RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/headphones/tips Ranking list, Music list)
Oct 23, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #511 of 1,219
The reviews on the A7 seem to praise the bass. Describing the bass depends very much on your filter choice. With the gold filter the bass is elevated and you might like that. I like the overall profile of the sound but frankly I would not single out the bass; its more the sum of the parts for this unit. But I am deliberately not tuning it for bass alone.

There are more usable filters than on the FLC8D with the A7. At least three of the five filters are viable though I focus on the red and the black. I for one find the bass to be present but not overbearing or overly pervasive with those. With gold there is a harder bass hit, at least to my ears. If you want bass you might look into units that have planars. For a brief period I had the Tri i3 which is a power hungry partial planar. That was a bass monster. After a while I found that annoying but others might not agree.

I actually am a huge fan of the bass profile of the FLC8D; there is a certain resolving nature to its bass that I find engaging. An upright bass on jazz from the 50s and 60s (think Miles Davis; Charles Mingus, Bill Evans Trio) sounds like its right there in your living room.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #512 of 1,219
The reviews on the A7 seem to praise the bass. Describing the bass depends very much on your filter choice. With the gold filter the bass is elevated and you might like that. I like the overall profile of the sound but frankly I would not single out the bass; its more the sum of the parts for this unit. But I am deliberately not tuning it for bass alone.

There are more usable filters than on the FLC8D with the A7. At least three of the five filters are viable though I focus on the red and the black. I for one find the bass to be present but not overbearing or overly pervasive with those. With silver there is a harder bass hit, at least to my ears. If you want bass you might look into units that have planars. For a brief period I had the Tri i3 which is a power hungry partial planar. That was a bass monster. After a while I found that annoying but others might not agree.

I actually am a huge fan of the bass profile of the FLC8D; there is a certain resolving nature to its bass that I find engaging. An upright bass on jazz from the 50s and 60s (think Miles Davis; Charles Mingus, Bill Evans Trio) sounds like its right there in your living room.
The A7 doesnt really do much wrong besides the looks of the faceplate. The most versatile iem I can rec and the iem I can rec to most people.

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #513 of 1,219
2020-10-23: Fourth batch of iem measurements:

Audiosense DT200
Blon BL-05
Final Audio E3000
Ibasso IT00
LZ A6 mini
Moondrop KXXS
Tanchjim Hana
ThieAudio Voyager 3
Tingker TK200

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #514 of 1,219
2020-10-25: Final batch of iem measurements!

BQEYZ Spring 2
Blon BL-03 (mesh mod)
Fiio FH3
Final Audio E5000
Intime Sora 2
LZ A6
LZ A7
Moondrop Blessing 2
Shozy Form 1.1
Shuoer Tape
Sony MDR-EX800ST
Sony XBA-A2
Tanchjim Oxygen
Tin Hifi P1
Urbanfun ISS014

Finally done and a total of 55 iems measured (not counting all the different configs some iems have).

I would appreciate if you would join my patreon, as this is really taking a lot of my money. :smirk:

https://www.patreon.com/RikudouGoku

Nov 5, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #515 of 1,219
2020-11-05: Review for the NiceHCK ME80 is up: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-me80.23837/reviews#item-review-24688

And K´s earphone Bell-LB from A to B: Bass quality is pretty bad.

Been a while since I last posted, I am currently working on a terminology list of the terms I use when I describe sound.

As for my plans on 11/11, currently plan to get the Shuoer Tape Pro, Yincrow RW-9, Blon BL-01 and a few Tri Through cables. Although who knows I might add something more lol. :joy:

Nov 6, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #516 of 1,219
Nov 7, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #517 of 1,219
2020-11-07: Sony XBA-Z5 review is up: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/so...ear-headphone.20347/reviews#item-review-24698

Rank A+

Sadly the technicalities keeps it from being S rank. But it is a very enjoyable iem for sure.

I will be getting a review unit of the Shuoer Tape Pro, they are out of stock right now so I dont know when I get it.

Shopping list for 11/11 include the Yincrow RW-9, Blon BL-01 and a few Tri Through cables. If I get something else I dont know, that depends on how good the price is after coupon stacking.

