purpose to me though as they are both targeted at acoustic/vocal, OST/classical music. Just depends on if you prefer a leaner/thinner-note-weight or not, if you do the Titan S is your pick, otherwise the EA500 will be better if you prefer some mid-bass/thicker-note-weight.

graph - 2023-04-27T180259.875.png

Simgot EA500 (red nozzle)Moondrop Kato (silver nozzle)
Sub-bass+-
Mid-bass+-
Lower-mids+-
Upper-mids+-
Treble+-
Upper-treble==
Soundstage+-
Imaging+-
Separation+-
Macro-detail+-
Micro-detail+-
Timbre+-

Pure murder.

graph - 2023-04-27T180312.054.png

EA500 (red nozzle)Oxygen
Sub-bass+-
Mid-bass-+
Lower-mids+-
Upper-mids-+
Treble-+
Upper-treble-+
Soundstage-+
Imaging-+
Separation-+
Macro-detail-+
Micro-detail-+
Timbre==

Oxygen is the better iem but the EA500 can be likened to a budget Oxygen that is warmer.

Overall, the EA500 is a balanced sounding iem with excellent timbre and at this price is a very solid pick and pretty versatile I say even though I would use it mainly for OST/vocal music. While I don’t think it has anything truly special to warrant extraordinary hype, I do think this is a great pick for those that do not have many iems or maybe even as a first iem as it is doing a lot of things correct and nothing fatally wrong.

(Kato demoted to A- from A)

Oh and I joined the cool kids club with this.

1682611165898.png

1682611172702.png

1682611190531.png

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32842588479.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back