If I dont burn a lot of money on 11/11, I will probably get the Sony XBA-N3.

Nov 7, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #518 of 1,219
2020-11-07: Changes to earbud rankings:

Faaeal Snow Lotus 2.5mm from A+ to A: not very good technicalites and especially the imaging/instrument separation that is a bit congested.

Faaeal Iris CE from A+ to A: Imaging and instrument separation is a bit congested.

Qigom S130 from A+ to A: Imaging and instrument separation is a bit congested.

Earbud ranking now reflects my recommendations on earbuds.

1. Yincrow X6

2. NiceHCK DIY MX500

3. NiceHCK ME80

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #519 of 1,219
Just an update on my haul for this 11/11:

Tri Through (6x)
Blon BL-01
Yincrow RW-9
Toneking Dendroaspis Viridis
Koss KSC75

And Linsoul is going to send me the Shuoer Tape pro whenever they get stock. I am also very likely to buy the Sony XBA-N3.

Nov 16, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #520 of 1,219
Got my Koss KSC75, awesome sound and they are very comfortable (barely feel them). I am just 16 years too late in discovering them lol.

Also went and ordered my last purchase of 2020 (hopefully....):

Sony XBA-N3
Sony MDR-1AM2

So I got these coming:

Yincrow RW-9
Blon Bl-01
Tri Through (6x)
Toneking Dendroaspis Viridis
Shuoer Tape Pro
Sony XBA-N3
Sony MDR-1AM2

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #521 of 1,219
Nov 19, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #523 of 1,219
Based on your past purchases and preferences, you will like the XBA N3. Put some wide bore tips and perhaps a new cable, and it is a keeper for sure. :)
Yeah, I certainly hope I will like it.

Definitely a Sony fanboy now. :joy:

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #524 of 1,219
2020-11-21: Sony MDR-1AM2 rank A-

Here is my impressions on it instead of a review due to a lack of other headphones to compare to:

Non-sound: Plastic but feels well built. Very lightweight and very comfortable but does generate heat due to it being closed-back so be aware of that if you are in a hot environment. Adjustable headband size so should fit everyone, although the pads are quite small horizontally so if you got very big ears it might not fit. Passive isolation is ok, but loses to iems with above average isolation (like the LZ A7).

Sound:
Bass boosted neutral with a little bit of recessed mids.

Has a lot of bass quantity and is bordering on being bloated but still sounds very high quality, very fun and makes the overall sound leaning towards thickness and warmth.

Mids are very well balanced with the male/female vocals. Timbre is very natural, but overall naturality is bottlenecked for the female vocals due to it being too warm and thick while male vocals are excellent.

Treble is very relaxing and non-fatiguing, it isnt dark but it does lack some brightness for the tonality with brighter instruments like violins and therefore is lacking some energy.

Soundstage is of course very big being a headphone but it is smaller than the absolute biggest soundstage iems like the LZ A7 and the Sony XBA-Z5. Imaging, instrument separation and details are bottlenecked by the bass that is bordering on being bloated and the relaxing treble so they are pretty meh and nothing special.

Conclusion: If you like a very bassy and relaxing type of sound, this is a very good headphone, but if you want the best technicalities I believe (and hope) that there are better options (most likely Open-back headphones).

Now I got a question for you guys.
Are you interested in headphones and would you like to see me review them?

I will do my best to not be pulled into the headphone rabbit hole, but I can see a benefit for my iem perspective from using headphones.
And that is that I would be able to say if an iem has a soundstage rivaling/surpassing headphones.

I can already see that benefit with the 1AM2, since I can now declare that the Sony XBA-Z5 and the LZ A7 actually has a bigger soundstage than it does.

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #525 of 1,219
...I have fallen into the headphone hole...Rip.

Ordered the Sennheiser HD 560S and 6 "headphone hangers" (more like banana stands lol)

1606332939574.png

1606332972943.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001IWY8M

Seems like a cheap and good way of storing your headphones. :joy:

And yes, I dont have 6 headphones right now but knowing how it works for me....it wont take long before I surpass that amount. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back